2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Anybody poo-poo-ing Alabama's basketball roster isn't paying attention.  They are loaded with 4 and 5 star guys all down the bench, they've been doing pretty well on the recruiting trail.  I would consider us fortunate to ever get to the point to have as much talent on our team as they do.

For the record I'm poo-pooing their basketball success for the last decade.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, Norm Peterson said:

One thing we have going for us that we've NEVER had going for us before is a coach with a big name who played in the pros, coached in the pros, and got it done at the college level. Never had that before. I'd say we've got a puncher's chance.

I think we punched ourselves in the face.  

1 hour ago, hhcdave said:

No, not blaming Williams for Sallis not coming. Sallis was never going to come here, Williams or not. 

I’m blaming him for the Top 12 snub to throw a middle finger at Nebraska. 

I don't understand this mentality at all. It was pretty much universally agreed that there was a very slim chance he was ever going to stay in state. You yourself say he was never going to come here. So you're upset that Nebraska didn't get a participation trophy by making a top 12 that doesn't really matter? We are manufacturing "snubs" now to make ourselves feel better?

Did you ever think he was "taking the high road" by saying all the right things in the media about Nebraska to keep that relationship cordial? Maybe you could argue that he was stringing us along when we had no chance...but based on the reaction from this, can you imagine how everyone would be killing him on social media if he had come out and said that directly weeks/months ago?

Edited by Omaha415

1 minute ago, Omaha415 said:

I don't understand this mentality at all. It was pretty much universally agreed that there was a very slim chance he was ever going to stay in state. You yourself say he was never going to come here. So you're upset that Nebraska didn't get a participation trophy by making a top 12 that doesn't really matter? We are manufacturing "snubs" now to make ourselves feel better?

Did you ever think he was "taking the high road" by saying all the right things in the media about Nebraska to keep that relationship cordial? Maybe you could argue that he was stringing us along when we had no chance...but based on the reaction from this, can you imagine how everyone would be killing him on social media if he had come out and said that directly?

Some fair points.

However, to play devils advocate, do you really believe he's considering all 12 of those schools? I don't. There's no way it's more than 6-8. I would bet you agree.

Yes, I'm aware he's only visited one on an official (Gonzaga) but he only in theory gets 5 visits anyways. Do you actually believe he's going to go to Auburn, Alabama, Iowa State or Oregon over Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Kentucky or even Creighton?

So why slap the home university in the face? You couldn't keep them on over Auburn, Alabama, Iowa State, or make a Top 13?

Not making the Top 5 isn't a snub.

But not making the Top 12 is a middle finger.

12 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Some fair points.

However, to play devils advocate, do you really believe he's considering all 12 of those schools? I don't. There's no way it's more than 6-8. I would bet you agree.

Yes, I'm aware he's only visited one on an official (Gonzaga) but he only in theory gets 5 visits anyways. Do you actually believe he's going to go to Auburn, Alabama, Iowa State or Oregon over Kansas, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Kentucky or even Creighton?

So why slap the home university in the face? You couldn't keep them on over Auburn, Alabama, Iowa State, or make a Top 13?

Not making the Top 5 isn't a snub.

But not making the Top 12 is a middle finger.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on your point of view I suppose. I think the five you listed are probably the final five; in that order maybe too. Maybe Creighton in front of Kentucky, since Kentucky came in late and will have a bunch of other five stars.

Could also be that he listed other schools because he's built good relationship with the coaches like Pearl, Altman, Oats, etc. Could there be subtext there that Hoiberg and staff never built a great relationship? Sure. Do I think it was a purposeful middle finger to Nebraska? No. I think you're seeing shadows that aren't there.

Why is it a slap in the face to not include Nebraska? Is it a prerequisite that if you are from the home state you have to include that school? he has a little to no ties to the University that I'm aware of so he owes us nothing.

Edited by Omaha415

1 hour ago, hhcdave said:

If he had it narrowed down to 6-8, then the he likely would've made a Top 10 just to get a nice even number.  12 is an oddly specific number, which tells me that those are the schools that still have a shot.  Not an equal shot obviously, but enough of one to still be under current consideration.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This is where I'm at. Who knows, he could have told NU he's going to a blue blood and we stopped wasting our time. 

Agreed. I just don't subscribe to the notion that NU was wronged in any way by this announcement. When its stated by someone that there is "no way" that anyone outside a "top 6-8" has a chance, why does that same person take it as an affront that NU wasn't 12? Or even more laughable... Why not make it a "top 13?" If you aren't in the group that's being seriously considered, does it even matter whether you are 12, 13, or 35?

