2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

On 6/30/2020 at 9:11 AM, hhcmatt said:

Would you play Sallis and Hepburn at the same time or is Wisky recruiting over the top of Chucky?

I know Rivals and 247 keep calling him one, but Hunter isn't a natural point guard. You want that guy focusing on getting buckets, and he's grown enough to be just fine at the two. I'd be surprised if Wisconsin was a significant threat to land him, but they'd have no problems playing Chucky and Hunter together, and Chucky certainly isn't going to stop recruiting him (heck, he used some of his post-championship press conference to try to recruit Hunter to play with him this summer). 

• 5 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

One thing we have going for us that we've NEVER had going for us before is a coach with a big name who played in the pros, coached in the pros, and got it done at the college level. Never had that before. I'd say we've got a puncher's chance.

Agree with you 100%, but I'm going to be shocked if he commits to Nebraska. To get kids as highly ranked as him to come here, Nebraska has to show success.

Obviously we all really want Sallis to end up here.  A homegrown 5* is rare.  But I really, really like this kid.  He's got such a good head on his shoulders.  Humble, smart, dedicated, and loads of natural talent.  He's a surefire, can't miss, star.

Count me in the corner of being VERY VERY disappointed with this kid.

You put out a Top 12 and don't even put down the main in state university? Two days after going out wearing a Nebraska shirt? Two days after talking to Robin Washut and saying Nebraska is "very much in the hunt"?

You put ALABAMA in the Top 12 over Nebraska? There's a 0% chance he goes to Alabama.

You put OREGON with Dana Altman and CREIGHTON on the list but not Nebraska.

It's a real slap in the face but here's what I'm 99% sure happened.

Donovan Williams (one of Hunter's best friends) has had his panties in a bunch since Nebraska cooled off on him, withdrawing the offer because of his injury and not really ever seeing him play (though Matt A DID see him play well before Hoiberg took this job. In February of 2019 when St John's was in Omaha to play Creighton).

Did Hoiberg mess up in slow playing/cooling on Williams? Probably so.

But ever since then, it's clear Williams has been frustrated and irked by Nebraska especially if you see some of his interaction with Husker fans on social media.

I believe Sallis was NEVER going to come here and did his buddy a solid by throwing a middle finger at Nebraska in not including them in the Top 12. Instead of taking the high road, he wanted to send a message.

You absolutely don't diss the state university that much unless there's an agenda/message being sent. There's no world where some of those schools (like Alabama) belong on that list over Nebraska or that he'd ever consider them.

To do all this just mere days after repping Husker Hoops gear isn't a 17 year old being a 17 year old.

It's sending a message.

Message received. I wish nothing ill on you Hunter but I hope you regret not coming to Nebraska and wonder "what if" when you're a 7th man at Kansas as an upperclassman and we are in the Sweet 16 where you could have been a legend.

I actually think Hunter is tighter in state wise with Chucky. But I know he and Donovan are buddies as well. Regardless, this one stings. I do think it’s a slap in the face to not put the in state university in your top 12. I mean, he should’ve just released a top 20 at this point...

Whether intentional or not, it does feel like a pretty big slight and hindsight is 20/20. Let’s get Traudt and Jasen Green!!! 

“I also want to win, and (these programs) give me the best opportunity to do that.”

I think the 17 straight losses make it hard to sell the program as "on the rise." The roster turnover also isn't a hopeful sign. If Hunter's a one-and-doner, then why would he go to a school that's rebuilding? I look at his recent indications of interest as an attempt to throw a bone our way when he really had no intention of going here. The staff can now focus on guys who are really interested.

Edited by Chuck Taylor
add quote

Alabama is the real kick in the nuts there. They aren't exactly a blue blood and they play at a similar pace to us. Nate Oats put up a respectable year though. I wonder if we make that list if we'd finished over .500 last year.

To put a rationalization bow on it, there isn't a lot of difference between the teams that didn't make the top 12 cut and the top 2.

10 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Donovan Williams (one of Hunter's best friends) has had his panties in a bunch since Nebraska cooled off on him, withdrawing the offer because of his injury and not really ever seeing him play (though Matt A DID see him play well before Hoiberg took this job. In February of 2019 when St John's was in Omaha to play Creighton).

Did Hoiberg mess up in slow playing/cooling on Williams? Probably so.

But ever since then, it's clear Williams has been frustrated and irked by Nebraska especially if you see some of his interaction with Husker fans on social media.

I believe Sallis was NEVER going to come here and did his buddy a solid by throwing a middle finger at Nebraska in not including them in the Top 12. Instead of taking the high road, he wanted to send a message.

So we're blaming Sallis not coming to Nebraska on Donovan Williams? 🙄