2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

7 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

To be fair, our fan base does seem to overreact, so I understand the argument. He could go to a blue blood and just be another guy, focus on himself, and not have to face that pressure. I don't like hearing that side of it, but I do understand it. 

This is in NO way directed towards you specifically OHusker. But that argument they threw out speaks to a mindset that we should “stay in our lane” & hope for the best. This also feeds into the ridiculous implied goal of winning “A game” in the NCAA tournament, which drives me nuts. Our goal EVERY year should be to qualify for the Tournament & ADVANCE as far as we can...! Otherwise, you might as well board up that arena right now.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

This is in NO way directed towards you specifically OHusker. But that argument they threw out speaks to a mindset that we should “stay in our lane” & hope for the best. This also feeds into the ridiculous implied goal of winning “A game” in the NCAA tournament, which drives me nuts. Our goal EVERY year should be to qualify for the Tournament & ADVANCE as far as we can...! Otherwise, you might as well board up that arena right now.

Totally agree with you. I was just playing devil’s advocate more or less. I think once we win that NCAA tourney game the fan base mentality will change. A majority of our fan base is smart enough to know we’ll never be Kansas, but we should and can be one of these other quality Midwest teams that expect to make the tourney every year or other year at the least and hope for the best when we get there. I think that’s a healthy expectation. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

They had a ridiculous argument on Sip/Jake this morning that Nebraska shouldn’t go after someone “this talented” because of the pressure our long suffering fan base would put on the young man. To quote Eddie Albert from the Longest Yard: “That’s the biggest crock of horses**t I’ve ever heard in my life”...

tenor.gif?itemid=8304598

21 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

They had a ridiculous argument on Sip/Jake this morning that Nebraska shouldn’t go after someone “this talented” because of the pressure our long suffering fan base would put on the young man. To quote Eddie Albert from the Longest Yard: “That’s the biggest crock of horses**t I’ve ever heard in my life”...

All you had to say was Sipple/Jake....those guys are a joke. 

19 hours ago, FredsSlacks said:

if duke/kentucky/unc don't offer, i think we'll have a chance.

kansas/gonzaga/ucla have only produced a handful of 1 and done players in the last 5 years.

and hoiberg has more nba connections than any school that has offered him.

This.  Don't forget Fred is a DUDE in the basketball world.  I guarantee he goes to bat hard for any program-changing kid who commits here.  When you have every NBA GM on a first name basis, your fringe NBA players are going to get a serious look.  I think Fred will get Cam to the league, and that will be the first of many.  

1 hour ago, swmckewon said:

Gonzaga will heavily be in the mix here. 

So will every school since he's a 5 star and top 20 national prospect.  Most blueblood schools and everyone else will give him an offer.  He just has to decide the best fit for him as no school is going to not take him.

5 hours ago, swmckewon said:

Gonzaga will heavily be in the mix here. 

Great Coach, great program but not sure why top kids would go there. Play the vast majority of your games against low level programs in small venues with limited TV. Would think you’d want top level competition and visibility to get to the NBA.

will be surprised if he goes there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Art Vandalay said:

Great Coach, great program but not sure why top kids would go there. Play the vast majority of your games against low level programs in small venues with limited TV. Would think you’d want top level competition and visibility to get to the NBA.

will be surprised if he goes there.

It may appeal if he doesn't want to stay home yet doesnt want KUs pressure cooker.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Art Vandalay said:

Would think you’d want top level competition and visibility to get to the NBA.

Gonzaga has had 7 players drafted in the 1st round since 2006 and that included Morrison who went 3rd overall. Gonzaga is a brand name in college basketball. Plus if you're an NBA level talent, the NBA will find you.

6 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

Gonzaga has had 7 players drafted in the 1st round since 2006 and that included Morrison who went 3rd overall. Gonzaga is a brand name in college basketball. Plus if you're an NBA level talent, the NBA will find you.

