The rotation this year

ZAYWHAT!

8 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Dedoch will find minutes and I don't necessarily think they will mostly be at the 5. He's realistically more like 6'7 if the team picture is any indication. He's no heavier than most of our guards and I think he's going to play a solid amount of the 3 which I would like to see him at. He's skilled with the ball isn't afraid to shoot the three and will match up defensively with players at this position. Plus we don't have that many players who fit well at that position. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but who do people think will fill that middle (size wise) spot for us.

Palmer played the majority of his minutes at the 3 last year. If he does the same this year thats 30+ MPG.

Also you have Nana, Thor and Amir that could play on the wing.

I do not see Dedoch Chan playing much on the wing, not that he cant, but theres not really a need for him there. I see most of his minutes at the 4. When he comes in Copeland or Roby slide to the 5 while the other goes to the bench for a breather. Thats how i see it shaking out if Chan is the bench piece for the front court.

Im leaning more towards this type of rotation:

1 Glynn Watson / Amir Harris

2 Thomas Allen / Amir Harris

3 James Palmer / Nana Akenten

4 Isaac Copeland / Dedoch Chan

5 Isaiah Roby / Tanner Borchardt

*Thomas Allen or Amir Harris for the fifth starter*

Edited by khoock

On 8/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, LK1 said:

The thing that intrigues me the most this season is I don't think there is much of an opportunity for a defensive lull, particularly on the perimeter... 

Glynn is a great defender.  

James is a very good defender.

Copeland is a very good defender.

Roby is a great defender.  

The question is perhaps between the deficiencies of Amir's offense vs. Allen's defense.  I think that will determine a lot as to who fits into that fifth spot.  Both of those guys bring upside in entirely different ways.  The guys getting the minutes can all score AND defend, which will be an incredibly rare thing to witness in Nebraska basketball.  

Beyond Amir/Allen, I think we're going to see Glynn/Cope/Roby/JPJ push 30min a piece.  Last season, Roby was the only one of them who didn't average 30min.  I think he'll increase his minutes by at least 5 per game this season. 

So, in my mind, 40 minutes will be split between Amir and TA as both can help with the 1 and 2, and Chan will probably be the first big off the bench at either the 4 or 5.  After that, the wild west of the rest of the roster will probably be rotated situationally.  I think Borchardt is the last of his body type we'll see in the TM era.  

I think TA starts at the 2 with a short leash.  He really gives us an intriguing player there, but it depends entirely on his making shots.  I'm hoping that his perimeter defense and ball handling have improved because he can shoot the mess out of the ball if he can just stay on the court.  

But, man.. thinking about Amir's length and athleticism out there at the 1-2 with Glynn is pretty rad.  We are going to have a murderous three point defense and transition game this year.  

This is making me realize how important it is that Glynn is able to shoot 3s this season. If he can't Amir is going to have trouble being on the floor with him. It's tough to have two guards how can't shoot on the floor at the same time. In this case it's at least doable because our bigs can shoot.

I see Amir playing off the bench because he is mainly a creater for other's who can't always get shots for themselves. Also generally you can have one weak defender if it's a guard without negatively affecting team defense much because the rest of the team can recover and help. 

At this point I don't see Glynn playing 30 a game. If he really recovers or improves from his sophomore season form then maybe we do. But this year if he is going to play the facilitator role I don't know why he's better than Allen who I think will be much improved and Amir who I'm very high on. 

It's funny to me how worried about depth I was just a few months ago. Obviously an injury to a big would be very bad but barring something long term to Roby I really like where we are at.

32 minutes ago, khoock said:

Palmer played the majority of his minutes at the 3 last year. If he does the same this year thats 30+ MPG.

Also you have Nana, Thor and Amir that could play on the wing.

I do not see Dedoch Chan playing much on the wing, not that he cant, but theres not really a need for him there. I see most of his minutes at the 4. When he comes in Copeland or Roby slide to the 5 while the other goes to the bench for a breather. Thats how i see it shaking out if Chan is the bench piece for the front court.

Yeah when I think about the team I don't really imagine Nana or Thor playing probably just because I didn't see them at all last year. But even though we obviously don't really know let me ask would you rather see Nana, Thor, or Dedoch at the 3 assuming minutes and fatigue don't matter. I'd guess Dedoch>Nana>Thor

And I do see him playing the most minutes at the 4 like you.

