2019 PG Mika Adams-Woods -> Cincy

49r

He screams Tarin Smith to me, talent-wise, but that's not a bad thing if he's willing to give bench minutes.  We need a backup point guard who is okay with being a backup and pushes the starting PG in practice.  We've really missed having a solid PG off the bench.  This is really the first year under Miles where we have two true PGs (GWIII, Amir) on the roster.  

13 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

In this short video, most of his plays are finishing at or near the rim:

I think what Dimes meant with his comment about not finishing at (or near) the rim had to do with his previous statement that the kid doesn't seem to have much in the way of leaping ability. 

His hands aren't anywhere close to even touching the rim.  There isn't much athletic explosion here.

At least that's how I took it, and this video does nothing to dispel that.

Nebraska is hosting 2019 guard Mika Adam-Woods this weekend for an official visit. The 6-foot-2, 160-pound three-star was offered by Nebraska in July... At New Hampton, Adams-Woods averaged 19.8 points per game...

From the OWH: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/nebraska-basketball-hosts-three-star-guard-mika-adams-woods-on/article_c62ee653-a233-5319-8a3b-e5575fe493ae.html

On 9/14/2018 at 1:59 PM, Swan88 said:

He may not play close to the rim, but he had at least three dunks in the preceding video . . . and a finger role at the rim.

If he's 6'3" and can dunk he has to either have a long wingspan or decent jumping ability. For reference I'm 6'0" average wingspan and have a 30 inch vert but cannot dunk. Of course their is a HUGE difference between being able to junk and being able to finish. Tai Webster is a perfect example of this he could get to the basket at any time but could not put it in the basket. Until his senior year when he was a beast.

Edited by cjbowbros

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

Whatcha think about this one @hhcmatt???

The Tai comparison? Not real valid. Tai's strength was always driving to the rim; his improvement came in the outside shot department. MAW seems like he's already a shooter. 

You don't need to be a PG that takes it to the hoop to be a success in this conference. Jordan Bohannon doesn't drive to the hoop and he does quite well

21 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The Tai comparison? Not real valid. Tai's strength was always driving to the rim; his improvement came in the outside shot department. MAW seems like he's already a shooter. 

You don't need to be a PG that takes it to the hoop to be a success in this conference. Jordan Bohannon doesn't drive to the hoop and he does quite well

I just meant as far as this recruitment goes, and our odds of landing him.

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

I just meant as far as this recruitment goes, and our odds of landing him.

We have to be the favorite, right? 

He was class of 2018 and had mid-major offers. The entire point of him reclassifying was to play in a power conference. 

He plans on taking officials to George Mason, UNCG and UMass so its possible he falls in love with one of those places but seems like pretty good odds he will be a Husker in November.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, hhcmatt said:

Yeah I haven't watched any film yet I was just talking about an example of poor finishing while athleticism was still there.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We have to be the favorite, right? 

He was class of 2018 and had mid-major offers. The entire point of him reclassifying was to play in a power conference. 

He plans on taking officials to George Mason, UNCG and UMass so its possible he falls in love with one of those places but seems like pretty good odds he will be a Husker in November.

If it's this simple, then yeah, we'd have to be the favorite. But if NU is in on Markese Jacobs, and I have no idea if they are other than we did offer him, and they think they can get him, then we'll probably have to wait and see how that plays out before we get any resolution with MAW.

You don't have to be an explosive finisher to be a difference maker.  I'm wondering, though, where this guy fits in the realm of role player vs. star player.  I think to be successful in this league, we have to have some difference makers.  I don't know if this guy is or not. Can't tell.  We can still use role players, but we also need to have some real difference makers.  And the weaker links we have at one spot, the better the player has to be at another spot to make up for it.  Or we fail to make the post-season and hope the next kid is an upgrade.

And I have tried to find good video on this kid and I haven't been able to locate any that had any significant, watchable highlights, so he's probably a bit of an unknown at this point.

I just look at our recruiting and I'm hoping for some difference makers because I don't want us to fall back to pre-Miles era recruiting, which appears to be our trajectory right now, and that doesn't bode well for future conference finishes.