Jervay Green is N

hhcmatt

4 minutes ago, PointGuard said:

De'Quon Lake committed to AZ ST in March 2017 because they had playing time available.  At that time we had Jordy and Copeland.  We got Doby in April with the thought he would only play 5-10 Minutes.  I don't know if we were interested in him, but he probably wasn't interested in Nebraska because of playing time.

Thanks for the info. I dont remember the specifics of that time and obviously hindsight is 20/20. I just remember an IWCC signing with a P5 team and having a solid year on a good team.

1 hour ago, cjbowbros said:

The podcast is up and its all about MAW and Jervay Green go check it out on iTunes. I did find a website with all of his juco games look it up on my Twitter. Info is in my signature below!

https://www.spreaker.com/user/10664638/double-commit-pod-copy

https://api.spreaker.com/v2/episodes/15796901/download.mp3

Make sure you're munching on a bag of Lucky Brand Jerky while listening.    ;)

19 hours ago, big red22 said:

I'd love to hear what Norm thinks of his shooting form.  He form is damn near flawless from what I can see

Lot of good stuff going on in that jumper.  Looks very repeatable.  Compact stroke, not a lot of extra movement.  Very quick.  Gets good elevation.  Balanced.  Range.  NBA range.  Can shoot off the dribble.  This is the kind of player you can be guarding and feel like you're right in his face and he can elevate over top of you and bury a trey.  He does not need much separation to get that shot off.  And because he's a threat to drive and can also shoot from the dribble, defenders will have to respect the drive and can't cheat on defending the shot.  His stats show that his good shooting isn't an artifact of selective video editing.  This guy can score the ball in a variety of ways.  Good offensive pickup for us.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Lot of good stuff going on in that jumper.  Looks very repeatable.  Compact stroke, not a lot of extra movement.  Very quick.  Gets good elevation.  Balanced.  Range.  NBA range.  Can shoot off the dribble.  This is the kind of player you can be guarding and feel like you're right in his face and he can elevate over top of you and bury a trey.  He does not need much separation to get that shot off.  And because he's a threat to drive and can also shoot from the dribble, defenders will have to respect the drive and can't cheat on defending the shot.  His stats show that his good shooting isn't an artifact of selective video editing.  This guy can score the ball in a variety of ways.  Good offensive pickup for us.

I don't see why this guy is not a star with NBA potential. If he can get back to shooting 35+% from three he has the athleticism and fundamental dribbling skills to be a star. It also looks like he has a long wingspan from just watching his arms in videos. I'm not confident about the wingspan part but I think he at least can be a serviceable to great defender. 

So what made him go to juco and why aren't the top dogs going after him?

35 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I don't see why this guy is not a star with NBA potential. If he can get back to shooting 35+% from three he has the athleticism and fundamental dribbling skills to be a star. It also looks like he has a long wingspan from just watching his arms in videos. I'm not confident about the wingspan part but I think he at least can be a serviceable to great defender. 

So what made him go to juco and why aren't the top dogs going after him?

I suspect he went juco because he couldn't qualify.

If he qualified, he'd be joining us now.

On 9/24/2018 at 10:41 AM, cjbowbros said:

For an NBA comparison what about Victor Oladipo?

Quote from the OWN "Green is a 6-foot-3 slasher who can get the rim, and can bother defenders with a long wingspan." 

This kid may be the best prospect Miles has gotten besides maybe Roby. I'm gonna make a hot take and say that I expect green will be in the NBA. I am feeling especially confident after this quote "Fehringer talks with Green often about how former Indiana guard Victor Oladipo averaged 12 deflections per game as a senior." As I made this comparison before this article broke even though it was for totally different reasons :) 

And as a random piece of NBA trivia Robert Covington led the league in deflection rate this year and was nominated to first team all defense so I'm glad to see he is working on this.

2 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Quote from the OWN "Green is a 6-foot-3 slasher who can get the rim, and can bother defenders with a long wingspan." 

This kid may be the best prospect Miles has gotten besides maybe Roby. I'm gonna make a hot take and say that I expect green will be in the NBA. I am feeling especially confident after this quote "Fehringer talks with Green often about how former Indiana guard Victor Oladipo averaged 12 deflections per game as a senior." As I made this comparison before this article broke even though it was for totally different reasons :) 

And as a random piece of NBA trivia Robert Covington led the league in deflection rate this year and was nominated to first team all defense so I'm glad to see he is working on this.

RoCo is a solid all-around dude for the Sixers.

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

Of course, I trust the process. ;)

Dang it you were supposed to say "Yeah you know Lickface" I will now not explain that comment and stop highjacking this thread.

21 minutes ago, big red22 said:

The only thing I don't like from his stat sheet is he had 3 disqualifications in 35 games

"Der Linkage"

Yeah it seems like his biggest obstacle may just end up being himself. But at least we haven't heard anything like his juco grades are bad or anything.

28 minutes ago, big red22 said:

The only thing I don't like from his stat sheet is he had 3 disqualifications in 35 games

"Der Linkage"

Also looks like the games they're playing have a lot more possessions than the games he'll be playing here. I'm not overly concerned about that. He only had 3 other games where he picked up 4 fouls. Roby's played with a lot more foul trouble than that in his time here and is doing just fine.

16 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Also looks like the games they're playing have a lot more possessions than the games he'll be playing here. I'm not overly concerned about that. He only had 3 other games where he picked up 4 fouls. Roby's played with a lot more foul trouble than that in his time here and is doing just fine.

Oh crap I was really confused by this and thought it meant he was ejected 3 times fouling out is not nearly as worrisome.

If he's a solid to good defender (wingspan bothering opposing players leading to deflections) then this is one hell of a pickup, because the kid can ball on the offensive end.

I'd like to see his 3-pt % get back up to where it was in his HS days.  He obviously has the ability to shoot accurately.  His freshman year might just have been a one-off situation from getting used to faster players on the defensive side and trying to force his game as opposed to letting it come to him.  We'll see if that doesn't improve quite a bit this season, just as it did for JPJr. last year.