2019 PG Mika Adams-Woods -> Cincy

49r

17 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

From what I have heard we may have a difference maker sitting on our bench this year after transferring in (referencing Dachon Burke).  I hope that is proven true.

Burke's example is proof that recruiting rankings neither assure that a guy is good nor assure that a guy won't be.

They generally give you a decent, somewhat reliable indication, but they're not always spot on, and really good players can slide under the radar, in part because they might blossom later or their game might translate better to the next level.

I'm hoping Adams-Woods is like Burke: A guy who was under-rated by the recruiting services and other D1 coaches.  Miles has a solid history of spotting talent that will translate.  I haven't seen many of his players come in and just be total stiffs.  Especially at the guard position.  In fact, a lot of his recruits have done waaaaay better than anyone expected.

The trouble is, in order to compete for top-half league finishes and possible NCAA tourney trips, you gotta have some studs.  And though Evan Taylor was far better than any of us had any reason to expect, he wasn't a stud.  He was a fine role player, which you need, but he wasn't a stud, which you also need.  And I'm not sure what to make of Mika.

50 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Burke's example is proof that recruiting rankings neither assure that a guy is good nor assure that a guy won't be.

They generally give you a decent, somewhat reliable indication, but they're not always spot on, and really good players can slide under the radar, in part because they might blossom later or their game might translate better to the next level.

I'm hoping Adams-Woods is like Burke: A guy who was under-rated by the recruiting services and other D1 coaches.  Miles has a solid history of spotting talent that will translate.  I haven't seen many of his players come in and just be total stiffs.  Especially at the guard position.  In fact, a lot of his recruits have done waaaaay better than anyone expected.

The trouble is, in order to compete for top-half league finishes and possible NCAA tourney trips, you gotta have some studs.  And though Evan Taylor was far better than any of us had any reason to expect, he wasn't a stud.  He was a fine role player, which you need, but he wasn't a stud, which you also need.  And I'm not sure what to make of Mika.

I expect Burke to be a great addition for us.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And I'm not sure what to make of Mika.

We offered him after seeing him play at the Peach Jam where I think Gates was present. He had a pretty good rep at Northwestern though not real experienced on his hits and misses.

If nothing else he's rated by Rivals in the range of Mitchell so he must be pretty good.

image.png

Just read through 4 years of posts about MAW on the Syracuse board.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/08/mika_adams-woods_his_interest_in_syracuse_basketball_his_summer_his_prep_possibi.html#incart_river_index

It seems like a deal where they like his skill set but see him projecting as a mid-major though he could develop.

I think we're good at physically developing kids so for a kid with his noted work ethic, defensive skills, and facilitation I think he could end up being really good here.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, hhcmatt said:

Just read through 4 years of posts about MAW on the Syracuse board.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/08/mika_adams-woods_his_interest_in_syracuse_basketball_his_summer_his_prep_possibi.html#incart_river_index

It seems like a deal where they like his skill set but see him projecting as a mid-major though he could develop.

I think we're good at physically developing kids so for a kid with his noted work ethic, defensive skills, and facilitation I think he could end up being really good here.

Yeah, I think the skill level is fine, but I suspect the question mark would have to do with whether he's explosive enough to break down college-level defenders off the dribble and get to the lane, and can he get that shot off at the P5 level?

On 9/25/2018 at 5:12 PM, hhcmatt said:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/09/23/mika-adams-woods-to-nebraska/

Zags notes he has a 6'7" wing span. Also worth noting since that doesn't seem to be a thing on this year's squad that he's a "vocal leader" on the court.

This sounds overall encouraging but would explain not being a high flier even though he's still able to dunk pretty easy.

• 1 month later...

Appears as though they have played 2 games and he did well in both. Next game 11/30.

New Haven, CT - The Huskies started off the 2018-19 with a hard-fought victory over a talented and well-coached Hargrave Military Academy team from Chatham, VA. Despite Hargrave's smothering press, the Huskies kept their composure and demonstrated a willingness to find the open man consistently throughout the night. The Huskies had standout performances from Nebraska commit Mika Adams-Woods '19 (Syracuse, NY) who finished with 24 pts, 9 rebs, and 3 assts, Northeastern commit Tyson Walker '19 (Westbury, NY) who ended with 19 pts, 9 rebs, and 7 assts, and Dyondre Dominguez '20 (Providence, RI) who rounded things out with 29 pts and 11 rebounds. The Huskies also had solid contributions on the front line with Bas Leyte '20 (Bergan Op Zoom, Netherlands) finishing with 9 pts, Trey Hall '20 (Willimantic, CT) who chipped in 9 pts and 6 rebs, and Canberk Kavsuk '20 (Istanbul, Turkey) with 8 pts and 5 rebs. The Huskies won't have much rest time as they face off against Mt. Zion Prep from Washington D.C. tomorrow at 12pm.

Read More

• HUSKIES MOVE TO 2-0 AT NATIONAL PREP SHOWCASE

New Haven, CT - Facing a tough Mt. Zion Prep team, the Huskies excecuted well and came out victorious at day two of the National Prep Showcase. In a game that saw both sides playing tough basketball, New Hampton relied on a whole team effort to walk away with the win.

New Hampton was led by Nebraska commit Mika Adams-Woods '19 (Syracuse, NY) who finished with 17 pts, 5 rebs, 4 assts and Bas Leyte '20 (Bergan Op Zoom, Netherlands) who finsiehd with 14 pts and 11 rebs. Dyondre Dominguez '20 (Providence, RI) and Tyson Walker '19 (Westbury, NY) chipped in 15 and 13 points respectively. Max Davis '19 (Oakland, CA) finished 3-5 from 3 and Brendan Mora '19 (Palo Alto, CA) and Canberk Kavsuk '20 (Istanbul, Turkey) added valuable minutes off the bench.
Edited by imnothipp
add text