01/29/2013 - At Minnesota Report Card

hhcdave

Ray Gallegos

OFFENSE: A+

We can talk about sets and schemes all we want, but at the end of the day, numbers don't lie.

And seeing Nebraska shoot 55% from the field and 64% from downtown, along with scoring 65 on the road, tells us they had a pretty good night offensively.

Sure, we could nitpick and say that NU was bad at the free throw line (53% on 8-15) and sure, we could say that "without Ray Gallegos shooting out of his mind, we wouldn't have looked good or scored much."

One of those is certain (the free throw shooting) and the other is likely, but at the end of the day, both occurred.

Gallegos is a slam dunk Player of the Game for scoring a career high 30 points and single handedly keeping NU within arms reach for 3/4 of the contest.

Have to say though that Ray is really slacking on minutes - only played a weak 38 tonight. Needs to work on his conditioning. ;)

*** NOTE *** This is the first report card in HHC history with a wink face in it.DEFENSE: F

Nebraska was pathetic on the defensive end, allowing 84 points on 54% shooting.

And the worst part is, even if NU had somehow managed to be respectable on the boards (which they weren't), they still would have been God awful defensively.

Give Minnesota a TON of credit, because they literally made almost every single open shot they had. They were really, really good tonight. That can't be overlooked.

But give Nebraska credit, too, for looking as if they've never seen a pick and roll, back cut or the ability to stop drible penetration in their lives. Also, it was way too easy for Minnesota to pick apart the zone and get the ball into the interior. The Gophers literally picked their shot 9 out of 10 possessions.

Help defense was consistently late which helped Nebraska allow a staggering 11 dunks on the night. That's all you need to know.

REBOUNDING: F

Somehow, Nebraska's rebounding was even worse than its defense - and that's seriously quite the accomplishment.

I need to go back and re-watch, but I'm almost certain Nebraska didn't even HAVE A SINGLE REBOUND until about five minutes into the game. Literally. Not a single one. Because Minnesota either scored or turned it over early.

For the night, 36 to 19 on the boards (-17) for NU - even worse, 16 offensive boards allowed.

Now, Minnesota is probably the best in the league at rebounding, and they obviously have superior talent to NU, but still, a few of those boards were simply just not hustling.

Also, how many times did we allow offensive rebounds off of free throws? How about David Rivers having an easy one in the first two minutes of the game, fumbling it, and it leading to two MU points on ensuing free throws. Or how about Brandon Ubel not grabbing one in the second half, which led to three points on a Benny Parker foul.

To me, not getting rebounds off of a missed free throw is 90% of the time inexcusable.

med_gallery_2_22_41659.jpg

BALL HANDLING: D+

Nebraska was good in the second half, only turning the ball over four times, but the nine in the first half, coupled with not being able to guard its own shadow and not being able to grab a ball with velcrow on it, was not a good combination. Minnesota got way too many easy points off of turnovers.

Parker's line was much better than it seemed - 6 assists to 2 turnovers. I thought that defensively and even offensively, this was one of the worst games of his young Big 10 career. The numbers would suggest otherwise.

COACHING: C+

I loved Miles giving Parker the stair down at the end of the half, as he had a defensive breakdown that led to a hoop. He was like, "Are you effing kidding me?"

Miles didn't seem to have the fire in this one that he's had in recent games. He took a timeout and ripped his team to shreds off of not grabbing two defensive rebounds against Northwestern. In this game, where his team was ten times worse in that regard, not a single similar situation.

Nebraska left the game with its full allotment of second half timeouts, which isn't a huge deal but was a bit peculiar.

Nice job massaging rotations to keep Ubel around as long as possible - maximizing him in the first half but taking him out at the under 4:00 timeout so he wouldn't get his third foul. During that time NU was competitive and kept the game within reach.

Would have liked to see a switch to zone earlier.

At the end of the day, what are you going to do? The better team won.

OVERALL GRADE: C-

I thought Nebraska played slightly below average, only because of Gallegos. Without him, it makes me shudder imagining what this would have been like.

The Huskers were great offensively or more in particular, shooting the basketball. Otherwise, its hard to find anywhere they were particularly good.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: RAY GALLEGOS

2012-2013 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

RAY GALLEGOS - 9

DYLAN TALLEY - 5

BRANDON UBEL - 4

SHAVON SHIELDS - 3

DAVID RIVERS - 2

JORDAN TYRANCE - 1

Click here to view the article

strange game. one of the few times I was hacked off at ubel over the last couple of years. Those last two fouls were really crap plays and there was too much time left to be that reckless. We weren't winning anyway, but his absence is a big deal. I expect more from him, and maybe he was due, but still.

just one those nights.

I just got on the HHC a couple days ago. Someone was on LITR a week or two ago. Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned HHC.

What a great place for fans of Husker Hoops. It is great to be on here reading information and sharing the love of the Huskers. A welcomed relief from the recruiting drivel on the LJS.

