2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

And Arop too.

Would fans be satisfied going 18-12 or 19-11 and being an NCAA bubble team every year with that roster?  Because that's honestly about what Miles would have been able to do.

I might be...

But like Dimes, I'm all in on the Hoiberg train now so it is only going to cause heartburn to think about the what ifs otherwise.

I feel the same. I liked Miles and I like Hoiberg. (That team is still missing a big, which of course was a problem for Tim)

Classic Nebrasketball to have a guy get murdered for not being able to recruit the state of Nebraska (including me) and then to not be here at the point he potentially finally figured it out. I'm all in on the Hoiberg era but i'm going to check and see how much blood is in my urine after listening to that podcast.

In a world where some kids base their college decision on tweets I can very much respect a kid who has put thought into their list of schools beyond how it's going to look in a graphic.

Didn’t have it figured out until it was too late. Miles and his staff had the relationships with these guys, but weren’t around to see them through.

We just need some frickin players to build some success under HCFH so that the next time a 5-star kid comes out of Omaha, he has a reason to consider us.

For the record, I would prefer more of a mix of HS and transfer talent. So, if Sauter accurately characterized what Sallis told him, I don't really disagree with Hunter's thoughts here. It just would have been nice to make the top 12 and not make the top 5, let's say.

11 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

This is pretty interesting analysis from Mike Sautter:

https://omaha.com/sports/podcasts/prep-zone-report/watch-now-sam-mckewon-joins-the-prep-zone-report-to-discuss-recruiting-news-super-six/article_58c1b4d5-adc3-5bdd-be68-75e7b2eaec39.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_NEPrepZone

Main reasons Hunter didn't include NU: (1) had a relationship with Miles staff and liked TM. Sautter thinks he would have come if Miles had stayed (sorry to restir that pot). Lewis is the reason UCLA made the list. He said UConn would have made the list but Kenya Hunter left for Indiana. I'd missed that. (2) Likes Fred, but the transfer culture doesn't appeal to him. Has to mix in as a freshman with 21-22 year olds and some character issues. Could refer to a combination of Cam and Teddy coming in, Sautter didn't specify.

This'll drive the Miles haters crazy.  Couldn't base his firing on possibly getting a kid to commit to us years down the road over KU, Kentucky, UNC, Ect... but id doesn't take the sting out.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

This'll drive the Miles haters crazy.  Couldn't base his firing on possibly getting a kid to commit to us years down the road over KU, Kentucky, UNC, Ect... but id doesn't take the sting out.

Call me crazy, but I think 230 games is a sufficient sample size to know what a coach can and can't do.

Sallis is going to be a great player one day, but I don't think he'll be any better than Banton as a combo guard at the college level.

I think Tominaga is a pretty special find and will be very impactful at the guard position in a year.  

I'm not saying Sallis wouldn't be welcomed, but I'm saying we should field a pretty complete team without him.  He's only a 31% 3pt shooter at the high school level, and he's not a true point guard.  I think it'll take some time for him to contribute to a blue blood in D1.  Compare that to Tominaga who is shooting nearly 50% from 3 with comparable ball skills.  Hunter can be an elite defender at the next level, but I don't see him being that great on the offensive end from a scoring standpoint.  

No sour grapes here though.  Go where you want, kid.  

8 hours ago, 49r said:

And Arop too.

Would fans be satisfied going 18-12 or 19-11 and being an NCAA bubble team every year with that roster?  Because that's honestly about what Miles would have been able to do.

I might be...

But like Dimes, I'm all in on the Hoiberg train now so it is only going to cause heartburn to think about the what ifs otherwise.

Hoiberg is the steal of the next decade in all of college basketball.  I firmly believe this.  There is no way I'm an AD and turn him down in that situation.  There weren't any other candidates better than Miles (I thought Miles did a great job) to come here except for that miracle.  Fred is a dude.  It's only a matter of time with him at the helm.  

Congrats to the young man.