I like Zaga it’s a great program and definitely not saying he won’t make it going there. More why would you want to if you could play at a major power school in a major conference. Playing vs Duke, UNC, etc every week sounds better than Portland, Santa Clara, Pepperdine’s of the world. Maybe he is someone that wants something more low key but if I am a top 100 guy I want to play with and against the best on a regular basis,  it just a cou-le early season games a year.

6 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

I dont follow CBB closely (so i could be wrong) but from my understanding the Zags bring in a lot of highly coveted international players and have been good at developing underrated prospects from the states / finding over looked kids. They get those two types of kids to the NBA and do it very well. 

Do they have a track record of taking in top flight talent from the states and getting them to the league?

Please correct me if im wrong. Like i said, aside from Nebrasketball, i dont follow the sport too closely.

42 minutes ago, khoock said:

I dont follow CBB closely (so i could be wrong) but from my understanding the Zags bring in a lot of highly coveted international players and have been good at developing underrated prospects from the states / finding over looked kids. They get those two types of kids to the NBA and do it very well. 

Do they have a track record of taking in top flight talent from the states and getting them to the league?

Please correct me if im wrong. Like i said, aside from Nebrasketball, i dont follow the sport too closely.

They've recruited really well as of late, top 15 class in 2019 (4 top 100 kids), top 10 class for 2020 (3 top 100 players).

@Art Vandalay Zaga is a small conf team, but it's easy to see why they're recruiting at such a high level. Kids know the brand, they're on ESPN all the time serving as the late game pretty much every time they're on the floor. They're always involved in a big non-con tournament and get 2-3 huge matchups in that, as well as actively schedule a couple more big conf opponents, they've made it to sweet 16 weekend of the NCAA's the past 5 years, pretty sure they've sold out their 6,000 seat arena since they opened the place (not a huge arena , but they've out drawn fellow west coast P5's like Cal, Oregon St, USC). I definitely wouldn't be scratching my head if Sallis chose Gonzaga. 

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

They've recruited really well as of late, top 15 class in 2019 (4 top 100 kids), top 10 class for 2020 (3 top 100 players).

@Art Vandalay Zaga is a small conf team, but it's easy to see why they're recruiting at such a high level. Kids know the brand, they're on ESPN all the time serving as the late game pretty much every time they're on the floor. They're always involved in a big non-con tournament and get 2-3 huge matchups in that, as well as actively schedule a couple more big conf opponents, they've made it to sweet 16 weekend of the NCAA's the past 5 years, pretty sure they've sold out their 6,000 seat arena since they opened the place (not a huge arena , but they've out drawn fellow west coast P5's like Cal, Oregon St, USC). I definitely wouldn't be scratching my head if Sallis chose Gonzaga. 

Even then you get 5-6 high level games out of 30, instead of 20 in big boy conferences. They might get him and I will cheer for him wherever he goes. I still think most major talents want the challenge of going against the best players on prime time TV.  Not late night games very few people watch against weak opponents.

30 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Even then you get 5-6 high level games out of 30, instead of 20 in big boy conferences. They might get him and I will cheer for him wherever he goes. I still think most major talents want the challenge of going against the best players on prime time TV.  Not late night games very few people watch against weak opponents.

I get what your saying, night in and out you’d be on a bigger stage in the B1G or ACC. But at the same time it isn’t the same as it was 30 years ago. Gonzaga will be on TV night in and out, they’ll be in the hunt for a #1 seed, and he’s gonna be on the NBAs radar. I get the iron sharpens iron mindset but guys like Rui have made the jump just fine. Gonzaga gives you as good of a shot at a Natty and the NBA as any of the bluebloods. 

34 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It would appear that you can catch Millard North with Sallis and Co. vs North Star who happens to have DW tonight via News Channel Nebraska

You can pay to stream this online here: https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/news-channel-nebraska/gam6270e6634b

It might be available via NCN's website but I doubt it  https://metro.newschannelnebraska.com/watch