2018 Husker Volleyball

Cowboy Kermit

18 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

And it's one of those where if they called it 'in' and Cook challenged it, then I'd be like "I'm not sure how they could overturn it to out."

Not saying the refs used the same logic as the announcers, but the announcers said "well the ball gets flat at impact." That's great. Was it flat on the line? Was it flat just off the line? Show me how you can overturn that call?

We've come to trust the tennis computers. It's hard to trust an eyeball test to consider that worthy of overturning a call.

7 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

And it's one of those where if they called it 'in' and Cook challenged it, then I'd be like "I'm not sure how they could overturn it to out."

Not saying the refs used the same logic as the announcers, but the announcers said "well the ball gets flat at impact." That's great. Was it flat on the line? Was it flat just off the line? Show me how you can overturn that call?

We've come to trust the tennis computers. It's hard to trust an eyeball test to consider that worthy of overturning a call.

Agree!! Cook has said for years that Volleyball should go to the tennis computers.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

So proud to be a Husker:

"If we should lose, we'll stand by the road, And cheer as the winners go by." ...not draw pictures of middle fingers and pointing guns at your opponent.

That is disgraceful as hell. wish we would have beat their asses in three sets.

the standard to overturn calls on replay is universal: it has to be conclusive. and I didn't see that. And the notion that a ball flattens on impact is just someone utterly stupid in physics. The ball's initial contact point is small. The flattening happens AFTER the first contact, fast as that may be. So that might be the dumbest explanation I've ever heard for pretty much anything with the exception of flat earthers. 

Baseball fans everywhere had to be appalled at that call. And if the live call had stood, it would've been a 13-13 match on the next point instead of 14-12 and match point. 

Stanford's a fine team and a very worthy champion. But so was this NU team, which up until that review, had two more total points than the Trees. That call likely determined the champion. And that sucks. 

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

So proud to be a Husker:

"If we should lose, we'll stand by the road, And cheer as the winners go by." ...not draw pictures of middle fingers and pointing guns at your opponent.

You mean the hashtag #f***s***b**** was probably a little inappropriate to be posted on the NCAA Volleyball account.   They deleted the tweet by the way.

17 hours ago, mwm89 said:

West Coast derangement?  What coach would allow this?  I guess we know.  ?

I coach who looks like a plastic Pinocchio with weird skunk hair who couldn't beat us when he was in the same conference with us.

Also the hand shake line was "funny" John was polite and even laughed a bit, the new young guy coach walked by with that "WTF" did I just live through this year dazed look on his face?...But, Banworth looked like she was headed to the film room to see that picture and then to the gym to get it ready for next year.. Intense would be an understatement.?

Nebraska lost it because NU kind of gave away that 1st set, although the Huskers battled back. That 2nd set was much better, then the 3rd was brutal. Turned it around big-time in the 4th, only to kind of lose control of the 5th such that the controversial reversal played a huge role... it should have never got to a 5th! It was so important to take the fight to Stanford from the jump. Put the pressure on the overwhelming favorite. Oh well, it was a heck of a wild ride by a "rebuilding" team with 8 newcomers. Wow, Cook is a really really really good coach.

5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I coach who looks like a plastic Pinocchio with weird skunk hair who couldn't beat us when he was in the same conference with us.

Also the hand shake line was "funny" John was polite and even laughed a bit, the new young guy coach walked by with that "WTF" did I just live through this year dazed look on his face?...But, Banworth looked like she was headed to the film room to see that picture and then to the gym to get it ready for next year.. Intense would be an understatement.?

Stanford might enjoy the spoils of a title won on the court, but they're not the victors in the grand scheme of life, and what matters most!

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska lost it because NU kind of gave away that 1st set, although the Huskers battled back. That 2nd set was much better, then the 3rd was brutal. Turned it around big-time in the 4th, only to kind of lose control of the 5th such that the controversial reversal played a huge role... it should have never got to a 5th! It was so important to take the fight to Stanford from the jump. Put the pressure on the overwhelming favorite. Oh well, it was a heck of a wild ride by a "rebuilding" team with 8 newcomers. Wow, Cook is a really really really good coach.

