Dedoch Chan

4huskers

On 8/10/2018 at 10:35 AM, hhcdimes said:

Left hand is pretty weak. A few times in his highlight video where he's finishing with the wrong hand.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6894187/5a3b34acb53f480ec461517d

Just based on his numbers

He shot 50.6% from 2 (121 of 239) and 31% from 3 (18 of 58). That's an eFG% 49.8% which isn't spectacular but definitely serviceable for a guy who probably was the focal point of the opposing defense.  His FT numbers are very encouraging in terms of amount and accuracy. He went to the FT line 154 times and made 72.7% of them.  His FT rate is roughly equivalent to how much James Palmer went to the line last year so he draws plenty of contact. Palmer made 73.8% , Copeland made 69.6% and Roby made 73% of their respective FTs. If you equate FT makes with shooting ability, Chan seems like a guy who can spot up to conservatively make 30-35% of his 3s.  His rebounding numbers are impressive though his JUCO team really didn't have any traditional centers who played major minutes (sound familiar?) He played a lot of minutes without fouling out much so that bodes well for him being able to stay on the court. No shot blocking ability and has a highlights package devoid of dunks....doesn't seem like he has a ton of ups.

Chang seems like a better comparison than Morrow or Pardon as he's a slighter build and has a shot outside of 14 feet. No doubt Ed Chang is more skilled though let's hope Chan has the drive we thought was missing in Ed Chang.

If i'm going to throw someone out there he seems like the 6'8" mid-major kid that comes and lights us up for double digits.  Josh Davis and Tulane come to mind.

Hey Dimes I'm recording another episode of The Risky Roadz Pod and I'm talking about Chan and other recruiting news. I really liked this post and really want to incorporate the board into our podcast so I was wondering if your cool with me putting your text into audio form. I know I'm pretty sure I don't legally need to ask but I just wanted to make sure. 

1 minute ago, cjbowbros said:

Hey Dimes I'm recording another episode of The Risky Roadz Pod and I'm talking about Chan and other recruiting news. I really liked this post and really want to incorporate the board into our podcast so I was wondering if your cool with me putting your text into audio form. I know I'm pretty sure I don't legally need to ask but I just wanted to make sure. 

Go for it

1 minute ago, hhcdimes said:

Go for it

Awesome thanks hoping to create what this board is in a version that you can listen to on the go. I think quotes from informative posters could go along way.

Anyway in the spirit of not hijacking this thread...

On 8/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, B-town hoopsfan said:

We will rebound better than last year, if tanners gonna play, one of his better traits is boxing out to in my opinion 

I do not think Tanner will play way more than he did last year and am worried about rebounding this year. But not because we lost Jordy who was not an excellent rebounder. I just think we were bad last year and will be again this year because we're still too small. And if we play more zone that will certainly have a negative effect on rebounding.

10 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I do not think Tanner will play way more than he did last year and am worried about rebounding this year. But not because we lost Jordy who was not an excellent rebounder. I just think we were bad last year and will be again this year because we're still too small. And if we play more zone that will certainly have a negative effect on rebounding.

While Jordy struggled at times, he could rebound at least. And he was a seven-footer. So it's a loss, but it's also water under the bridge.

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

While Jordy struggled at times, he could rebound at least. And he was a seven-footer. So it's a loss, but it's also water under the bridge.

Looking at the numbers I think you're right looks like Jordy had 3.38 rebounds per 10 minutes of playing time while Roby and Copeland had 2.625 and 1.9 respectively. Though he was probably under the basket and in position more often.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

With Chan not looking like he will crack the rotation and heiman looking like he will not red shirt, think there’s any chance we can convince Chan to redshirt without him transferring? There would be a ton of minutes ahead of him as an incentive to not transfer. 

After watching him tonight I went back and watched some highlight film to make sure he wasn't injured because of how he was moving.  We've basically signed the polar opposite of Dube Okeke: a guy who is skilled offensively but who is labeled "crafty" because of his lack of athleticism. 

To be honest I would think the more likely scenario is that he will use that redshirt to transfer down than he would to get another year of eligibility here, especially if we're able to land a good big for 2019 or 20.

29 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

After watching him tonight I went back and watched some highlight film to make sure he wasn't injured because of how he was moving.  We've basically signed the polar opposite of Dube Okeke: a guy who is skilled offensively but who is labeled "crafty" because of his lack of athleticism. 

To be honest I would think the more likely scenario is that he will use that redshirt to transfer down than he would to get another year of eligibility here, especially if we're able to land a good big for 2019 or 20.

Yes, this.  Have no idea why they signed this guy.  Not remotely a player at this level 

Just now, HB said:

Yes, this.  Have no idea why they signed this guy.  Not remotely a player at this level 

Like the coach said on the Jack Mitchell show today: 'Jordy traded himself in the offseason'

I have zero zero zero zero indication that this has occurred but if we signed a guy who was playing JUCO to get a better opportunity with the understanding that he might transfer after a year to a lower Div 1 school after a year if it didn't work out both parties would probably see the benefit.  Once again, this is just something that has popped into my head upon seeing our lack of open 2020 schollies.

• 2 years later...