Edited by cjbowbros

15 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Does that... could it mean...

WE FILLED OUR SCHOLARSHIPS!?!

The full scholarship clock started ticking on August 10th, 2018.

I think this is the 3rd  time in the Miles era we've been full but the first time we've been full to start a season.

When I read through the things Miles says and the things written about this team, Thor and Chan don't come up almost at all. The only times Davis comes up is in terms of his health. Nana, Amir, Allen and a little bit of Heiman get brought up. I'd expect those 4 along with the big 4 to see the bulk of the minutes. Who gets talked about in and by the coaches and media are often big indicators of who we'll see on the court. Until I start hearing more about those other guys, I'm probably not gonna project them in the rotation.

Talking about the rotation this season at this point in time is somewhat of a guess and by-golly.  But here are some of my thoughts:

* Isaiah remains banged up.  I am guessing that early in the season he may be on restricted duty; perhaps 22 to 25 minutes per game.  That will provide a bit more opportunity for a few other team members 

* We sort of know what Tanner will bring to the table.  The remainder of the group (outside the core four) are still a mystery.   I am interested in seeing how players matured and developed.  Going into last season, most people assumed Jack was going to play a key role and others hoped or assumed that Jordy was going to develop more than he did.  We hoped that Isaiah, Isaac and James were going to be good; arguably, they exceeded expectations.   Freshmen are hard to guage; but we likely should assume that they will be inconsistent.

* How will Armon and the staff jell.   If any of them struggle,  will the team struggle as well?

To me, the team should meet or exceed expectations.  Yet there are questions and concerns and players have to step up.

They need to completely break down Amir Harris's jumper and start over from scratch. He doesn't make enough outside shots that you would say don't mess with it.  Go ahead and mess with it. In fact, don't just mess with it, but overhaul it.  We aren't going to need him to be a perimeter threat this year.  He'll get minutes for his defensive length, athleticism, and ability to distribute.  But NEXT year, we might need him to be a guy who can drop a dagger or two.  At least someone you can't leave alone on the perimeter and sag off for help D.

Outside the top 4, there's too much we don't know to really project much for the year, but seems we're hearing Thomas Allen is probably the 5th starter and Amir might be 1st off the bench.  That would make sense.  I have NO CLUE who the first big off the bench will be.  But I don't think we go as deep as we might have a year ago.  There will probably be a 3-man rotation on the front line, 4 in the event of foul trouble.  Guards/wings there might be 4-5 guys who see regular minutes.

Our starting 5 will be virtually as talented as anyone we play.  The big question to me is how much help do we get from our bench?  And does Roby stay healthy and out of foul trouble.  That's going to be the key to our season.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Our starting 5 will be virtually as talented as anyone we play.  The big question to me is how much help do we get from our bench?  And does Roby stay healthy and out of foul trouble.  That's going to be the key to our season.

The entire offseason chatter about 2018-2019 can be summed up in this short excerpt from Norm right here. He nailed it. Accurate but concise

With Burke sitting, Davis recovering, and Tanner on schollie, we're at 11 scholarship players.

It also seems like our returning starters are locks to be starting at the beginning of the season.

Our typical lineup is a

• PG
  • 2 posts
  • 2 others

Lock Start: Copeland, Roby

Subs: Brady, Chan, Tanner

Emergency: One post and a 4 guard lineup.

Just spitballing for strengths I'd say

Chan - offense

Brady - defense

Tanner - experience/bulk

Given Chan is a combination of undersized and a one year juco i'd expect him to have the same sort of learning curve issues that all freshmen have so I wouldn't necessary give him a leg up over Brady or Tanner just based on his experience. 

PG

Lock Start: Watson

Sub: Harris

Emergency: Thorir? Palmer? Johnny Trueblood?

We need someone who can just bring the ball up the court. Watson should play all the time, Harris will probably play when he's not on the court, and how much more time Harris plays will probably be dictated by how much he brings at the guard spot vs all the other alternatives.

