2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

Does anyone on this board have any reasonable hope Sallis chooses NU? Is the growing uncertainty at KU something which factors in to his choice, and would it matter considering N. Carolina offered? Any insights are appreciated. I don't want to get my hopes too high but considering Hoiberg and Abdelmassih are chasing him- not past coaching staffs- I can't seem to abandon some hope.

22 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Does anyone on this board have any reasonable hope Sallis chooses NU? Is the growing uncertainty at KU something which factors in to his choice, and would it matter considering N. Carolina offered? Any insights are appreciated. I don't want to get my hopes too high but considering Hoiberg and Abdelmassih are chasing him- not past coaching staffs- I can't seem to abandon some hope.

Hunter is 100% heading to a blue blood. Most likely UNC, but if Duke offers I've heard he'll pull the trigger immediately. Regardless, don't waste your time worrying about Hunter heading to L-town, unless he decides to transfer if he's playing a diminished role wherever he chooses. 

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Hunter is 100% heading to a blue blood. Most likely UNC, but if Duke offers I've heard he'll pull the trigger immediately. Regardless, don't waste your time worrying about Hunter heading to L-town, unless he decides to transfer if he's playing a diminished role wherever he chooses. 

No way in hell even a transfer is possible.  He's OAD all the way.

The whole Hunter Sallis phenomena has been a bit perplexing to me.  He is easily the highest rated kid from Nebraska in the Rivals era.  I think Justin Patton was in the 40’s.  Maybe I am totally wrong but I struggle to see him having a first year impact close to what Patton did at Creighton (albeit after a redshirt season).

When he was on the circuit at some elite camps the word was he held his own.  Positive news but doesn’t scream 5 star on the surface. Since we aren’t privy to what goes on during those camps it is hard to tell what that means.  

In high school competition in Nebraska he has shown well, but for a 5 star I was kind of expecting Andre Woolridge type dominance.  Now part of him not doing that is probably because Millard North is loaded with division 1 talent (never though I would type that about a Nebraska high school team in my lifetime).  

He may very well be a five star talent.  I have just been having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one for awhile.  Unless he goes to Nebraska.  Then 5 star for sure.  It will be very interesting to watch his career unfold and see how he adjusts to division 1 basketball wherever he ends up.

Just now, aphilso1 said:

One and done, I assume

Ah, yes that's it.

Charles Matthews was a 5 star at Kentucky, a near top 10 rated guy out of HS.  Didn't quite work out and he had a great career at Michigan.

Hallis might be one and done but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'd say the same thing about Jonathan Kuminga.

Hunter is a very solid talent but based on the times I've seen him play, I don't buy it that he is the 11th best player in the country.  I would love to see him at NU but unless he wants to play close to home, he will hitch his wagon to a school that competes for National Championships.  Hopefully that will be Nebraska someday soon with Fred in charge.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Ah, yes that's it.

Charles Matthews was a 5 star at Kentucky, a near top 10 rated guy out of HS.  Didn't quite work out and he had a great career at Michigan.

Hallis might be one and done but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'd say the same thing about Jonathan Kuminga.

It's hard to know exactly what NBA guys are looking for though.  Tyrese Halliburton is a sure-fire lottery pick apparently and for the life of me I don't know why.  There are other top 10 guys like you mention that seem to have middling college careers and never really pan out.

Yeah and maybe I should have chosen my words with a little more care.

If he's rated that highly now he will most likely be looked at as the one and done type of guy and will likely want/need to go to a draft factory like UNC/Duke/KU etc to maximize his value in that regard.

If he goes to, say, UNC and doesn't pan out there right away, he most likely won't be all that appealing as a sit out transfer for a place like KU.  But who knows?  I'm just spitballin' I guess.

2 hours ago, Vinny said:

Overrated, underrated, one and done, four year player, I don’t know. I’d just love to see him (especially as a homegrown talent) play for Nebraska and help us establish higher competitive standard for the program.

That’s pretty much where I am at, especially considering we are in a golden age for hoops talent in Nebraska.  My concern would be that the expectations heaped on him as a 5 star, national top 12 recruit, would not be attainable.  He is a nice player but I don’t see a day 1 dominator.  The best example to explain what I mean is Dapreis Owens, from back in the Carl Hayes days.  He was a top 50 national recruit (unheard of for us back then...well  i guess there was a guy named Hoppen) who really never hit his stride until his junior year if I remember right.    He was kind of a disappointment early on because of his recruiting pedigree but eventually hit his stride.  People tend to want instant gratification and if Hunter happens to come here I want him to have a chance to develop and succeed without people getting disappoint he isn’t immediately setting the world on fire.

10 hours ago, busticket said:

That’s pretty much where I am at, especially considering we are in a golden age for hoops talent in Nebraska.  My concern would be that the expectations heaped on him as a 5 star, national top 12 recruit, would not be attainable.  He is a nice player but I don’t see a day 1 dominator.  The best example to explain what I mean is Dapreis Owens, from back in the Carl Hayes days.  He was a top 50 national recruit (unheard of for us back then...well  i guess there was a guy named Hoppen) who really never hit his stride until his junior year if I remember right.    He was kind of a disappointment early on because of his recruiting pedigree but eventually hit his stride.  People tend to want instant gratification and if Hunter happens to come here I want him to have a chance to develop and succeed without people getting disappoint he isn’t immediately setting the world on fire.

Agree about the expectations. For the record I don’t think he’s coming here and so he won’t have to worry about those expectations, it’s just what I want to happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...