Player First Looks

bigFRED

Good stuff Noah.  So do you still have eligibility? 

My take is that we have a solid first four, and we all know who they are.  The next four will vie for the final starting position (and that player will need to compliment the top four) and the three main subs.  My current guess is that Thomas earns the last starting job and Amir and Tanner will earn time.  Will Nana earn that third spot?  If not, which player will step up?

Edited by Huskerpapa

24 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Played pick-up basketball for over two hours tonight with Palmer, Thomas Allen, Nana, Amir Harris, Tanner Borchardt, Brady Heimann, and Costello.. Here are my thoughts in case you're as ready for the season to start as i am...

1) Palmer is best player i've ever played with. He was guarded by Nana and Amir mostly the whole time and he does not miss from 25+ feet, even contested. Not kidding he probably shot 75% from three shooting a lot for more than two hours, it was insane.

2) Amir Harris is the real deal, he will be a solid backup PG for us this year and is every single bit of 6'5. I don't feel like his handles are as recognized as they should be by the media, fans, etc. this dude had the best handles of anyone there and can finish around the rim.

3) Thomas Allen has the shot to be our starting two guard for sure, and I'm not just talking spot up threes.. Shooting off the dribble using his quickness and handles, and shooting going left or right. He was the second best player there behind Palmer.

4) Nana is just a gym rat, and I'm really rooting for him to finish his game at the college level. You can tell he wants to be a spot up shooter and he is a freak athlete, but he was the last one to leave even after all the other players left and he was just playing with our motley crew. 

Did Harris take any mid-range or longer shots? If so, how did they look?

6 minutes ago, arliepro said:

He mainly finished around the rim and took a few threes, not really much mid range off the dribble. He took some threes as the games got more competitive and he kind of had to carry his team, and got a little hot at one point making three in a row. His shot isn't like really bad form or anything, he jumps straight up and down which is good, and his elbow is tucked in and everything, but it looks a bit like an 8th grader shooting by how he kind of puts it on his side and over exaggerates the flip of the wrist. Think Glynn freshman year but a little more exaggerated?

10 hours ago, arliepro said:

Noah, in addition to this question, I will ask a broad brush question, and a specific question.  Do you believe this group truly believes they can take it to the next level this season?  Did anyone mention Isaiah and how his recovery is going?

Edited by Huskerpapa

18 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Noah, in addition to this question, I will ask a broad brush question, and a specific question.  Do you believe this group truly believes they can take it to the next level this season?  Did anyone mention Isaiah and how his recovery is going?

I didn't hear anything about Roby, but since we aren't too deep barring any injuries I definitely feel this can be the team. Palmer is maybe an all-American candidate, Glynn plays back to form and Roby and Copeland do their thing... sprinkle in some Thomas allen 3's and quality Amir Harris time off the bench I feel this year is going to be so exciting. Biggest ? marks are big depth and Nana playing that 8th man role. Hoping we get a transfer big soon.

Just now, noahjb24 said:

I didn't hear anything about Roby, but since we aren't too deep barring any injuries I definitely feel this can be the team. Palmer is maybe an all-American candidate, Glynn plays back to form and Roby and Copeland do their thing... sprinkle in some Thomas allen 3's and quality Amir Harris time off the bench I feel this year is going to be so exciting. Biggest ? marks are big depth and Nana playing that 8th man role. Hoping we get a transfer big soon.

Has anybody ever told you that you look a lot like Tai? But a lot more jacked, of course. What's your eligibility status?

12 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Played pick-up basketball for over two hours tonight with Palmer, Thomas Allen, Nana, Amir Harris, Tanner Borchardt, Brady Heimann, and Costello.. Here are my thoughts in case you're as ready for the season to start as i am...

1) Palmer is best player i've ever played with. He was guarded by Nana and Amir mostly the whole time and he does not miss from 25+ feet, even contested. Not kidding he probably shot 75% from three shooting a lot for more than two hours, it was insane.

2) Amir Harris is the real deal, he will be a solid backup PG for us this year and is every single bit of 6'5. I don't feel like his handles are as recognized as they should be by the media, fans, etc. this dude had the best handles of anyone there and can finish around the rim.

3) Thomas Allen has the shot to be our starting two guard for sure, and I'm not just talking spot up threes.. Shooting off the dribble using his quickness and handles, and shooting going left or right. He was the second best player there behind Palmer.

4) Nana is just a gym rat, and I'm really rooting for him to finish his game at the college level. You can tell he wants to be a spot up shooter and he is a freak athlete, but he was the last one to leave even after all the other players left and he was just playing with our motley crew. 

Whats the skinny on the other 3 players?

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Whats the skinny on the other 3 players?

Costello is a good shooter but more like a Nebraska high school basketball good shooter, will be a good player to have for practice.

Tanner and Brady went back and forth the whole time, Brady can actually shoot a bit outside but he's just SO skinny. Neither are very developed.

1 minute ago, noahjb24 said:

Costello is a good shooter but more like a Nebraska high school basketball good shooter, will be a good player to have for practice.

Tanner and Brady went back and forth the whole time, Brady can actually shoot a bit outside but he's just SO skinny. Neither are very developed.

I was hoping for more of a "Brady looks a solid 230 and Tanner has increased his vertical ten fold," but thanks for the info!

Did they talk at all about Jordy leaving?  Or did you just leave that one alone?

We're going to miss Jordy's size and I was figuring him for 20+ min/game (his 14 from last year plus Duby's 7) and more if the starters got into foul trouble.

Sounds like Amir can maybe fill Evan Taylor's role.  That's very important.  Evan was underrated last year.  He didn't score a ton but he played good D, rebounded well from the guard position and dished a bunch of assists (third on the team.)  Be nice if Amir can fill those shoes off the bat.

And Thomas Allen can probably more than fill Anton Gill's shoes as Anton kinda started hot and fizzled late.

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Let's not forget about the "Iceman" from Iceland... a Combo guard the likes of Mike Peltz/George Gervin.

I heard a rumor that Thor hasn't progressed as much as hoped.  Not sure if that is true, or what that actually means; but we need these players to improve exponentially from year to year...heck from game to game.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, noahjb24 said:

Thanks Noah, and kudos to you being able to play on the same floor with some of these guys.  I'm only 31 but would probably be lucky to make it up and back once or twice before sucking wind. 

This actually means a lot to me to hear this for a couple reasons.

1. Anytime a college dude can go shoot around playing pick up, like Palmer, and hit at the clip you’re talking about, that’s a really good thing. Means they have natural skill and when you take the pressure of those guys, it’s almost not even fun to play with.

2. When I went to UNL, it was some of the worst Doc teams. There’d be multiple times when me and some buddies would play pick-up with and against players on the team.... and I wasn’t sure how we would win a game during the season. There were some really bad players on those teams.