2019 SG Jervay Green (Juco) - LOI

hhcmatt

His numbers don't read elite shooter but he has the combo guard game Miles wants and the scoring ability we will need to replace next year.

He's a JUCO guy so I'd expect next year to be a little bit of a struggle. People remember Lance Jeter fondly because of his senior year, not his junior year.

We're going to be pretty guard heavy next year and you'd think that Thomas Allen and Dachon Burke would initially be the starters so I could see him coming off the bench as I haven't even mentioned Harris, MAW, Thorir, or Davis.  Our lack of height sure could mean 3 guard lineup though....Burke was used to being the 3rd biggest guy on the court at Robert Morris and Harris/Davis have JPJ size.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:36 PM, Dean Smith said:

I'm sure your job gives you access to people that the rest of us normal folks do not, but my question is when was the last time and how often do you sit down with serious NBA draft analysts? And to me, that means someone who does that and gets paid by the league or an NBA team.

I don't think you have to sit down with with league scouts to know that free throw shooting in college is used to project three point shooting in pros. I've just spent a lot of time just listening to podcasts about the NBA draft and I would say this is a widely used factor that is often helpful when combined with other factors.

There is, actually, a study on this.  Among its conclusions are that the best single predictor of NBA 3 point percentage is NCAA 3 point percentage, the second best is NCAA free throw percentage, but the best predictor of all is a combination of variables.  Here's the actual language:

"Of the individual variables, FT% had the second strongest correlation with NBA 3P%. Unsurprisingly (and for a somewhat unceremonious conclusion), NCAA 3P% had the strongest. But the different combinations generally were much stronger than any of the variables individually."

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Agree with the tweet that I saw the other day that said NU could be sneaky good next year.  Really, one solid Roby back-up away right now.

I agree as well.  So much may depend on the team chemistry.  I know that word is tossed around a lot, but when you have talent, you have players who want the ball and want to star, it is difficult to keep everyone happy.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Agree with the tweet that I saw the other day that said NU could be sneaky good next year.  Really, one solid Roby back-up away right now.

Definetly looks like it will be the best shooting team miles has had between Allen, nana, Burke, jervay, and Mika-Adams. Throw in a senior version of roby and another year old Brady, we just might have something special 

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I agree as well.  So much may depend on the team chemistry.  I know that word is tossed around a lot, but when you have talent, you have players who want the ball and want to star, it is difficult to keep everyone happy.  

Should help that they are traveling overseas to play...  should help with chemistry I'd hope

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Miles called Green a PG on the radio show Monday. 

Makes sense.  He has the primary ball-handling responsibilities on his team, the one who typically brings the ball up the floor and initiates the offense.  I've seen him make some pretty good passes and his first move is typically to pass the ball off so, in spite of the fact he has put up some gaudy numbers, when you watch him play, he doesn't typically call his own number first.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

You can roll out a 3 combo guard lineup of Allen, Green, and Burke which is about the least number of guards we need to roll out next year due to our roster construction.

Miles also mentioned needing to pick up a PF and was imagining what a 4 star type player in that role would do.

Where did miles say this? He do an interview?