Dedoch Chan

4huskers

He reminds me of Ed Morrow: his primary game is an inside brawler but is undersized for that game.  

He differs from Ed in a couple respects, (i) he’s 20 pounds lighter, but (ii) has better handles.

Edit.  Gotta love Dedoch’s official statement and what it says about his humility, gratitude and commitment to hard work (foundations for turning talent into success)

“Thank you to coach Miles and the rest of the staff for believing in me, and I’m ready to take full advantage of the opportunity that is being presented to me! I am beyond excited and blessed to announce my commitment.’’

Edited by Swan88

Left hand is pretty weak. A few times in his highlight video where he's finishing with the wrong hand.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6894187/5a3b34acb53f480ec461517d

Just based on his numbers

He shot 50.6% from 2 (121 of 239) and 31% from 3 (18 of 58). That's an eFG% 49.8% which isn't spectacular but definitely serviceable for a guy who probably was the focal point of the opposing defense.  His FT numbers are very encouraging in terms of amount and accuracy. He went to the FT line 154 times and made 72.7% of them.  His FT rate is roughly equivalent to how much James Palmer went to the line last year so he draws plenty of contact. Palmer made 73.8% , Copeland made 69.6% and Roby made 73% of their respective FTs. If you equate FT makes with shooting ability, Chan seems like a guy who can spot up to conservatively make 30-35% of his 3s.  His rebounding numbers are impressive though his JUCO team really didn't have any traditional centers who played major minutes (sound familiar?) He played a lot of minutes without fouling out much so that bodes well for him being able to stay on the court. No shot blocking ability and has a highlights package devoid of dunks....doesn't seem like he has a ton of ups.

Chang seems like a better comparison than Morrow or Pardon as he's a slighter build and has a shot outside of 14 feet. No doubt Ed Chang is more skilled though let's hope Chan has the drive we thought was missing in Ed Chang.

If i'm going to throw someone out there he seems like the 6'8" mid-major kid that comes and lights us up for double digits.  Josh Davis and Tulane come to mind.

Ideally if he can be 4-6 points and 6 boards a game type player, then it'll be a great pick up, especially in games where we find ourselves in foul trouble.  More importantly though is if he gives Roby and Cope some time on the bench to rest. It's a long season and we'll need those two to be full strength when we get into conference play. I'm hopeful this is a diamond in the rough find.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't see it. Pardon is very strong and physical inside.  Limited outside the paint.

This kid strikes me more as what you hoped Ed Chang might have developed into but were afraid he wouldn't.

Love this commitment. The Pardon comparison was 50% about his post moves 50% the fact that he wears a headband and is an undersized center. I like the fact that when he does a post move he fakes to the opposite side like he's going to dropstep the opposite way he ends up going. He's quick enough to make those post-ups where opposing fans say how is he getting these lay-ups all the time. That will turn into the ability to pump fake and get fouled or make the defender jump and hit a cutter coming to the basket as well.

13 minutes ago, rwhiston said:

Ideally if he can be 4-6 points and 6 boards a game type player, then it'll be a great pick up, especially in games where we find ourselves in foul trouble.  More importantly though is if he gives Roby and Cope some time on the bench to rest. It's a long season and we'll need those two to be full strength when we get into conference play. I'm hopeful this is a diamond in the rough find.

Exactly - Jordy was at 4 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.2 turnovers per game last year in 13.6 minutes. If Chan can be at 5 and 5 with <1 turnover in 12-15 minutes, that would be gold.

This year, he just needs to give us some minutes to keep Roby & Cope fresh. Next year, he can become more of a focal point.

40 minutes ago, throwback said:

Exactly - Jordy was at 4 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.2 turnovers per game last year in 13.6 minutes. If Chan can be at 5 and 5 with <1 turnover in 12-15 minutes, that would be gold.

This year, he just needs to give us some minutes to keep Roby & Cope fresh. Next year, he can become more of a focal point.