Yeah, that's for sure!!  A really really good season in which the team made many strides throughout the season to get as close as they did.  Remarkable.  I expect the same level of success next year, or a little more.  ? ?

16 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Stanford might enjoy the spoils of a title won on the court, but they're not the victors in the grand scheme of life, and what matters most!

Have you read the twitter and responses to the LJS on line?  Our own people are calling a some of us a bunch of whinny snowflakes because we didn't like what we saw on the white board.   Guess I'm a snowflake, well more like a big snow ball, because I saw it as not even classless.  I see it as where we have gone at sporting events.  Scream at the officals, the other teams shouldn't cheer for their own team and they are loosers any way.  I guess I am as bad as anybody, but I had hoped that some of our instutions of higher learning coaches and athletes wouldn't need that but guess I was wrong.

40 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Have you read the twitter and responses to the LJS on line?  Our own people are calling a some of us a bunch of whinny snowflakes because we didn't like what we saw on the white board.   Guess I'm a snowflake, well more like a big snow ball, because I saw it as not even classless.  I see it as where we have gone at sporting events.  Scream at the officals, the other teams shouldn't cheer for their own team and they are loosers any way.  I guess I am as bad as anybody, but I had hoped that some of our instutions of higher learning coaches and athletes wouldn't need that but guess I was wrong.

That's the worst of it, Sliver. The coaches had to have known that these athletes did this. And neither the athletes nor the coach apologized for their stupidity. That's a darn shame.

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That's the worst of it, Sliver. The coaches had to have known that these athletes did this. And neither the athletes nor the coach apologized for their stupidity. That's a darn shame.

Well Pinocchio is still probably drunk from Saturday along with the rest of his band of wondering trees.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Their AD issued a public apology for them.  It's probably the right move for the coach and players to keep their mouth shut really.  No need to drag something that should be kept private into public debate.  Just let it die.

https://deadspin.com/stanford-apologizes-for-volleyball-teams-drawing-of-tre-1831130144

...and I'm not really that upset by the drawing.  Maybe a little disappointed by the apparent display of poor sportsmanship, but again that's me and people have differing opinions on what is appropriate sportsmanship and what is not, so it is what it is.  It just seems that a school as highly regarded as Stanford would hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior and to that end that's what's the real disappointment for me.

I was, however, reasonably impressed with their artistic skill in rendering Herbie fairly accurately.  So kudos for that at least!

37 minutes ago, 49r said:

Their AD issued a public apology for them.  It's probably the right move for the coach and players to keep their mouth shut really.  No need to drag something that should be kept private into public debate.  Just let it die.

https://deadspin.com/stanford-apologizes-for-volleyball-teams-drawing-of-tre-1831130144

...and I'm not really that upset by the drawing.  Maybe a little disappointed by the apparent display of poor sportsmanship, but again that's me and people have differing opinions on what is appropriate sportsmanship and what is not, so it is what it is.  It just seems that a school as highly regarded as Stanford would hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior and to that end that's what's the real disappointment for me.

I was, however, reasonably impressed with their artistic skill in rendering Herbie fairly accurately.  So kudos for that at least!

I was listening to 590 on my way back into the office today. And they were saying that Lexi Sun dated Mo Bamba while they were at Texas.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Yeah, I'm disappointed as well. Stanford should be ashamed, and profusely apologize for the team's stupidity. I expect more from coaches, particularly.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I was listening to 590 on my way back into the office today. And they were saying that Lexi Sun dated Mo Bamba while they were at Texas.

Yeah, the Mo Bamba comment struck me as Harambe-esque. Kind of a deranged hashtag, as well as the various curse words as well. Deranged.... disgusting. Whatever, it's lame. I am just sad.

Edited by AuroranHusker