2019 SG Jervay Green (Juco) - LOI

hhcmatt

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Green was 43% and 55% from 3 his Jr. and Sr. year of high school. What were Thomas Allen's stats from high school? We haven't had many guys who shot that well in high school come into the program, I think. Hopefully he gets closer to those numbers his soph. year.

Thomas Allen was in the very high 40's his final year at Brewster Academy. I think it was 48%.

7 hours ago, 49r said:

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Coach has good things to say about a kid on his team.  Full story at 11.

17 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Especially Junior College coaches. I can still remember a coach building up Shang Ping!  Hopefully Green is the real deal.  He looks pretty good in the video.

The most important thing in the article was that he has a long wing span. That gives him a chance to be a great defender and we already know he has the offense. And wingspan is something we wouldn't have known otherwise.

1 hour ago, cjbowbros said:

The most important thing in the article was that he has a long wing span. That gives him a chance to be a great defender and we already know he has the offense. And wingspan is something we wouldn't have known otherwise.

I didn't see a wing span in the Hail Varsity article. Was there mention of it somewhere else? Please post.

3 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Especially Junior College coaches. I can still remember a coach building up Shang Ping!  Hopefully Green is the real deal.  He looks pretty good in the video.

But that isn't the case across the board.  JUCO coaches have their own reputations to protect.  As a result they typically are pretty straight with their assessments.  If you have watched the three years of Last Chance U then you sort of see what I am talking about.  If a Juco coach gets a bad reputation on his talent assessments he likely will not last long.  

By the way Shang Ping now goes by Eric Ping or "The Beast" and plays professionally in China.  So as bad as he performed with the Huskers, he is making a good living playing the game.

Edited by Huskerpapa

I talk to a fair number of coaches, and they don't all talk about their players the way Fehringer did about Green. My first question was "What kind of player is Nebraska getting?" and he honestly wasn't sure how to answer the question because he didn't know where to start. I'm sure there's a little hyperbole in what he said, but the enthusiasm he had for talking up Green isn't something you find every time you talk to a coach.

Anyway, here's the story for those that are interested.

5 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I talk to a fair number of coaches, and they don't all talk about their players the way Fehringer did about Green. My first question was "What kind of player is Nebraska getting?" and he honestly wasn't sure how to answer the question because he didn't know where to start. I'm sure there's a little hyperbole in what he said, but the enthusiasm he had for talking up Green isn't something you find every time you talk to a coach.

Jacob, was there any discussion as to why Jervay chose the Juco path?

11 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Nice article.

If you ever talk anything basketball about Denver, you have to mention Chauncey Billups at least once. Chauncey is by far the greatest basketball player from Denver and the state of CO ever. Won the Mr. Basketball award three years in a row. 

The state of Nebraska could have a three time Mr. Basketball with Chucky Hepburn. His game is similar to Chaunceys too

18 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I didn't see a wing span in the Hail Varsity article. Was there mention of it somewhere else? Please post.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-nebraska-gains-commitment-from-junior-college-guard-jervay-green/article_82d086f1-6a27-5175-8e54-539c70301e48.html

Different article "Green is a 6-foot-3 slasher who can get the rim, and can bother defenders with a long wingspan."

Just now, cjbowbros said:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/recruiting-nebraska-gains-commitment-from-junior-college-guard-jervay-green/article_82d086f1-6a27-5175-8e54-539c70301e48.html

Different article "Green is a 6-foot-3 slasher who can get the rim, and can bother defenders with a long wingspan."

Dang. I was hoping they would have actually listed it.

Silver lining though is that we already have next year's candidate for what to try and pick apart in the team photo.

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Dang. I was hoping they would have actually listed it.

Silver lining though is that we already have next year's candidate for what to try and pick apart in the team photo.

I mentioned it from watching video before the article came out but yeah 6'5" and 6'8" wingspan could make a big difference.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:38 PM, Jacob Padilla said:

Great story, Jacob!  And congrats on a retweet from Tim Miles (I hope this link works—if it doesn’t show Miles’s retweet, the retweet still happened):

Edited by Swan88

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

My greatest Shang Ping memory is when he hard fouled Joe Dabbert during a summer league game in Omaha...and Chad Millard started barking, only to have Ricky Thenarse challenge him to a fight. ? Millard tucked real fast...

Joe Dabbert was being a dick.  I was there and watched it unfold.  The hard fouls were by Dabbert who was acting like this was for the all-time NU-Creighton Championship, and Ping, a dude who had no notion of the rivalry, was looking at him like "Dude, what the hell is your problem?" At one point, they had to separate them.

I also remember a drunk Creighton fan stood up and yelled at the Nebraska crowd "You have no answer!" when Booker Woodfox started draining threes.  Man, that sumbitch could shoot.

36 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Joe Dabbert was being a dick.  I was there and watched it unfold.  The hard fouls were by Dabbert who was acting like this was for the all-time NU-Creighton Championship, and Ping, a dude who had no notion of the rivalry, was looking at him like "Dude, what the hell is your problem?" At one point, they had to separate them.

I also remember a drunk Creighton fan stood up and yelled at the Nebraska crowd "You have no answer!" when Booker Woodfox started draining threes.  Man, that sumbitch could shoot.

I was there too. My brother and I went to the summer league game when Sallie crossed a CU guy at the top of the key, drove, and dunked on Pierce Hibma so hard his mom got injured. I was sitting next to John Turek’s dad and he states “that guy is gonna be elite” sigh....