2019 SG Jervay Green (Juco) - LOI

hhcmatt

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I said the same thing for this year if Palmer and Copeland come back

It’s  a long walk to the end of the season for a flat tire.  Once we get that baby changed, we won’t have time to stop and pick ya back up.  May want to stay on the bus.

9 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Shouldn't post this now...a few on this board are trying to make a point that Husker basketball is in the dumps now and in the future.  

In fairness, Nebraska basketball has been in the dumps for, oh, only about 100 years.  ?  I mean, think about it--how bizarre is it that we're the ONLY power conference team to NEVER win an NCAA tournament game.    Now, I still love it, and can handle the adversity, but I'm not in denial about how crappy the program has been.   So I cut a little slack to anyone feeling a little tough this week after a 1-3 conference start with all of our games against MSU and MU remaining.   So seeding is starting to look dicey, which makes the win I need to see before I meet my maker less likely, etc.   It's a curse, I tell you.     I love those who say "all is well"; bless your hearts.    As an experienced geezer, I'm keeping expectations low.    '92, '14, and '18 all happened when we were preseason last or close to it.  The burden of high expectations can be a killer!

1 minute ago, HB said:

In fairness, Nebraska basketball has been in the dumps for, oh, only about 100 years.  ?  I mean, think about it--how bizarre is it that we're the ONLY power conference team to NEVER win an NCAA tournament game.    Now, I still love it, and can handle the adversity, but I'm not in denial about how crappy the program has been.   So I cut a little slack to anyone feeling a little tough this week after a 1-3 conference start with all of our games against MSU and MU remaining.   So seeding is starting to look dicey, which makes the win I need to see before I meet my maker less likely, etc.   It's a curse, I tell you.     I love those who say "all is well"; bless your hearts.    As an experienced geezer, I'm keeping expectations low.    '92, '14, and '18 all happened when we were preseason last or close to it.  The burden of high expectations can be a killer!

I have been right beside you HB...you know that.  I simply choose to move on from a loss or two.  If you review the post-game losses, I was just as angry/upset as anyone.  Others choose to take a different path.  If it is okay for that group to bash the staff, the players or fans who believe we are not broke; then it should be okay for me to opine that I disagree with their decent.

9 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have been right beside you HB...you know that.  I simply choose to move on from a loss or two.  If you review the post-game losses, I was just as angry/upset as anyone.  Others choose to take a different path.  If it is okay for that group to bash the staff, the players or fans who believe we are not broke; then it should be okay for me to opine that I disagree with their decent.

And there is a middle ground as well.   One can be concerned about the future of this staff, and thus the recruits, without engaging in bashing.    Everyone and his dog knows how precarious the situation is, and we really got off to a bad start in league.  Some flaws are apparent.   It may turn out OK, and it may not.  But the hole has been dug.   I'm not doing any bashing, but I won't waste energy getting excited about next year when the whole thing could get blown up.   Xavier Johnson is a perfect example of that.

The good news is that this board has been pretty measured compared to others.   True bashing has been a minimum in my opinion; the supporters still  outweigh the critics.   And even those considered bashing are pretty respectable and mature by message board/social media standards.    God bless HHC.  And while we're seeking blessings, I call for a lifting of the curse.  

5 hours ago, HB said:

Xavier Johnson is a perfect example of...

Why Bill Moos should've given Miles a real extension. If Miles is replaced we probably lose Jervay who I believe could be the best husker ever (not the highest bar but pretty high) along with 4 other commits if I'm remembering right and probably Roby along with who know else currently on the team. You know what this is going to be a new thread. See you on the main board.

13 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Why Bill Moos should've given Miles a real extension. If Miles is replaced we probably lose Jervay who I believe could be the best husker ever (not the highest bar but pretty high) along with 4 other commits if I'm remembering right and probably Roby along with who know else currently on the team. You know what this is going to be a new thread. See you on the main board.

This is silly. X committed because of Hunter. Hunter left for career aspirations. X went elsewhere. 

I still think Moos made the right call, and I still think TM is taken care of after this season's inevitable (yes, I said it) success.  If we make the tournament, Moos would be a complete moron to do anything other than extend the contract handsomely, particularly with dudes like Jervay, Dachon, and some very good freshmen in the wings.  

