B1G News and Views: 2018-19 edition

hhcmatt

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

https://www.btn2go.com/channel/BTNLIVE

Miles is supposed to be live around 9:10 CST today. It looks like the B1G is clipping these and putting them on youtube so you won't need to worry about missing it live.

?  If you waited until 9:10 to turn on the TV to watch, you likely missed him.  What a waste of time to fly to Chicago to have thee questions asked that could have been asked with a text.  Miles was right with one statement.  The media (at best) was stiff.  Sit in front of the Hoops Central group, and some real fun and questions would be asked.

Some good love for the Huskers, rated 4th.  I am not sure I understand the rationale behind Wisconsin being number 3 though.

Big Ten X-factor: Nebraska point guard Glynn Watson Jr.

For two seasons, as coach Tim Miles told Sporting News, Watson couldn’t take any shot that would upset his coach. The Huskers needed any spark he could provide. When he found himself surrounded by proficient teammates last season, however, Watson sometimes didn’t know to behave. He still forced a lot of the same shots. He shot only .347 from the field and .291 on 3-pointers as a junior. Miles explained that it was an adjustment for Watson to become a creator for others, and that significant progress has been made since last season. If Watson fully embraces that role and still uses his ingenuity as a scorer in late-clock situations, Nebraska could challenge for the Big Ten title.

Two Big Ten Players Named First-Team AP Preseason All-Americans

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/10/24/18020908/big-ten-players-named-first-team-preseason-all-americans-ethan-happ-wisconsin-carsen-edwards-purdue

Carsen Edwards

• Preseason National Player of the Year - Blue Ribbon Magazine
  • 2018 Preseason All-Big Ten Team (unanimous)
  • Big Ten’s preseason Player of the Year
  • 2019 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award watch list (won the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award last season).
  • No. 2 in CBS Sports’s top 100 (and one) college basketball players in the country.

Ethan Happ

• 2018 Preseason All-Big Ten Team (unanimous)
  • 2019 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year Award watch list
  • No. 7 in CBS Sports’s top 100 (and one) college basketball players in the country.

18 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hmm.  I guess I am not that impressed with Happ.  I know he is good, but I think both Isaac and Isaiah match well with him.  

Looking at his career splits, Nebraska has actually done about as good of a job on him as anyone in the conference. He's shooting under 44% for his career in 5 games against the Huskers and his assist total is down as well (just 13 of them in those games to 15 turnovers). The area Nebraska struggles the most is keeping him off the free-throw line as he's taken more shots from there against Nebraska than against anyone else. Fortunately for the Huskers, he's under 50% on those shots.

Also fun fact: Happ has made one career 3-pointer and it was against Nebraska.

Regardless of what he's done against Nebraska, though, he's unquestionably one of the best players in the country and I'd say you can argue he's the best in the conference ahead of Edwards because of all the ways he impacts the game. He's a double-double threat in any gven game and is one of the best passing big men in the country, not to mention he is such a disruptive force on defense with blocks and steals and his overall mobility.

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

With former Illinois guard Mark Smith being immediately eligible with a waiver, do we have  chance with Burke?

Dachon Burke wasn't aware that Nebraska wasn't for everyone when he transferred here which is a hardship that should not be overlooked by the NCAA

On 10/26/2018 at 9:46 PM, hskr4life said:

With former Illinois guard Mark Smith being immediately eligible with a waiver, do we have  chance with Burke?

I think this has been reported in other places but as of last week we were not pursuing a waiver for Burke.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I think this has been reported in other places but as of last week we were not pursuing a waiver for Burke.

Dang it.  I mean the most depth we have on the bench is guard depth, but it would be nice to have a guy who many would probably pick as a starter or 6th man if he were eligible.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Somehow we all missed that Mike Watkins punched a guy because he cut ahead of him at McDonalds and was confronted

https://onwardstate.com/2018/10/16/penn-state-hoops-mike-watkins-cited-for-disorderly-conduct-after-mcdonalds-altercation/

If they jumped in from the side of one of the dual drive throughs I fully understand.  

As noted last year, we need the Big 10 to succeed in the non-con.  So I will try and update this daily with Big 10 games that we need for the conference to be the strongest.

Have to WIN games:

• Nebraska over MVSU
  • Indiana over Chicago St
  • Purdue over Fairfield
  • Maryland over Delaware
  • Minnesota over Omaha
  • Wisconsin over Coppin State
  • Michigan Over Norfolk St

Would be nice to WIN games:

• Michigan State over Kansas