2021 SG Hunter Sallis 5 star

AuroranHusker

10 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Need to land him. NEED to. 

It’d be amazing, but kids gonna have a number of blue blood offers. Hard to expect us to beat out the programs producing lottery picks year in and out, in year 2 of the Hoiberg era. I’m gonna keep my expectations in check on this one.

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Basically confirms he's not staying instate now

I'm not so sure.

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/now-a-5-star-sallis-has-reached-uncharted-territory

“It’s my home state,” Sallis told HuskerOnline.com last month. “My family could come watch me play and it’s really close to home. Really, the coaching staff, I know (Hoiberg’s) background is really good and he’s an NBA coach. That’s always good having that connection…

Used to be if one of our targets were offered by Gonzaga, Kansas or the like, we could pretty much forgettaboutit.

I'm not so sure anymore; with Head Coach Fred Hoiberg and his style of play, coaching prowess and history of putting players in the NBA. Go play for a storied-program (Zags one of my favorite teams), or a chance to make some history of your own. A much tougher decision for highly-regarded prospective recruits than in the past, I'm sure!

1 minute ago, Red Don said:

I'm not so sure.

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/now-a-5-star-sallis-has-reached-uncharted-territory

Used to be if one of our targets were offered by Gonzaga, Kansas or the like, we could pretty much forgettaboutit.

I'm not so sure anymore; with Head Coach Fred Hoiberg and his style of play, coaching prowess and history of putting players in the NBA. Go play for a storied-program (Zags one of my favorite teams), or a chance to make some history of your own. A much tougher decision for highly-regarded prospective recruits than in the past, I'm sure!

Key words in that article and that quote from Sallis are "last month". Before he was a 5 star and before he started getting calls from blue bloods. 

He's rapidly approaching 1-and-done territory now, and honestly, I'm not sure that's exactly the kind of guy you need for building a program like we're trying to do. LSU and Washington have both missed the NCAA tournament recently with the #1 ranked player one and done guy.

I could be wrong and I often am, but my thought process here is if he's an instate 3 year, 4* guy we go after him.  If he's a one and done, he probably needs to go somewhere that's going to maximize his NBA lottery potential.  Like I said, I can be and probably am wrong on this.

I still would be over the moon if he chooses Nebraska though.

55 minutes ago, 49r said:

If he's a one and done, he probably needs to go somewhere that's going to maximize his NBA lottery potential.

This is exactly where I'm at. 

With the roster we'll have two years from now, I'm not very sure I'd want to be a one-and-done type player heading into that if I'm trying to get on the court and build my draft stock. Assuming everyone stayed, starting lineup in Fall 2021 more than likely will be...

Mack - Senior

Banton - RS Junior

Stevenson - RS Senior

Teddy - Senior

Walker - RS Senior

Hunter isn't going to come to Nebraska to come off the bench, so who you sitting for a freshman? 

48 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

This is exactly where I'm at. 

With the roster we'll have two years from now, I'm not very sure I'd want to be a one-and-done type player heading into that if I'm trying to get on the court and build my draft stock. Assuming everyone stayed, starting lineup in Fall 2021 more than likely will be...

Mack - Senior

Banton - RS Junior

Stevenson - RS Senior

Teddy - Senior

Walker - RS Senior

Hunter isn't going to come to Nebraska to come off the bench, so who you sitting for a freshman? 

If I had to guess... Mack won't be here as a Sr.  We'll be lucky to have him a year from now from the sounds of him wanting to go pro.

10 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Here are the instate kids that have cracked the Rivals top 150

Hunter Sallis - 20

Justin Patton- 45   

Akoy Agau- 87

Mike Gesell - 100

Max Murrell- 103

Donovan Williams - 127

Matt Hill - 127

Chucky Hepburn - 129

Hunter would be the first one - if you don’t count Williams’s commit/decommit 

Wasn't Wes Wilkenson a top 150 guy or am I thinking somewhere other than Rivals?

15 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If I had to guess... Mack won't be here as a Sr.  We'll be lucky to have him a year from now from the sounds of him wanting to go pro.

Ya that's true. I tried to say assuming everyone stays, but you're right it's unlikely. Mack would leave right now for the NBA if he could lol. 

18 hours ago, 49r said:

He's rapidly approaching 1-and-done territory now, and honestly, I'm not sure that's exactly the kind of guy you need for building a program like we're trying to do. LSU and Washington have both missed the NCAA tournament recently with the #1 ranked player one and done guy.

Shoot, put me in the camp that would take him regardless of whether he is a one and done guy or not.  I understand the rationale for having players around for more than a year to help build a program for sustained success BUT we're talking about a kid that would be here in year 3 of Hoiberg and I think the foundation and pieces will be much better established by then.  And if the roster still needs work, I'll take my chances with Sallis for a year in the hope we make a good run in the tourney to further boost our national profile with other high level recruits.

18 hours ago, 49r said:

Our last three commits have been JUCOs.  A 1-and-done is exactly the type of guy were are looking for to quickly build this program like we are trying to do.

If LSU and Washtington had better coaches they probably would have made the tourney.

They had a ridiculous argument on Sip/Jake this morning that Nebraska shouldn’t go after someone “this talented” because of the pressure our long suffering fan base would put on the young man. To quote Eddie Albert from the Longest Yard: “That’s the biggest crock of horses**t I’ve ever heard in my life”...

34 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

They had a ridiculous argument on Sip/Jake this morning that Nebraska shouldn’t go after someone “this talented” because of the pressure our long suffering fan base would put on the young man. To quote Eddie Albert from the Longest Yard: “That’s the biggest crock of horses**t I’ve ever heard in my life”...

Excuse me?  That’s the worst argument ever.  That’s like saying I shouldn’t try to hire the top candidate for a position that has struggled in the past.

55 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

To be fair, our fan base does seem to overreact, so I understand the argument. He could go to a blue blood and just be another guy, focus on himself, and not have to face that pressure. I don't like hearing that side of it, but I do understand it.