It seemed last night that Minnesota took advantage of our lack of depth. Our rotation in the zone was too slow as the game wore on. Not sure if that was just being overmatched on talent, or a fatigue issue with the lack of depth.

I am not sure how to gauge Almeida's effort. Is he going all-out and is just that slow? It seems next year the team will be more athletic inside without Almeida, regardless of how the Atewe situation pans out.

I am very optimistic about next year, with everything that Miles has already assembled, and will possibly still get!

I just got on the HHC a couple days ago. Someone was on LITR a week or two ago. Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned HHC.

What a great place for fans of Husker Hoops. It is great to be on here reading information and sharing the love of the Huskers. A welcomed relief from the recruiting drivel on the LJS.

It seemed last night that Minnesota took advantage of our lack of depth. Our rotation in the zone was too slow as the game wore on. Not sure if that was just being overmatched on talent, or a fatigue issue with the lack of depth.

I am not sure how to gauge Almeida's effort. Is he going all-out and is just that slow? It seems next year the team will be more athletic inside without Almeida, regardless of how the Atewe situation pans out.

I am very optimistic about next year, with everything that Miles has already assembled, and will possibly still get!

Welcome aboard!  BTW, what is LITR?

Welcome aboard!  BTW, what is LITR?

Thanks dimes! LITR (life in the red) is the decaying chat on the LJS website. I don't mind Rosenthal but the LJS basketball coverage plays second fiddle to their obsession for the football recruiting drama.

I have a feeling they'll be paying more attention to the basketball team in the coming years. ;)

I'm guessing that would have been our local troll, seaofred, who likes to go around various websites advertising for other places.   

(I keed, I keed.  ;) )

Norm, I assure you I'm not an imposter. I can appreciate your comment about the trolling though. :)

Seems that is most of the posters on the LJS anymore are exactly that. And the conversations are constant spin about whether to fire Bo.

Just got sick of it and after I heard of HHC, I signed up immediately. Seems to be good company on here.

Very poor coaching job by Miles defensively.  Needed to slow this game down with a zone.  We obviously didn't have anyone that could keep anyone in front of them.  Man just makes a bad matchup worse.  Yeah, I know zone makes it tough to rebound.  Well so does rotating on pick on roll help.   Better off making them shoot from deep, take our chances the ball bounces our way and slow them down.  We did go to in late in first half and worked a little bit at least.  Should have been in that the entire game. 

Very poor coaching job by Miles defensively.  Needed to slow this game down with a zone.  We obviously didn't have anyone that could keep anyone in front of them.  Man just makes a bad matchup worse.  Yeah, I know zone makes it tough to rebound.  Well so does rotating on pick on roll help.   Better off making them shoot from deep, take our chances the ball bounces our way and slow them down.  We did go to in late in first half and worked a little bit at least.  Should have been in that the entire game. 

I agree. I love Miles thus far but any chance we had was blown by not going to a zone early in the first half.

I'm guessing that would have been our local troll, seaofred, who likes to go around various websites advertising for other places.   

(I keed, I keed.  ;) )

My apologies, Norm.  I didn't see your post when I pretty much duplicated the darned thing.  I'd say great minds think alike, but that doesn't really apply to either one of us.....

A quick update:  The troll did say he liked the cipsalsa and the beef jerky (which I threw in as an added bonus).  

(I keed, I keed.  ;) )

Norm, I assure you I'm not an imposter. I can appreciate your comment about the trolling though. :)

Seems that is most of the posters on the LJS anymore are exactly that. And the conversations are constant spin about whether to fire Bo.

Just got sick of it and after I heard of HHC, I signed up immediately. Seems to be good company on here.

Inside joke, grey.  Seaofred is a long-time poster over here.  One day, he mentioned LITR in a thread over here and someone who shall remain cipsucks called him a troll for mentioning another blog while posting on this one.  Well, of course seaofred isn't a troll.  His mother is a decorated All-American volleyball player from Nebraska.  Needless to say, he took some offense at being called a troll and responded by saying that he talks about HHC over on LITR as well.

cipsucks felt bad about calling him a troll and so he sent seaofred some of cip's famous salsa.  And possibly some jerky too.

So, the moral of this story is that you should act offended if cip ever comments on one of your posts and you might be able to swing some salsa out of the deal.

:P

cipsucks felt bad about calling him a troll and so he sent seaofred some of cip's famous salsa.  And possibly some jerky too.

So, the moral of this story is that you should act offended if cip ever comments on one of your posts and you might be able to swing some salsa out of the deal.

:P

Hey Cip--You suck!  I am offended by your posts.  They are not funny, and your video postings are lame.     ;)

Oh, and never, NEVER make hubba hubba comments about his mom, either.  Definite no-no.  Right Norm?   ;)

Well, that's true.  To an extent.  But, you have to remember ...

I can't help the fact that when his mom was in college she was extremely ... gifted.  One of the best looking volleyball players I've EVER seen.  And that's saying something.  She's high up on a pretty impressive list, quite frankly.  :wub:

And, for the record, I was baited into it this time, so I am blameless here.  -_-