It's not like this was a Josh Freeman situation... The consternation over not making a top 12 list is stupid.. Wait...we wanted a pat on the head to feel like we were special? It just comes off a sour grapes for no reason.

Edited by Omaha415
Spelling

7 hours ago, 49r said:

Anybody poo-poo-ing Alabama's basketball roster isn't paying attention.  They are loaded with 4 and 5 star guys all down the bench, they've been doing pretty well on the recruiting trail.  I would consider us fortunate to ever get to the point to have as much talent on our team as they do.

Agreed. Nate Oats is absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail. Alabama will be awesome next year. 

I thought he was coming here & the appeal of being “the MAN” @ his home State U, taking them where they’d never been before would be too tempting to pass up. (Especially with Freddie’s Run n Gun) Now, I’ll have to hope we’re in the Sweet Sixteen while he’s sitting in Lawrence with KU on probation...

Of course it stings but it is good to know where we stand and can move forward. A year ago I thought we had a shot but have slowly figured out (I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer) that he was taking his 5* talent elsewhere. Guessing he will be a Jayhawk. puke puke 

This is pretty interesting analysis from Mike Sautter:

https://omaha.com/sports/podcasts/prep-zone-report/watch-now-sam-mckewon-joins-the-prep-zone-report-to-discuss-recruiting-news-super-six/article_58c1b4d5-adc3-5bdd-be68-75e7b2eaec39.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_NEPrepZone

Main reasons Hunter didn't include NU: (1) had a relationship with Miles staff and liked TM. Sautter thinks he would have come if Miles had stayed (sorry to restir that pot). Lewis is the reason UCLA made the list. He said UConn would have made the list but Kenya Hunter left for Indiana. I'd missed that. (2) Likes Fred, but the transfer culture doesn't appeal to him. Has to mix in as a freshman with 21-22 year olds and some character issues. Could refer to a combination of Cam and Teddy coming in, Sautter didn't specify.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

https://omaha.com/sports/podcasts/prep-zone-report/watch-now-sam-mckewon-joins-the-prep-zone-report-to-discuss-recruiting-news-super-six/article_58c1b4d5-adc3-5bdd-be68-75e7b2eaec39.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_NEPrepZone

Main reasons Hunter didn't include NU: (1) had a relationship with Miles staff and liked TM. Sautter thinks he would have come if Miles had stayed (sorry to restir that pot). Lewis is the reason UCLA made the list. He said UConn would have made the list but Kenya Hunter left for Indiana. I'd missed that. (2) Likes Fred, but the transfer culture doesn't appeal to him. Has to mix in as a freshman with 21-22 year olds and some character issues. Could refer to a combination of Cam and Teddy coming in, Sautter didn't specify.

This was an interesting video. Thanks for sharing. It makes sense that the high roster turnover that Hoiberg's staff operates with can be unappealing to high school recruits. I was more concerned with Sautter more or less saying that Hunter doesn't really want to deal with players with baggage. That's the risk you take with bringing in players like Cam and Teddy. 

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Sautter thinks he would have come if Miles had stayed

Classic Nebrasketball to have a guy get murdered for not being able to recruit the state of Nebraska (including me) and then to not be here at the point he potentially finally figured it out. I'm all in on the Hoiberg era but i'm going to check and see how much blood is in my urine after listening to that podcast.

In a world where some kids base their college decision on tweets I can very much respect a kid who has put thought into their list of schools beyond how it's going to look in a graphic.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Sounds like reasonable, well-thought out decision making to me.  And honest too; keeping Nebraska on the list would've been the easy (but dishonest) thing to do.  Maybe some of the adults on this board could take a maturity lesson from this 18 year old kid.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Classic Nebrasketball to have a guy get murdered for not being able to recruit the state of Nebraska (including me) and then to not be here at the point he potentially finally figured it out. I'm all in on the Hoiberg era but i'm going to check and see how much blood is in my urine after listening to that podcast.

In a world where some kids base their college decision on tweets I can very much respect a kid who has put thought into their list of schools beyond how it's going to look in a graphic.

We can play the what if game. What if Miles lands Sallis, Hepburn, Williams and then Mors jumps in as well.

2 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

We can play the what if game. What if Miles lands Sallis, Hepburn, Williams and then Mors jumps in as well.

And Arop too.

Would fans be satisfied going 18-12 or 19-11 and being an NCAA bubble team every year with that roster?  Because that's honestly about what Miles would have been able to do.

I might be...

But like Dimes, I'm all in on the Hoiberg train now so it is only going to cause heartburn to think about the what ifs otherwise.