2019 Nebraska baseball

throwback

On 2/24/2019 at 7:00 PM, HB said:

And massive number of strikeouts.  Not sure what our approach is at the plate but we sure don't put it in play. 

Having no power and not putting it in play is a good combination right?  At least we have no speed either.  I have said it before and will say it again.  Erstad has no clue on the recruiting front.  Need bigger faster players and teach them to play baseball better.  These small slow guys are never going to work.  

21 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

No Luensmann in the rotation. Hopefully this isn’t an indication of arm issues, but I’m expecting the worst. 

Hes a guy we can’t afford to lose. Our starting rotation is still pretty brutal. With that said, it may not be injury. It could be Silva/Erstad toying with him again like they have done since he arrived on campus. Either make him a starter or the closer and commit to it. 

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Hes a guy we can’t afford to lose. Our starting rotation is still pretty brutal. With that said, it may not be injury. It could be Silva/Erstad toying with him again like they have done since he arrived on campus. Either make him a starter or the closer and commit to it. 

It's like musical chairs - Waldron comes as relief in game 4 1st weekend of season, two weeks he's starting Friday night against the #3 team in the nation. Luensmann starts against top 5 Oregon State Friday night, no where to be found in the rotation a week later. Seems like they throw sh*t against the wall every season, and see what sticks.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, royalfan said:

Having no power and not putting it in play is a good combination right?  At least we have no speed either.  I have said it before and will say it again.  Erstad has no clue on the recruiting front.  Need bigger faster players and teach them to play baseball better.  These small slow guys are never going to work.  

This recruiting class was very good.  Whether or not they develop is another story.  We have 12 stolen bases already this season after 10 games.  The weather everywhere this year has been crappy. Hopefully,  we get some home games soon and the weather warms up. Schewellenbach has decent speed and size.  Gomes, I heard, from Ben and Greg has good size and speed.  Palinsky has a chance to be a double figure home run guy.  The key to this season, like all seasons comes down to pitching.  My dream rotation this year is Waldron, Gomes, Fischer.  Future rotation would be Gomes, Perry, and Blessie.  I think Gomes has the chance to be Joba.  I thought someone said he got up to 94 on the gun the other night.  Blessie was 86 - 91 on the highlight film I watched.  Perry reached 89 according to his scout page.  

On 3/5/2019 at 11:54 PM, brfrad said:

This recruiting class was very good.  Whether or not they develop is another story.  We have 12 stolen bases already this season after 10 games.  The weather everywhere this year has been crappy. Hopefully,  we get some home games soon and the weather warms up. Schewellenbach has decent speed and size.  Gomes, I heard, from Ben and Greg has good size and speed.  Palinsky has a chance to be a double figure home run guy.  The key to this season, like all seasons comes down to pitching.  My dream rotation this year is Waldron, Gomes, Fischer.  Future rotation would be Gomes, Perry, and Blessie.  I think Gomes has the chance to be Joba.  I thought someone said he got up to 94 on the gun the other night.  Blessie was 86 - 91 on the highlight film I watched.  Perry reached 89 according to his scout page.  

You are right, I am wrong.  Just like how we shouldn't retain Miles because we won't get anyone good anyway.  We are blessed with an embarrassment of power and speed.  256 players have as many or more homers as we do as a team.  I would say we could use a different recruiting approach.  We are 108th in steals as a team at least.   Brfrad assures us we are recruiting great though.  We are fine.  

Edited by royalfan

16 hours ago, royalfan said:

You are right, I am wrong.  Just like how we shouldn't retain Miles because we won't get anyone good anyway.  We are blessed with an embarrassment of power and speed.  256 players have as many or more homers as we do as a team.  I would say we could use a different recruiting approach.  We are 108th in steals as a team at least.   Brfrad assures us we are recruiting great though.  We are fine.  

Yep.  Gomes, Palinsky, and Schwellenbach have no business being Division I baseball players.  They don't meet Royals size specifications. DIbaseball ranked the class as 16th best in the country.  But, hey what do they know?  