Not that Jordy was great at this but if he can't be effective at guarding centers his 5 points will be less important. Though I still believe he is more naturally a 4 and its possible we could play him alongside Copeland or Tanner when they are playing the five. 

chang is much longer and a better shot blocker than chan. if i had the choice, i'd probably take chang.

though you can argue Chan is more proven offensively based on what he did in juco.

picking up a player somewhat comparable to chang with 2 weeks notice is way better than what most of us thought we'd get. 

Edited by TimSmiles

What if he’s more like Jeremiah Horne but with a better attitude? Comparisons aside I think was a quality find for what we needed this season. Interesting to see what he plays at after a few months with a strength program 

53 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

chang is much longer and a better shot blocker than chan. if i had the choice, i'd probably take chang.

though you can argue Chan is more proven offensively based on what he did in juco.

picking up a player somewhat comparable to chang with 2 weeks notice is way better than what most of us thought we'd get. 

I think this kid has a great opportunity to outscore his defensive assignments.  That's pretty much the risk you take in small ball.  He's also a very physical player at 215lbs, so I'm not sure the weight will be that much of an issue.  

As for comparisons, it's important to remember we've never had bigs like Roby and Copeland in the past playing the 4-5.  Chan really reminds me of them more than anyone else.  He fits very, very well in what Miles has evolved his team's identity into.  

Remember the other advantage of small ball: switching screens/improved 3pt defense.  Hopefully Chan has enough mobility for that.  I personally think he does. 

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

I think this kid has a great opportunity to outscore his defensive assignments.  That's pretty much the risk you take in small ball.  He's also a very physical player at 215lbs, so I'm not sure the weight will be that much of an issue.  

As for comparisons, it's important to remember we've never had bigs like Roby and Copeland in the past playing the 4-5.  Chan really reminds me of them more than anyone else.  He fits very, very well in what Miles has evolved his team's identity into.  

I think the reason we're assuming he will play in the post more is simply because much of his film is of him doing post moves and they looked very good. I think the question is if he will not be able to do post and perimeter play equally because of the bigger bodies in the Big Ten. Often times playing small ball can run the other teams traditional posts off the floor with their perimeter play. You can also run plays to get guys like him post touches with good positioning. I wish more players in the NBA did that instead of jacking up threes. For example many people believe this will be the evolution of Lebron's game as he ages. Wade has been doing this his whole career and he's 6-5. 

Sadly I don't think Miles will do so though we pushed the ball into Jordy so who knows.

4 hours ago, rwhiston said:

What if he’s more like Jeremiah Horne but with a better attitude? Comparisons aside I think was a quality find for what we needed this season. Interesting to see what he plays at after a few months with a strength program 

Jeremiah was a bullfrog. Jeriah is a Golden Hurricane.

11 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

I think the reason we're assuming he will play in the post more is simply because much of his film is of him doing post moves and they looked very good. I think the question is if he will not be able to do post and perimeter play equally because of the bigger bodies in the Big Ten. Often times playing small ball can run the other teams traditional posts off the floor with their perimeter play. You can also run plays to get guys like him post touches with good positioning. I wish more players in the NBA did that instead of jacking up threes. For example many people believe this will be the evolution of Lebron's game as he ages. Wade has been doing this his whole career and he's 6-5. 

Sadly I don't think Miles will do so though we pushed the ball into Jordy so who knows.

What I like about his game is his three point ability and ball handling--not great, but definitely a threat to spot up beyond the arc or go by a defender and draw some fouls on opposing bigs.  Having him be able to sub for both Copeland and Roby means we're potentially going to have 5 guys on the court the entire game who can shoot the ball.  The lane is going to be wide open for penetration and we should be an excellent transition team offensively and defensively.  

It's nice to have yet another offensively proficient player who can churn out 15 points on a good night.  

Will we be a bad rebounding team?  I don't think we'll be as bad some may think.  Roby alone will average 10+rb a game this year, and we have a lot of size in the other positions.