Practice Countdown

throwback

36 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

A guy like Diaz would be a welcome addition to this year's squad, to be honest. The guy on Iowa (who's name escapes me, NU recruited him....) reminds me of Jorge in a way.

A guy like Diaz would be welcome on almost every year's squad. If he had healthy feet, I believe he would have been one of the most successful Husker players in program history. I believe a healthy Diaz is a more effective player than Aleks Marić and we got a lot out of Marić.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

A guy like Diaz would be welcome on almost every year's squad. If he had healthy feet, I believe he would have been one of the most successful Husker players in program history. I believe a healthy Diaz is a more effective player than Aleks Marić and we got a lot out of Marić.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but Maric led the league in FG% his junior year and was second his senior year.  He is still #12 all-time on the Big 12's career FG% chart.  He's also 8th on the all-time conference list in rebounds, and 7th all-time in free throw attempts.  And to top it off he was a stud on the defensive end.  I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no chance that JBD would've had a "more effective" career than Aleks Maric.  JBD could've had bionic feet for all it mattered, he still would never have gotten out from Aleks' shadow.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but Maric led the league in FG% his junior year and was second his senior year.  He is still #12 all-time on the Big 12's career FG% chart.  He's also 8th on the all-time conference list in rebounds, and 7th all-time in free throw attempts.  And to top it off he was a stud on the defensive end.  I'm sorry, but there's absolutely no chance that JBD would've had a "more effective" career than Aleks Maric.  JBD could've had bionic feet for all it mattered, he still would never have gotten out from Aleks' shadow.

You seem to think I'm throwing shade on Aleks. He was a big man and cast a huge shadow. I watched those years and know exactly how important he was. His tendency to miss bunnies at inopportune times frustrated me but the guy was an absolute stud for Nebraska. I just think Diaz's skill set would have made him just as effective if that phrasing allows you to stomach the claim a tiny bit more. He had drop steps baseline and middle, jump hooks with both hands, mid-range jumpers, and could put the ball on the floor against big men for a dribble or two. If you watch him after his Husker career you will see him knock down threes and surprisingly throw it down with some authority. He also showed the ability to effectively pass out of the post. I can find the stats for his Puerto Rican team as 14.5 PPG, 38% from 3 and 66% FG, 6.5 RPG and 1.8 blacks. He could do so much if he was healthy enough to move he would have been unguardable in the college game. Maric is one of the all-time Husker greats and I suppose I may have gotten carried away but I was always in love with Diaz's skill set and felt he could do so much more if his feet allowed him. My bottom line is a healthy Diaz would have helped almost if not every Husker team that took the floor.

While at Nebraska, JBD lacked that "killer instinct" you want D-I athletes to have. I remember reading an article where JBD was asked, "If you could have any super power, what would it be?" His answer was "invisibility". I'm not sure a guy who wishes he was invisible is capable of being a better college player than Maric, but he absolutely would have been a welcome addition to any roster in recent memory.

It appears JBD has found some confidence, improved his game, found a perfect fit, or whatever now; but as a 20 year-old kid, I don't think him being healthy would have necessarily equated to a drastically better performance on the court.

I liked a lot about Doc, but I felt like his personality and approach to coaching was the absolute worst thing a terrified kid from PR could walk into as his US introduction.  That entire process was a trainwreck to the end and a complete waste of talent while he suited up here.  He was a way better player than we developed, and he left as soon as possible.

Maric was a true traditional center.  JBD was a 4 back then.  I would argue they played different positions, but I would also offer up the pro careers of both to indicate Maric was quite a bit more valuable to any team.  He's had a great pro career in Europe.  His career reflects Tai in that he worked his ass off to improve each season on the court and in the weight room.  He was a great representative of our program.  

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Are the odds of Heiman playing this year at 50/50 or is he still more than likely to Redshirt? If he's unable to give us serviceable minutes I'd hate to see him buried on the bench.

My best guess would be 60/40 in favor of a redshirt at this point.. Those odds were probably 80/20 when he first stepped on campus in June. 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Are the odds of Heiman playing this year at 50/50 or is he still more than likely to Redshirt? If he's unable to give us serviceable minutes I'd hate to see him buried on the bench.

I would guess that it depends on what the coaches think of the abilities of Dedoch and Tanner to contribute this year and whether or not they think Brady can contribute this year. We definitely won't know until well after practice has started.

Personally, I think he redshirts this year.

12 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Depends on the JUCO late-add to the roster, Dedoch Chan. We'll have to wait & see. If I had to speculate, I'd say that there's a 45% chance he plays. 100% chance he wears #45. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

LJS article talks about how Roby has really taken to heart being more assertive on offense. Miles told him he's being selfish and hurting the team by not doing so bc he is so talented.

Lists Roby, Copeland, Thor, and Thomas Allen as the players who made the biggest gains in the weight room.

And as stated on here, Amir Harris is the freshman who has stood out the most (athleticism and defense). Was gaurding our players in practice right from the start.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

LJS article talks about how Roby has really taken to heart being more assertive on offense. Miles told him he's being selfish and hurting the team by not doing so bc he is so talented.

Lists Roby, Copeland, Thor, and Thomas Allen as the players who made the biggest gains in the weight room.

And as stated on here, Amir Harris is the freshman who has stood out the most (athleticism and defense). Was gaurding our players in practice right from the start.

Here's the link to the LJS story: https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/husker-hoops-shows-off-for-the-cameras-as-anticipated-/article_4884d6d9-f1e0-58bc-9ebb-c67ba5c27726.html

11 hours ago, khoock said:

Just listened to a podcast where Steve Nash talked about Don Nelson chewing his ass for being selfish because he wasn't taking more shots.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/don-nelson-turned-steve-nash-hall-fame-player/

So we know Glynn Watson, James Palmer, Isaac Copeland, and Isaiah Roby are starting. Sounds like the 5th starter will either be Thomas Allen, Nana Akenten, or Amir Harris. With whoever doesnt start coming off the bench. Throw in Dedoch Chan and/or Tanner Borchardt (not quite sure how they are gonna play that) and we have our set 9-10 man rotation. 

Yes or no?

On 9/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, khoock said:

So we know Glynn Watson, James Palmer, Isaac Copeland, and Isaiah Roby are starting. Sounds like the 5th starter will either be Thomas Allen, Nana Akenten, or Amir Harris. With whoever doesnt start coming off the bench. Throw in Dedoch Chan and/or Tanner Borchardt (not quite sure how they are gonna play that) and we have our set 9-10 man rotation. 

Yes or no?

Rivals article says Karrington Davis is still recovering from a major hip injury that occurred during his senior year. Redshirting has been discussed but nothing has been finalized.