2019 SG Jervay Green (Juco) - LOI

hhcmatt

19 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Just just looking to see if they had any games in eastern nebraska( didn’t look like it, bummer for me ) but ya this guy fits the mold of definitely being a dude. It’s nice that although he’s not playing elite competition it’s likely better than what your average high school plays against 

...although the team he was playing against last night was a very high rated juco I believe.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:25 PM, RedKorn said:

Jervay had 30 last night in a win.  12-18 (4-6 from 3).  The game was streamed on YouTube.  It appears their game tomorrow night may also be streamed.  I just searched for WNCC basketball on YouTube and found the stream yesterday.  He's a beast, great handles, incredible leaping ability.  Had a great drive and monster dunk.  Three point shot looks really good.  Only went 2-6 on FTs though.

You can find a replay of every single game they play on the WNCC basketball website. Might have to watch a 44 point game. Note to anyone watching the game their is another game before it on the live stream you have to skip that one. Green is #23 on the white team in the 2nd game.

Edited by cjbowbros

I like this class.  I think we're bringing in some guys who can shoot and some athletes.  The two juniors (includes Dachon Burke) and the two freshmen make for a pretty solid group of athletes.  Now, to quote Tim Miles quoting Jim Molinari, "we just need another Copeland and another Roby."  Yep, simple as that.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I like this class.  I think we're bringing in some guys who can shoot and some athletes.  The two juniors (includes Dachon Burke) and the two freshmen make for a pretty solid group of athletes.  Now, to quote Tim Miles quoting Jim Molinari, "we just need another Copeland and another Roby."  Yep, simple as that.

You know, if we'd just sign a Copeland and a Roby every year...

Haven't looked through it but I know last year when they played a bad team the other team was really bad. They would play their subs more than their starters and his points may have been pulled down because of that already. 

I just went and checked they actually lost their last game and were down 61 to 28 at half so I guess it was the opposite. He only had 8 points. I'm very comfused why one of their subs played 38 minutes and scored 2 points so I guess the lesson is weird stuff happens in juco.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Jervay is a good shooter, yet he appears to struggle at the line.  That needs to get patched up.

He shot 67 percent last year while not great that’s respectable atleast. Definitely something he’s gotts get cleaned up though. You would like to see him somewhere in the 70s at the very least. Free throw shooting seems to be a strength under miles these last few years so i would expect it to be cleaned up once he gets on campus.

I wrote about Jervay for my Friday column. I'm going to disagree about 67% being respectable, especially for a guard who gets to the line as often as he can. Free-throw shooting is often an indication of true shooting ability and it's something a lot of NBA Draft analysts look at when evaluating prospects because of the sometimes small sample size of college basketball. The free throw struggles plus his 3-point percentage as a freshman give me pause about how real this hot start is, but it's on such high volume and he's doing it both off the catch and off the dribble, so that is certainly a good sign about it being sustainable improvement. 

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I wrote about Jervay for my Friday column. I'm going to disagree about 67% being respectable, especially for a guard who gets to the line as often as he can. Free-throw shooting is often an indication of true shooting ability and it's something a lot of NBA Draft analysts look at when evaluating prospects because of the sometimes small sample size of college basketball. The free throw struggles plus his 3-point percentage as a freshman give me pause about how real this hot start is, but it's on such high volume and he's doing it both off the catch and off the dribble, so that is certainly a good sign about it being sustainable improvement. 

While I agree somewhat, there are many cases of good shooters who are not great from the FT line. Just look at your guy Marcus Foster, do not think he ever got to 75% from the line for a recent close example. Granted I have only seen highlights of Green but his game kind of reminds me of Foster (not quite as strong but few are).

3 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I agree to a certain degree but FT shooting can often be mental...kind of like putting in golf. 

3 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I'm sure your job gives you access to people that the rest of us normal folks do not, but my question is when was the last time and how often do you sit down with serious NBA draft analysts? And to me, that means someone who does that and gets paid by the league or an NBA team.

5 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

His mechanics are sound. I’ve watched the stream of a couple of his games. He can rush his FTs at times, seemingly more worried about speed than accuracy.  That’s fixable.

For the heck of it, I watched it. Green played pretty decent.  Was 2-5 from 3-point range.  All of his three-pointers are coming from 23 feet or more.  He had a couple of really impressive drives to the hoop, one of which resulted in a missed dunk, but it was superb otherwise.  He was 2-2 from the stripe.  I'm guessing he had around 16 points.  He is his team's primary ball handler and distributor.  He was not focussed on scoring but made some really good passes.  Should have been double figures in assists except some of his teammates didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

I watched too. There were some good plays on the offensive end by both teams and Green had a couple of silly turnovers but overall he played well.  But what stood out to me the most was the poor defense played by both teams. The 90 points each team scored had as much to do with good offense as it did with both teams trailing almost every cutter and playing behind the post on defense. I had almost forgotten how poor junior college defense was. It will take some work but I'm sure Green can clean that up with expectations that he actually play some defense when he gets to Nebraska.

Edited by Dean Smith