Lee B done

It was reported yesterday that Lee Barfnecht will be stepping down at the OWH. He will be sorely missed. Not only has he been one of my All-time favorite sportswriters in general, no one ever did a better job of covering Husker hoops. His writing was always well thought out, insightful, and well researched. He was fair minded, never a rah rah guy, and not afraid to use a touch of gallows humor as required. Also, other than Ed Weir and myself, maybe the most famous Superior Wildcat alumni ever.

10 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

It was reported yesterday that Lee Barfnecht will be stepping down at the OWH. He will be sorely missed. Not only has he been one of my All-time favorite sportswriters in general, no one ever did a better job of covering Husker hoops. His writing was always well thought out, insightful, and well researched. He was fair minded, never a rah rah guy, and not afraid to use a touch of gallows humor as required. Also, other than Ed Weir and myself, maybe the most famous Superior Wildcat alumni ever.

Why he may have done a great job with basketball, he will forever be marked by the fact he voted for Michigan over Nebraska in the 1997 National Championship vote.  He is dead to me unless he takes Dirk C with him.

5 hours ago, colhusker said:

Why he may have done a great job with basketball, he will forever be marked by the fact he voted for Michigan over Nebraska in the 1997 National Championship vote.  He is dead to me unless he takes Dirk C with him.

To be fair, if he had lived in Michigan at the time, he would have voted Nebraska number one.  That vote was about proving his impartiality.

Also to be fair, millions of people also thought Michigan was better than Nebraska.  What those people had in common was that none of them knew much of anything about football.

That said, much of the time I felt his work was commendable.

13 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

To be fair, if he had lived in Michigan at the time, he would have voted Nebraska number one.  That vote was about proving his impartiality.

Also to be fair, millions of people also thought Michigan was better than Nebraska.  What those people had in common was that none of them knew much of anything about football.

That said, much of the time I felt his work was commendable.

A major reason I like college hoops over football.  National Championships are decided on the court and not in the polls and by teams with the "most favorable schedule"

Lee, I believe you lurk around this board, in fact, unlike Jacob, Kent and Sam, you may even be active on occasion.   Now that you are no longer going to be active with OWH, it is now okay for you to come out and play!!!  When is your end date with the paper?

Edited by Huskerpapa