The rotation this year

ZAYWHAT!

Miles during his presser essentially confirmed that his rotation is the same one he used at Iowa St

Start

Watson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

Rotation

Harris

Nana

Tanner

Brady

That puts Thorir and Chan on the outside looking in right now but it's a long season.

Tanner played in 20 games last season though some of them were for mop-up duty.  Seems like he might play in all of them this year as long as he's healthy.

Miles mentioned slotting in Tanner at the 5 and Roby at wing though given our depth I'll believe it when I see it.

Here are a couple of lineups for you

Watson

Palmer

Roby

Copeland

Tanner

6'6" - Harris

6'6" -Palmer

6'8" -Roby

6'9" -Copeland

6'8" -Tanner

No surprises whatsoever.  I can see a scenario where you may see Costello as well.  The kid can shoot.

But Dedoch and Thor both have a ways to go to make it to game level.  I won't say it can't happen, but they both looked off at the scrimmage.  I will say this about Thor.  On the occasions he saw the floor last year, he did some good things.  So I am a bit confused why it appears his development has been a bit stifled.  

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

No surprises whatsoever.  I can see a scenario where you may see Costello as well.  The kid can shoot.

But Dedoch and Thor both have a ways to go to make it to game level.  I won't say it can't happen, but they both looked off at the scrimmage.  I will say this about Thor.  On the occasions he saw the floor last year, he did some good things.  So I am a bit confused why it appears his development has been a bit stifled.  

There's only one scenario I see Costello getting time. Well, two, but we don't want to go down that road.

Not a big concern, but I don't think the defense will be that great with Glynn and Thomas on the floor at the same time. One of them is going to get posted up, and both will be easier to shoot over than Amir because of their size. Maybe the offense isn't quite as good with Amir on the floor, but I don't think scoring is going to be a problem with our lineup. 

13 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Not a big concern, but I don't think the defense will be that great with Glynn and Thomas on the floor at the same time. One of them is going to get posted up, and both will be easier to shoot over than Amir because of their size. Maybe the offense isn't quite as good with Amir on the floor, but I don't think scoring is going to be a problem with our lineup. 

Trust me, the coaches share your concern; it is legitimate.     I think you'll see some changes when we play teams with a couple of big guards.  

21 minutes ago, HB said:

Trust me, the coaches share your concern; it is legitimate.     I think you'll see some changes when we play teams with a couple of big guards.  

Thats where i was curious to see is this where Thor will come in a bit? Seems like Nana is going to be more of a wing and small ball 4 this year. For bigger gaurds you have Palmer, Amir, and Thor if need be.

39 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

While Im concerned with this-- I really like Glynn defensively, I think he will create chaos on young guards. I am honestly more concerned with our rebounding. Watson and Allen dont rebound much for guards- Palmer/Roby/Cope are going to have to rebound like crazy for this team to reach its potential

11 minutes ago, khoock said:

Thats where i was curious to see is this where Thor will come in a bit? Seems like Nana is going to be more of a wing and small ball 4 this year. For bigger gaurds you have Palmer, Amir, and Thor if need be.

Doubtful on Thor.  Better have a plan  B.  

29 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

While Im concerned with this-- I really like Glynn defensively, I think he will create chaos on young guards. I am honestly more concerned with our rebounding. Watson and Allen dont rebound much for guards- Palmer/Roby/Cope are going to have to rebound like crazy for this team to reach its potential

Im just going to bet now that we will be a poor rebounding team. Hell I think we were last or second to last in the Big Ten last season in rebounding, and we lost a couple bigs.

I was impressed with Amir's defense during the scrimmage.  His length advantage is clear.  There was one time in particular he was guarding Palmer, cut him off at the baseline, Palmer elevates and makes the shot (that's Palmer for you) but Amir made him work for it and got a hand up nearly high enough to block the shot but definitely high enough to make Palmer stretch.

Amir's defense is good enough to see the floor plenty.  His ball handling is good enough.  Seems to try to finesse things at the rim instead of going up strong.  He needs to just start over on his shooting stroke, though.  And he's young enough that he has plenty of time to do it.  Just start over.  Build it from the ground up.  I do NOT want to see him come back next fall with essentially the same mechanics he has right now.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I was impressed with Amir's defense during the scrimmage.  His length advantage is clear.  There was one time in particular he was guarding Palmer, cut him off at the baseline, Palmer elevates and makes the shot (that's Palmer for you) but Amir made him work for it and got a hand up nearly high enough to block the shot but definitely high enough to make Palmer stretch.

Amir's defense is good enough to see the floor plenty.  His ball handling is good enough.  Seems to try to finesse things at the rim instead of going up strong.  He needs to just start over on his shooting stroke, though.  And he's young enough that he has plenty of time to do it.  Just start over.  Build it from the ground up.  I do NOT want to see him come back next fall with essentially the same mechanics he has right now.

I haven't seen him play yet, but is this kind of like Tai early in his career? I remember when TW would get to the rim the first couple years and struggle to finish or get overwhelmed by experienced defenders. By the time he finished his time here, he had learned to get to the rim and finish in the middle of all that traffic. I wonder if we might see a similar progression from Amir.

This may create some further discussion, but I do want to comment a bit on Amir's size.  He does have length and he appears to put that length to very good use.  But he is not yet to the weight and strength that he will be in a year or two.  Tom on the other hand has built his body.  He does not have the length of Amir, but he will be able to hold his own with the hand fighting and bodying that goes in in conference.  I personally think Thomas will hold his own on the defensive end, especially when you have a couple of shot blockers in the front court.  

I guess time will tell.

21 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

There's only one scenario I see Costello getting time. Well, two, but we don't want to go down that road.

Costello is a kid that i could see being an 8th/9th guy in the rotation by the time he is an upperclassman. A guy that knocks down 3s and is always in the right spot both offensively and defensively. He would need some things to go his way (recruiting misses, injuries, etc) but it definitely wouldnt be a jaw dropper to me.

Similiar to Tanners role on last years team.

Edited by khoock

16 minutes ago, khoock said:

Costello is a kid that i could see being an 8th/9th guy in the rotation by the time he is an upperclassman. A guy that knocks down 3s and is always in the right spot both offensively and defensively. He would need some things to go his way (recruiting misses, injuries, etc) but it definitely wouldnt be a jaw dropper to me.

Similiar to Tanners role on last years team.

If Miles keeps recruiting that spot well, like I think he has been, I don't have much hope for that. It'd be a great story if it happens, but personally, I'd be stunned if he finds a regular contributing role at any point in his career.