2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

8 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yeah I think that’s probably what made him the number five player in the country or whatever he is. Seems like he’s not doing much then all of a sudden he’s got 25 points, hand full of boards and assists. 

I hope he goes somewhere with a tough-minded, hold you accountable, defensive minded coach. Because he could be elite. 

6 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Does he shoot it well? I see him make tough 2’s a lot, but I’ve seen very few kick out 3’s. Most has to be off the dribble, right?

Also, if he’s a point guard....... he’s got some work to do. Johnson is the point guard on that team and without him, they don’t win that game. Sallis struggled when asked to bring it up two years in a row now. 

Sallis is super confusing to me. I’ve watch him play on TV and in person a lot. Never come away super impressed with his strictly basketball ability. I’ll watch him and go, “that’s a 5 star, eh?” And then I’ll look at the box score and he had 25/8/5 lol. Then I won’t watch and see he puts up 30+ against Oak Hill..

So I dunno man. All I know is I’ve seen a dude get his pocket picked left and right when asked to bring the ball up the court two years in a row now and not guard hardly anyone. But then again, he fills up the stat sheet. 

I know it wasn't always him doing the picking but no one should feel comfortable bringing the ball up against Hepburn. On the best day of my life, if he was guarding me I would just hand him the ball to speed things up and save the embarrassment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Phew-- I can still cheer for him since he didn't choose the blue school.  HA!

So I was thinking about this today-- and it isn't related specifically to Hunter though he is included in the thought.  Think of how many of these kids are having to make these decisions this year without even visiting a campus.  I mean... not only is it one of the biggest decisions of their lives, they are now doing it, most likely, without ever stepping foot on the campus.  It's just crazy.  

With that in mind, I wonder if we'll see an increase in transfers in the next 1-2 years because of this.  How many kids chose a school that wasn't the right fit?  How many kids get homesick when they "really" see how far away from home they are.  

I'm part surprised by this, and part incredibly excited about this. I also basically stopped following his recruiting months ago, so maybe this isn't news to anyone. 

On one hand - he's a national recruit and I'm surprised he chose to go somewhere where over half your games are against mid-major competition. Also, Gonzaga is a tough find for TV, being small-conference and West Coast. However - Gonzaga does play big games in the non-con, and they are a lock for a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament year in, year out. 

That being said, I am super excited about this because Mark Few does not F*** around. There's not many other coaches around with the security he has, and he will iron out all the flaws in Hunter's game and approach to the game. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Phew-- I can still cheer for him since he didn't choose the blue school.  HA!

So I was thinking about this today-- and it isn't related specifically to Hunter though he is included in the thought.  Think of how many of these kids are having to make these decisions this year without even visiting a campus.  I mean... not only is it one of the biggest decisions of their lives, they are now doing it, most likely, without ever stepping foot on the campus.  It's just crazy.  

With that in mind, I wonder if we'll see an increase in transfers in the next 1-2 years because of this.  How many kids chose a school that wasn't the right fit?  How many kids get homesick when they "really" see how far away from home they are.  

My thoughts exactly 😃.  Someday, maybe Nebraska can start getting top instate kids in men's hoops.  Life isn't as black and white as I once thought, so each kid has to make the best decision for himself and family. I just hope Nebraska hoops starts to be that "best decision" for future recruits (maybe starts with the GI kid Traudt).  Good luck to Sallis, what a great opportunity for this young man.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I'm part surprised by this, and part incredibly excited about this. I also basically stopped following his recruiting months ago, so maybe this isn't news to anyone. 

On one hand - he's a national recruit and I'm surprised he chose to go somewhere where over half your games are against mid-major competition. Also, Gonzaga is a tough find for TV, being small-conference and West Coast. However - Gonzaga does play big games in the non-con, and they are a lock for a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament year in, year out. 

That being said, I am super excited about this because Mark Few does not F*** around. There's not many other coaches around with the security he has, and he will iron out all the flaws in Hunter's game and approach to the game. 

They check the boxes of winning and stable that kept us out of consideration.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I would guess that Few's pitch was: "We'll plug you into Jalen Suggs' spot. You're a perfect fit." As soon as I saw Suggs play this year, I figured Hunter was going to the Zags. Very similar skills, physiques. 

Funny that his announcement date came right ahead of this weekend's game. Looks like large quantities of blue Tums will be consumed.

3 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

Really would have liked to see him playing for the Huskers and helping to build this program. Sallis and Bryce McGowens together would have been something fun to see. Happy for him though and hope things work out for him at Gonzaga. It will be fun to watch him in that offense.

I might be dead wrong as I am often but I would have loved to have seen Bryce and Chucky together as our back court for the next few years.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

I might be dead wrong as I am often but I would have loved to have seen Bryce and Chucky together as our back court for the next few years.

If NU had made the dance in 2018, Miles could very well still be here and Chucky likely would be, too. But, Bryce probably wouldn't. It'll be interesting to see how that little ripple in time works out.

7 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I hope he does well. I'm sure he would always be able to transfer back to Nebraska if his Seattle experience proves disappointing. Maybe he's just ready to leave Omaha.

Spokane. Although I am sure the Huskies would accept him.

• 2 years later...
37 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't care. He's going to go somewhere else. I'm not just not getting my hopes up, I am affirmatively saying I don't care. Let him be somewhere else. I'm not interested.

I agree with this. Seems like there's always a kick to a groin when at rock bottom.