As a life long Husker basketball fan I would be lying if I said if I could play anywhere with places like UK and KU promising me major minutes I'd still go to Nebraska. 

Heres the thing and feel free to downvote but we as fans and the coaching staff should take it as a slap in the face that we didnt make the top 12. 

We by all measures sucked last year. The good news is and I truly believe this we have a great staff but this should sting because we still have work to do. 

I'm too lazy to look it up what was Fred's highest graded recruit that wasnt a transfer ar ISU?

7 hours ago, LK1 said:

Sallis is going to be a great player one day, but I don't think he'll be any better than Banton as a combo guard at the college level.

I think Tominaga is a pretty special find and will be very impactful at the guard position in a year.  

I'm not saying Sallis wouldn't be welcomed, but I'm saying we should field a pretty complete team without him.  He's only a 31% 3pt shooter at the high school level, and he's not a true point guard.  I think it'll take some time for him to contribute to a blue blood in D1.  Compare that to Tominaga who is shooting nearly 50% from 3 with comparable ball skills.  Hunter can be an elite defender at the next level, but I don't see him being that great on the offensive end from a scoring standpoint.  

No sour grapes here though.  Go where you want, kid.  

I could argue that we would have fielded a competitive with Erick Strickland, Mikki Moore, Bernard Garner, Jaron Boone, and Terreance Badgett without Tyronn  Lue but I wouldn't. 

9 hours ago, LK1 said:

Now that is a hot take.  Hope you're right...but I don't think you are.  Will be fun to report back here in a few years (if anyone remembers to).

On 8/26/2020 at 6:15 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

This is pretty interesting analysis from Mike Sautter:

https://omaha.com/sports/podcasts/prep-zone-report/watch-now-sam-mckewon-joins-the-prep-zone-report-to-discuss-recruiting-news-super-six/article_58c1b4d5-adc3-5bdd-be68-75e7b2eaec39.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_NEPrepZone

Main reasons Hunter didn't include NU: (1) had a relationship with Miles staff and liked TM. Sautter thinks he would have come if Miles had stayed (sorry to restir that pot). Lewis is the reason UCLA made the list. He said UConn would have made the list but Kenya Hunter left for Indiana. I'd missed that. (2) Likes Fred, but the transfer culture doesn't appeal to him. Has to mix in as a freshman with 21-22 year olds and some character issues. Could refer to a combination of Cam and Teddy coming in, Sautter didn't specify.

Probably spot on but Sautter is the guy who broke our latest football recruit's news 30 minutes before Thomas had his day, there for he needs to atone for that before I will listen to him.  

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Now that is a hot take.  Hope you're right...but I don't think you are.  Will be fun to report back here in a few years (if anyone remembers to).

Not really.  Sallis reminds me a lot of Romeo Langford, who was an inefficient 5* volume scorer as a freshman at Indiana and shot 27% from three.  There are one and dones who are going to have immediate impacts in the NBA as lottery picks, and there are developmental first round one and done picks who have all the talent in the world but need development.  I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Sallis is a lottery pick after next season, but I'm guessing he's a first rounder based on his upside.  

Sallis would likely become a name to remember in the college ranks, but he's not going to stay in college long enough for that to happen.

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I could argue that we would have fielded a competitive with Erick Strickland, Mikki Moore, Bernard Garner, Jaron Boone, and Terreance Badgett without Tyronn  Lue but I wouldn't. 

Tominaga is as good as Lue was out of high school.  Here's 50 minutes of his highlights at a higher than high school level.  He's a different cat, and Fred's going to get a lot of praise for finding him:

20 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Not really.  Sallis reminds me a lot of Romeo Langford, who was an inefficient 5* volume scorer as a freshman at Indiana and shot 27% from three.  There are one and dones who are going to have immediate impacts in the NBA as lottery picks, and there are developmental first round one and done picks who have all the talent in the world but need development.  I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks Sallis is a lottery pick after next season, but I'm guessing he's a first rounder based on his upside.  

