ESPN Films: 30 for 30 - Last Days of Knight

49r

So I've been a subscriber to ESPN+ since it's inception last spring.  For me it's been worth every penny of the $4.99 a month cost, and one of the things I have access to as a subscriber is the exclusive 30 for 30 episode they have "Last Days of Knight".

Last night I finally got around to watching it.  Excellent, as are all the other 30 for 30's, I wondered if any other HHC'ers have seen this episode?  If so, what did you think?

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=LastDaysofKnight

It is, very good.  Our very own Coach Lewis is shown/mentioned in a couple of places.  That's what I was hoping to have a discussion about because he could be considered somewhat of a controversial figure in the whole drama.

For those that are on the fence, ESPN is running a 30 day free trial of ESPN+ right now.  Might be worth a try if for no other reason than to watch this episode.

I haven't seen it but it should be interesting. Sort of makes one think about how much times have changed. Coaches like Knight, Woody Hayes, Bear Bryant, and even our own Danny Nee wouldn't last long enough now to achieve any success in their profession. Even the most successful ones today have to be blander and more like politicians in order to last long enough to establish their programs. I miss the old days.

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I assume this clip part of it

Not sure if Lewis was interviewed for this piece but he's of the mindset that Knight pushed him to be a better player

No they didn't show any of that exchange.  What they did show was a clip from a TV news report (I assume) from that time that included a sound byte or two from Lewis.  He was very vocal in his support of Knight up until even the end.

It's hard to explain without getting into the whole context of the show but he doesn't come off in the 30 for 30 just the best.  Then again he was a youngster at the time and like you said I think he got a lot out of being coached by Bobby Knight so his maybe nonchalance  could be forgiven to a certain extent.  I just thought it was an interesting dynamic and cool to think that there's one degree of separation from today's Nebrasketball to what is undoubtedly one of college basketball history's greatest coaches.

4 hours ago, 49r said:

No they didn't show any of that exchange.  What they did show was a clip from a TV news report (I assume) from that time that included a sound byte or two from Lewis.  He was very vocal in his support of Knight up until even the end.

It's hard to explain without getting into the whole context of the show but he doesn't come off in the 30 for 30 just the best.  Then again he was a youngster at the time and like you said I think he got a lot out of being coached by Bobby Knight so his maybe nonchalance  could be forgiven to a certain extent.  I just thought it was an interesting dynamic and cool to think that there's one degree of separation from today's Nebrasketball to what is undoubtedly one of college basketball history's greatest coaches.

I'm sure you could find guys who would go to bat for Pelini as well.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I'm sure you could find guys who would go to bat for Pelini as well.

Sure, but Knight was like Pelini on steroids.  Plus he had decades of very high level success with his program so by the end there weren't as many Indiana fans who were ready to pull the plug.  It made for a much different dynamic.

• 2 months later...

Just finished watching it. A pretty sad way to finish my night. Two Ted Valentine glimpses as I had predicted. Coach Lewis was an apologist for Coach Knight as a team captain might have been expected to be. As for Knight, he pretty much comes off as a jerk. Very riveting story about the abuse of power and the positive role which honest journalism can play in exposing it.  

Watched it on ESPN tonight, actually had Michael Lewis on there quite a bit, I forgot he was a Senior and Captain on Coach Knight’s last team.  I should mention, the parts that have coach Lewis on the show are interviews and quotes from him back in 2000. Would recommend it, it has quite a bit of “bleep” “bleep” lol

There are some interesting truisms about Bobby:

* He is/was and will likely always be socially inadequate...or in other words, a jerk.

* He had a clear agenda, and that was to please one person...him.  

* Bobby was not a great basketball tactician.  John Wooden is an example of great tactician.  Bobby was an authoritarian and believed that if you do one thing, and you do it with the greatest effort and precision, you could be successful.  And he proved that on the court.  He won, often armed with intimidation.

I sort of liked Bobby, but it was from afar and it was because I thought his teams played with great discipline.  But it wasn't until my later years that I learned that, with that discipline, came the distastefulness of bullying, boorish behavior and severe anti-social habits.  I moved away from admiration to disdain.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Like a lot of successful people Knight can be generous, kind, and warm to loyal syncophants, but a mean-spirited, vicious bully to those who cross him. Inevitably abuses of power result and eventually the "feet of clay" are exposed and the icon tumbles a la Woody Hayes, Paterno, and a myriad of other examples of those who have been led to believe they are above rules of common decency. The tragedy of this story was the wasted years of Neil Reed's short life caused by Knight's behavior.

Edited by jimmykc

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Watched it on ESPN tonight, actually had Michael Lewis on there quite a bit, I forgot he was a Senior and Captain on Coach Knight’s last team.  I should mention, the parts that have coach Lewis on the show are interviews and quotes from him back in 2000. Would recommend it, it has quite a bit of “bleep” “bleep” lol

Haven't seen the piece, but rumor has it Lewis had hair back then.  Can anyone confirm?