Others

Lock Start: Palmer, TBD

Subs: Thomas Allen, Nana, Thorir, (whichever PG isn't playing PG)

Emergency: Davis (until he is healthy), any other walk-on, one of our posts

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

With Burke sitting, Davis recovering, and Tanner on schollie, we're at 11 scholarship players.

It also seems like our returning starters are locks to be starting at the beginning of the season.

Our typical lineup is a

• PG
  • 2 posts
  • 2 others

Chan - offense

Brady - defense

Tanner - experience/bulk

Given Chan is a combination of undersized and a one year juco i'd expect him to have the same sort of learning curve issues that all freshmen have so I wouldn't necessary give him a leg up over Brady or Tanner just based on his experience. 

PG

We need someone who can just bring the ball up the court. Watson should play all the time, Harris will probably play when he's not on the court, and how much more time Harris plays will probably be dictated by how much he brings at the guard spot vs all the other alternatives.

Others

One thing I'd question is the lack of Thomas Allen under PG sub/emergency. He was our backup PG this year and for whatever reason (Harris gets hurt, etc.) Allen can come in and be our PG. This year has boom or bust potential, great top level players but we are so so so lacking depth it's terrifying. One injury to anyone in our starting 5 would be huge. Palmer, Cope, Roby, etc. are going to do their thing, coaches in practice better be making dang sure that Nana, Amir, Tanner, Chan are ready to contribute at a Power 5 level this season.

13 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

One thing I'd question is the lack of Thomas Allen under PG sub/emergency. He was our backup PG this year and for whatever reason (Harris gets hurt, etc.) Allen can come in and be our PG. This year has boom or bust potential, great top level players but we are so so so lacking depth it's terrifying. One injury to anyone in our starting 5 would be huge. Palmer, Cope, Roby, etc. are going to do their thing, coaches in practice better be making dang sure that Nana, Amir, Tanner, Chan are ready to contribute at a Power 5 level this season.

^^^This. Not only injury, but you also can't bank on all of them staying out of foul trouble every game. With the minutes we expect the Core 4 to play it's impossible. We need the guys on the bench to play well. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Our typical lineup is a

• PG
  • 2 posts
  • 2 others

Chan - offense

Brady - defense

Tanner - experience/bulk

PG

Others

Plausible.   I'm interested in player development.  I will be surprised if there isn't a surprise or two once the rotation is locked in.

32 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

^^^This. Not only injury, but you also can't bank on all of them staying out of foul trouble every game. With the minutes we expect the Core 4 to play it's impossible. We need the guys on the bench to play well. 

We certainly need to develop guys on the bench or we are ticking 2017-18 Minnesota time bomb.

*I do not want to see a starting lineup that has Copeland as C for significant amounts of time. 

*With that said here is my starting line up:

Allen, Watson, Palmer, Roby, Copeland. I don't think we'll see this lineup for more than 10min a game. 

*I believe during non-con we will see a lot of guys gets minutes to spare our 4 guaranteed starters.

*This group here will get a lot of looks:

Chan, Harris, Borchardt, Akenten, and Davis. Among that group 3 will get into the rotation. Besides Borchardt who is going to get 5-10min/game, I see Harris and Chan emerging.

*To me the greatest unknown is what Miles does with Hieman. He is a true C. He shoots the ball well for a big man. I really like how he uses the glass on mid range shots. He can also shoot from 3. He can also move up and down the court quickly which works well with our guaranteed 4. I know that he isn't very big (needs to add some weight), but he can be a disruptive force around the basket. I just don't see how he redshirts. Somebody has to play the minutes left behind by Duby and Jordy and won't be just Borchardt. 

36 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

*I do not want to see a starting lineup that has Copeland as C for significant amounts of time. 

*With that said here is my starting line up:

Allen, Watson, Palmer, Roby, Copeland. I don't think we'll see this lineup for more than 10min a game. 

If Copeland is playing the 5 that means Roby isnt on the court. Roby will play the 5 over Copeland anytime they are on the court together.

17 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Chan, Harris, Borchardt, Akenten, and Davis. Among that group 3 will get into the rotation. Besides Borchardt who is going to get 5-10min/game, I see Harris and Chan emerging.

Harris, Heiman and Nana are really the only ones I've heard the coaches mention. I wouldn't bank too much on Chan, Borchardt or Davis to contribute too much.