Sallis would likely become a name to remember in the college ranks, but he's not going to stay in college long enough for that to happen.

Langford is a fair comparison, at least for Sallis' floor.  I think Sallis is less selfish on the court though, and can thrive whether he's asked to be a volume scorer or complimentary piece.  Also think Sallis seems like a very smart kid, and I personally put a lot of stock in that.  Not saying Romeo isn't smart (no clue one way or the other), but Sallis really seems to have a good head on his shoulders which, IMO, means he's likely to produce well above his floor.

Regarding your other post about Tominga, totally agree.  That dude is a total steal for us.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:46 AM, aphilso1 said:

Sounds like reasonable, well-thought out decision making to me.  And honest too; keeping Nebraska on the list would've been the easy (but dishonest) thing to do.  Maybe some of the adults on this board could take a maturity lesson from this 18 year old kid.

Friday, he said in the rivals article that Nebraska was definitely still up there, and then Sunday, not it the top 12, so you are saying he was dishonest with rivals?  Doubt, he was coming for the various reasons mentioned, but in two days not sure how we go from definitely still up there to not in top 12.

1 hour ago, bigred4 said:

Friday, he said in the rivals article that Nebraska was definitely still up there, and then Sunday, not it the top 12, so you are saying he was dishonest with rivals?  Doubt, he was coming for the various reasons mentioned, but in two days not sure how we go from definitely still up there to not in top 12.

Did the interview actually happen Friday, or was that content saved from a week or two prior?  A lot can change in a couple weeks, I know it did for me when I was making college choices.  Sometimes you sit down and just realize a school isn't the right fit, even though you want it to be.  The school goes from a 'maybe' to a 'definitely not.'  

Here is my two cents and yes, it is partly due to his decision not to come here.  

I am impressed with his game, but I am a bit amazed that he is a five star.  He doesn't have all the tools, but yes, with time, commitment and great coaching he may be the greatest player to come out of Omaha.  

That said, he still takes a number of plays off.  Others (many) do that as well.  But when I've watched him that was a take away.  I also waited for him to take games over, and that didn't happen when I watched.  Perhaps that is due in part to the talent around him.  I guess I was more upset with Chuckie taking his show to  Wisconsin then Sallis going elsewhere.  

That all said...i would have taken this kid in a nano second. 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, LK1 said:

Tominaga is as good as Lue was out of high school.  Here's 50 minutes of his highlights at a higher than high school level.  He's a different cat, and Fred's going to get a lot of praise for finding him:

I'm impressed with Tominaga, but that's pretty bold. Tyronn was well regarded out of high school. Instant impact player for us and all-big 12 by the time he was a sophomore. Also, they're very different players. Tyronn was a pure point guard and just as good on defense as he was on offense. 

1 minute ago, millerhusker said:

I'm impressed with Tominaga, but that's pretty bold. Tyronn was well regarded out of high school. Instant impact player for us and all-big 12 by the time he was a sophomore. Also, they're very different players. Tyronn was a pure point guard and just as good on defense as he was on offense. 

Tyronn is an all time great at NU, but he worked his ass off on his game when he got here.  Keep in mind Tominaga is two years older and has semi pro and semi collegiate experience to boot.

But, yes, definitely different players.  I think they’ll be equally impactful newcomers.  My main point was, in Fred’s 5 out system, junior Tominaga may be a better fit alongside Banton than true freshman Sallis would’ve been.  

I’m in general agreement with that notion that Sallis is not a 5* player yet, but he may go crazy his senior year.  If he gets a real 3pt shot (31% is not a 5* combo guard percentage imo), this one will hurt a lot more.  

Tominaga can flay out shoot the rock, score the ball, tickle the net, et al.  The concern for me will be if he can defend at this level and do the other things necessary to be a complete/team player.  But then again, perhaps the staff simply wants a role player that can come off the bench and scorch the net.  We shall see.