The rotation this year

ZAYWHAT!

Hi Karrington.  Apparently, you check this board.  That's awesome.  We're happy to have you.  Welcome to Husker Nation!  And welcome to HHC (feel free to PM me with your screen name and I'll keep it just between the two of us.)

Apparently, @aphilso1 and I are the only ones on this board who think you might make the regular playing rotation this year.  And about that, I need a small favor from you, actually.  Make the top 8 rotation for me, would you please?  Pull through on that one, OK?  I need to re-establish some board cred after that episode where I said we shouldn't waste a scholarship on Terran Petteway.

Thanks, man.  I'll owe you one.

Top 8.  We're good, right?

The thing that intrigues me the most this season is I don't think there is much of an opportunity for a defensive lull, particularly on the perimeter... 

Glynn is a great defender.  

James is a very good defender.

Copeland is a very good defender.

Roby is a great defender.  

The question is perhaps between the deficiencies of Amir's offense vs. Allen's defense.  I think that will determine a lot as to who fits into that fifth spot.  Both of those guys bring upside in entirely different ways.  The guys getting the minutes can all score AND defend, which will be an incredibly rare thing to witness in Nebraska basketball.  

Beyond Amir/Allen, I think we're going to see Glynn/Cope/Roby/JPJ push 30min a piece.  Last season, Roby was the only one of them who didn't average 30min.  I think he'll increase his minutes by at least 5 per game this season. 

So, in my mind, 40 minutes will be split between Amir and TA as both can help with the 1 and 2, and Chan will probably be the first big off the bench at either the 4 or 5.  After that, the wild west of the rest of the roster will probably be rotated situationally.  I think Borchardt is the last of his body type we'll see in the TM era.  

I think TA starts at the 2 with a short leash.  He really gives us an intriguing player there, but it depends entirely on his making shots.  I'm hoping that his perimeter defense and ball handling have improved because he can shoot the mess out of the ball if he can just stay on the court.  

But, man.. thinking about Amir's length and athleticism out there at the 1-2 with Glynn is pretty rad.  We are going to have a murderous three point defense and transition game this year.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

The thing that intrigues me the most this season is I don't think there is much of an opportunity for a defensive lull, particularly on the perimeter... 

Glynn is a great defender.  

James is a very good defender.

Copeland is a very good defender.

Roby is a great defender.  

The question is perhaps between the deficiencies of Amir's offense vs. Allen's defense.  I think that will determine a lot as to who fits into that fifth spot.  Both of those guys bring upside in entirely different ways.  The guys getting the minutes can all score AND defend, which will be an incredibly rare thing to witness in Nebraska basketball.  

Beyond Amir/Allen, I think we're going to see Glynn/Cope/Roby/JPJ push 30min a piece.  Last season, Roby was the only one of them who didn't average 30min.  I think he'll increase his minutes by at least 5 per game this season. 

So, in my mind, 40 minutes will be split between Amir and TA as both can help with the 1 and 2, and Chan will probably be the first big off the bench at either the 4 or 5.  After that, the wild west of the rest of the roster will probably be rotated situationally.  I think Borchardt is the last of his body type we'll see in the TM era.  

I think TA starts at the 2 with a short leash.  He really gives us an intriguing player there, but it depends entirely on his making shots.  I'm hoping that his perimeter defense and ball handling have improved because he can shoot the mess out of the ball if he can just stay on the court.  

But, man.. thinking about Amir's length and athleticism out there at the 1-2 with Glynn is pretty rad.  We are going to have a murderous three point defense and transition game this year.  

So in summary, another post underestimating Karrington's impact.  Don't worry, Normy and I won't rub it in too much the first time KD goes off. ?

3 hours ago, khoock said:

I dont think Brady plays this year, if were healthy. I dont think hes strong enough to play the 4 or 5 rn. Nana will play the 4 this year before Brady does.

My thinking as well. I see Harris, Chan, Allen as consistent contributors off the bench. In my mind the fifth starter comes down to nana, Thor, Davis because of defensive purposes. I think TA gets 15-20 mins off the bench 

14 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

My thinking as well. I see Harris, Chan, Allen as consistent contributors off the bench. In my mind the fifth starter comes down to nana, Thor, Davis because of defensive purposes. I think TA gets 15-20 mins off the bench 

No chance it's Thor. Doesn't seem like there's much been positivity around his development this offseason.

4 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

No chance it's Thor. Doesn't seem like there's much been positivity around his development this offseason.

Depends what they are looking for. In my mind it should be the best spot up shooter we have that doesn’t make us a liability on the defensive end. I’d hate to see roby in foul trouble every other game because he’s trying to make up for others 

Updated my thoughts going with:

STARTERS

Glynn Watson 6'0 Sr G 30 min

Amir Harris 6'4 Fr G 21 min

James Palmer 6'6 Sr G 32 min

Isaac Copeland 6'9 Sr F 29 min

Isaiah Roby 6'8 Jr F 32 min

ROTATION

Thomas Allen 6'1 So G 23 min

Dedoch Chan 6'8 So F 15 min

Nana Akenten 6'6 So G/F 14 min

Tanner Borchardt 6'8 Sr C 4 min

BENCH

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'5 So G

Karrington Davis 6'5 Fr G

Johnny Trueblood 6'3 Jr G

Justin Costello 6'1 RFr G

REDSHIRT

Dachon Burke 6'4 Jr G

Brady Hieman 6'11 Fr F/C

34 minutes ago, khoock said:

Updated my thoughts going with:

STARTERS

Glynn Watson 6'0 Sr G 30 min

Amir Harris 6'4 Fr G 21 min

James Palmer 6'6 Sr G 32 min

Isaac Copeland 6'9 Sr F 29 min

Isaiah Roby 6'8 Jr F 32 min

ROTATION

Thomas Allen 6'1 So G 23 min

Dedoch Chan 6'8 So F 15 min

Nana Akenten 6'6 So G/F 14 min

Tanner Borchardt 6'8 Sr C 4 min

BENCH

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'5 So G

Karrington Davis 6'5 Fr G

Johnny Trueblood 6'3 Jr G

Justin Costello 6'1 RFr G

REDSHIRT

Dachon Burke 6'4 Jr G

Brady Hieman 6'11 Fr F/C

IF, and this a big IF, Davis is not in the rotation,  then I am hoping he is redshirting.   I am basing this on the speculation that if he is healthy, he is a significant enough player to make a difference.   By not being in  the rotation would tell me that he isn't healthy. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

IF, and this a big IF, Davis is not in the rotation,  then I am hoping he is redshirting.   I am basing this on the speculation that if he is healthy, he is a significant enough player to make a difference.   By not being in  the rotation would tell me that he isn't healthy. 

Not ready to buy into the hype yet. Miles typically runs an 8 man rotation. My take is that 6 of the spots pretty much filled. That leaves two spots for four players. I went with Amir and Nana. I will admit that KD is the player i know the least about so i could be way off.

As for redshirting, unfortunately kids dont wanna do that nowadays (but have no problem sitting out as a transfer which makes no sense to me). No way both Nana and Thor should have wasted a whole year of eligibility for the 20 min of playing time they each received.

Cant wait for the season to start. Or atleast for some more news or inside info on the team to come out.