I am not a huge Erstad supporter.   I think he should have been let go after last year.  I also have high expectations for the baseball program.  I think they need to win the Big 10 more than once in 8 years.  They should have 3 or 4 titles by now, imo.  They should for sure make the conference tournament every year.  He did a good job with this recruiting class, and we will find out if that translates into wins.

If we are talking about this year, we need to point out the gauntlet that we have faced so far.  Arguably we should be 7-6 as we gave that one to SHSU.

UC Riverside (Road) #143 RPI- 3 wins and 1 loss

Oregon State (Neutral) #3 RPI- 0 wins and 4 losses

Texas Tech (Neutral) #2 RPI- 1 win and 0 losses

Sam Houston State (Neutral) #42 RPI- 0 wins and 1 loss

Baylor (Road)- #185 RPI- 2 wins and 1 loss

Edited by hskr4life

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If we are talking about this year, we need to point out the gauntlet that we have faced so far.  Arguably we should be 6-5 as we gave that one to SHSU.

UC Riverside (Road) #143 RPI- 3 wins and 1 loss

Oregon State (Neutral) #3 RPI- 0 wins and 4 losses

Texas Tech (Neutral) #2 RPI- 1 win and 0 losses

Sam Houston State (Neutral) #42 RPI- 0 wins and 1 loss

Baylor (Road)- #185 RPI- 2 wins and 1 loss

Nebraska is 6-7 currently.

If you want to see something interesting go look at NMSU (weekend opponent) hitting stats.

They have a guy hitting .545 11 homers and 42 ribs - that is absolutely bonkers through 17 games. In fact they have two guys who have hit 11 homers. 

They are hitting over .400 as a team. 

They are slugging over .700 as a team (We have no one player on our entire team slugging that high).

I'm not saying this as a dig on Nebraska, just to say NMSU are mashing right now. 

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

If you want to see something interesting go look at NMSU (weekend opponent) hitting stats.

They have a guy hitting .545 11 homers and 42 ribs - that is absolutely bonkers through 17 games. In fact they have two guys who have hit 11 homers. 

They are hitting over .400 as a team. 

They are slugging over .700 as a team (We have no one player on our entire team slugging that high).

I'm not saying this as a dig on Nebraska, just to say NMSU are mashing right now. 

While impressive, quality of competition must be taken into account as well.  While we have played teams mostly with a pulse, they have not.  Our one series that we didn't play a team with a real pulse, we scored 48 runs in 4 games.

Nebraska Schedule- UC Riverside, Oregon State, Texas Tech, SHSU, Baylor.

NMSU- Texas Southern, Yale, Texas Tech (Single game and got shut out 7-0), Deleware, LaSalle.

27 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

While impressive, quality of competition must be taken into account as well.  While we have played teams mostly with a pulse, they have not.  Our one series that we didn't play a team with a real pulse, we scored 48 runs in 4 games.

Nebraska Schedule- UC Riverside, Oregon State, Texas Tech, SHSU, Baylor.

NMSU- Texas Southern, Yale, Texas Tech (Single game and got shut out 7-0), Deleware, LaSalle.

Oh they’ve played nobody, but there will be dudes that make all conf teams that don’t hit 11 bombs and 42 ribs the entire season. 

22 hours ago, brfrad said:

Yep.  Gomes, Palinsky, and Schwellenbach have no business being Division I baseball players.  They don't meet Royals size specifications. DIbaseball ranked the class as 16th best in the country.  But, hey what do they know?  

I am not a huge Erstad supporter.   I think he should have been let go after last year.  I also have high expectations for the baseball program.  I think they need to win the Big 10 more than once in 8 years.  They should have 3 or 4 titles by now, imo.  They should for sure make the conference tournament every year.  He did a good job with this recruiting class, and we will find out if that translates into wins.

So you are saying he changed his recruiting approach to get power and speed guys?  He sure has hell has been an unmitigated disaster on this front so far in his tenure.  Assuming that changed seems to be a bold statement you are making.