I am not convinced there is any available coach out there who can out-recruit TM at Nebraska, and the whole aw-shucks-good-coaching-with-no-talent method has been tried and failed miserably, so it had probably better be TM.  Hoiberg is the only one available who is worth a damn and Matta is fully retired.  

TM is an elite recruiter and made leaps and bounds last year as an in-game coach.  Hopefully his Xs and Os will continue to trend up.  Overall, this season, the team has looked quite a bit better than last year.  We were supposed to go 1-3 to start the B1G slate by virtually all oddsmakers.  We're going to beat the piss out of a lot of teams at home.  

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think he was talking more in predictive metrics like KenPom, etc.  I believe all three conference losses were either toss-ups or ones where the other team was favored.

Pretty sure most metrics had us beating Minnesota.  Don't think the sky is falling that we are 1-3 (our overall record is right where I expected it to be).  In fact, I expected it after we choked in Minneapolis.   But saying 1-3 was expected isn't accurate either.

Edited by nustudent

38 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think he was talking more in predictive metrics like KenPom, etc.  I believe all three conference losses were either toss-ups or ones where the other team was favored.

This.  We weren't favored to beat Maryland or Iowa (who was ranked higher than us) on their home court.  I don't remember Minnesota but we aren't going to be favored more than a point or two on anyone else's court save maybe Rutgers or Illinois.  

4 minutes ago, LK1 said:

This.  We weren't favored to beat Maryland or Iowa (who was ranked higher than us) on their home court.  I don't remember Minnesota but we aren't going to be favored more than a point or two on anyone else's court save maybe Rutgers or Illinois.  

Vegas had us favored by 3 against Minnesota and the line closed at 2 over Iowa.  We opened as a favorite against Maryland and the line rolled to Maryland -2.5.  And again....if we're favored, even by a point or two, it would mean that we are not expected to be 1-3.  If you are referring to metrics...I can't tell you specifically on Maryland or Iowa, but I'm pretty sure we were expected to beat Minnesota.

Edited by nustudent

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Vegas had us favored by 3 against Minnesota and the line closed at 2 over Iowa.  We opened as a favorite against Maryland and the line rolled to Maryland -2.5.  And again....if we're favored, even by a point or two, it would mean that we are not expected to be 1-3.  If you are referring to metrics...I can't tell you specifically on Maryland or Iowa, but I'm pretty sure we were expected to beat Minnesota.

That's a fair critique, but Vegas isn't trying to be accurate--it's trying to make money by slightly manipulating perceptions one way or the other.  The metric predictions (which I inherently trust more) I remember seeing, like Kenpom, had us 1-3 during this stretch including a loss to Minnesota.  To evolve our convo, though, I have a question:  even if we are favored to win by 1-2 points on the road and lose a close, hard-fought game, is it really a cause for concern?  The fact that we're favored at all should be a fantastic indicator that major progress is being made over the course of the last two seasons.  We're about to set a record of 20 straight home wins (our last loss was 1pt against KU) and every road game is a toss up.  Isn't that a new level of college basketball around here?  

1 minute ago, LK1 said:

That's a fair critique, but Vegas isn't trying to be accurate--it's trying to make money by slightly manipulating perceptions one way or the other.  The metric predictions (which I inherently trust more) I remember seeing, like Kenpom, had us 1-3 during this stretch including a loss to Minnesota.  To evolve our convo, though, I have a question:  even if we are favored to win by 1-2 points on the road and lose a close, hard-fought game, is it really a cause for concern?  The fact that we're favored at all should be a fantastic indicator that major progress is being made over the course of the last two seasons.  We're about to set a record of 20 straight home wins (our last loss was 1pt against KU) and every road game is a toss up.  Isn't that a new level of college basketball around here?   

I'm pretty sure the metric predictions expected us to beat Minnesota.   We were 7-1 and they hadn't done much at that point. 

To answer your questions.  

A.   Losing a close hard fought game when you are only predicted to be a 1-2 point favorite, is not cause for immediate concern.   Now, perhaps the way you lost might be, but the fact that you lost is not.  

B.   With that being said, if it begins to occur more than once or twice, or considerably more than 50% of the time, then it does become a concern.   Essentially, a 1-2 point spread is going to be a pretty even matchup.  You should be going 50% in those types of games. 

C.   My point was also never about concern over a singular loss.  And I said as much.  My point was....I don't think it's real accurate to say that oddsmakers expected us to be 1-3 at this point.