2019 SF David Roddy -> Colorado St

Swan88

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If he can grow another 3 to 4 inches we might have something. Looks good in the open floor w the ball but his post play won’t translate at his height 

Jae'Sean Tate couldn't shoot anything other than a layup, but was a solid starter for tOSU.

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Jugular said:

Yes please!

Jugs, you're usually pretty insightful and I wouldn't be surprised if you have someone in your ear who knows things.

So, I'm curious why you say this.  If he's a senior and he's 6'4" or 6'5" and he's basically a post, he's going to be undersized for that role in the Big Ten.  Won't he?

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Jugs, you're usually pretty insightful and I wouldn't be surprised if you have someone in your ear who knows things.

So, I'm curious why you say this.  If he's a senior and he's 6'4" or 6'5" and he's basically a post, he's going to be undersized for that role in the Big Ten.  Won't he?

I like a kid like this. We’ve historically seen strong undersized big men have significant roles on other teams, especially when they can handle the ball on the break and pass well.  This kid has a high basketball IQ, very good post skills and great hands. Night and day difference over someone like Ed and not that much different in height. He’s also a great football player, so focusing on just hoops will also benefit him. 

I don’t think this kid is strictly a post...I think he can play some point forward or 3 on offense and could create some matchup problems in doing so. And he’s strong. He would give up height in the paint but he would be plenty strong that he wouldn’t get backed down. He would hold his ground and then some. I picture a Niang type player position wise. 

Niang was listed @ 6’8” and could really shoot the ball. I don’t hate what this kid brings to the table but he’s probably not what we are looking for w our last current scholarship. I’d love to see us get a 6’10” guy that runs like a deer and just blocks shots and rebounds. It would be great if he could do more then that but beggers can’t be choosers 

4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Niang was listed @ 6’8” and could really shoot the ball. I don’t hate what this kid brings to the table but he’s probably not what we are looking for w our last current scholarship. I’d love to see us get a 6’10” guy that runs like a deer and just blocks shots and rebounds. It would be great if he could do more then that but beggers can’t be choosers 

Niang is definitely not 6’8. And when he was coming out of HS, let’s just say he was not the picture of fit/athletic. Niang is likely a better shooter at that stage but they could both run the court and lead the break from a post position. 

Id love to have a 6’10 guy that does what you describe but every coach in the country is looking for the exact same thing.  And I’d guess we will have more than the 1 spot left to recruit to (and that’s not counting if Roby would turn pro)

I'd take him as a 4 for sure.  He can dunk off 2 feet, straight up, is strong as an ox, and can lead the break.  If he can't guard opposing 4s, he can at least bruise them up, but with that leaping ability I see his height as a moot point, and boxing out won't be even remotely an issue.  

I loved how OSU used Jae'Sean Tate.  Same idea.