Jordy Gone

8 minutes ago, 49r said:

Do you mean you think it's possible the parting was mutual?

I had thought it unlikely he'd return based on last season's incident. So the timing is strange, but maybe not if he's been rehabbing on NU's dime and is now ready to leave. If he turns up somewhere else in the next few days, then it seems like maybe this is how it was going to play out all along. I'd guess word will filter to the media about how everything went down, but it's hard to believe we knew he was going all along.

Don't care either way, time to move on.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

21 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Better off without him because he clearly didn’t want to be at NU.  It seems to me that he regarded himself as a starter.  Roby will have to avoid the silly fouls that plagued him last year.  I don’t believe in handing out scholarships just to get a big body.  Make do with what we have.

No offense to Tanner Borchardt, but he was a liability on the court last year IMO.  Heiman will have to play this year unless we get a decent transfer.

It's like if you were to go to a steak house and you are eating a Bone in Ribeye, and in the middle of eating it they pull the plate away and give you a minute steak.  That is what is felt like when Borchardt came in for Roby or Copeland.

Now with Jordy it was like they pulled the Bone in Ribeye and you end up with a New York Strip.  That is what Jordy gave us... Solid back up when you run out of the best meat.

Heiman is a more versatile Big and I think that trumps what Borchardt gives us.  Even if he only weighs 200 pounds, he can play inside and out.  For size/strength comparison only... Kevin Durant has the same build as Heiman.  Would you redshirt Durant because he is a weak bean pole?  No because he is a skilled basketball player that can dominate.  I mean Heiman doesn't have Durant skills, but he is definitely more skilled than Borchardt IMO!

Edit: I am referring to the Durant at Texas that struggled to bench 185 pounds

Edited by big red22

13 minutes ago, big red22 said:

No offense to Tanner Borchardt, but he was a liability on the court last year IMO.  Heiman will have to play this year unless we get a decent transfer.

It's like if you were to go to a steak house and you are eating a Bone in Ribeye, and in the middle of eating it they pull the plate away and give you a minute steak.  That is what is felt like when Borchardt came in for Roby or Copeland.

Now with Jordy it was like they pulled the Bone in Ribeye and you end up with a New York Strip.  That is what Jordy gave us... Solid back up when you run out of the best meat.

Heiman is a more versatile Big and I think that trumps what Borchardt gives us.  Even if he only weighs 200 pounds, he can play inside and out.  For size/strength comparison only... Kevin Durant has the same build as Heiman.  Would you redshirt Durant because he is a weak bean pole?  No because he is a skilled basketball player that can dominate.  I mean Heiman doesn't have Durant skills, but he is definitely more skilled than Borchardt IMO!

Edit: I am referring to the Durant at Texas that struggled to bench 185 pounds 

Borchardt was just as effective as Jordy at times.   He's not skilled.   In that, you are right.   But unlike Jordy, he knew and embraced his role more.  I'd have hardly called Jordy a NY strip.   More like an uncooked sirloin.

Disappointing for sure, but we still have backups at every position, and our starting 5 are going to play a ton of minutes this year.  I think it's a completely boneheaded decision on Jordy's part considering it's likely Roby will get drafted before his senior season.  Jordy likely would've been starting next year.  Dummy.  

Honestly, that might be the last traditional center Miles ever puts on scholarship.  We are much better when the 4-5 can space the floor.  This might be a motivator for Heiman to advance his skills/body faster for the winter.  

7 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Miles talked to the family and must have heard enough right things to allow him back. Either Jordy or his family or both knew they were being untruthful at that meeting. This is 100% on Jordy even if the decision was guided by others. 

One could infer by our lack of recruiting on the big man front that a condition for Jordy to come back after leaving the team was for him to agree to not transfer this year.

7 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

If you think Heiman is a better option to play than Borchardt this year you're insane.

Why would I be insane?

Size = Borchardt

Knowledge of the System = Borchardt

Potential = Heiman

Ball Control = Heiman

Athletic Ability = Heiman

Shooting = Heiman

Height = Heiman

Vertical Jump = Heiman

Shot Blocking = Heiman

To me that doesn't seem crazy, and I am not saying that Heiman is ready to play either.  He just gives us more at this point.  I would feel a whole hell of a lot better if we got a transfer

Edited by big red22

6 minutes ago, khoock said:

If only we could morph Heiman and Borchardt into one player.

It just sucks there is going to be such a big drop off of talent once Roby or Copeland go out of the game.   Not saying Jordy was comparable, but you saw my meat reference...

Edited by big red22

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Why would I be insane?

Size = Borchardt

Knowledge of the System = Borchardt

Potential = Heiman

Ball Control = Heiman

Athletic Ability = Heiman

Shooting = Heiman

Height = Heiman

Vertical Jump = Heiman

Shot Blocking = Heiman

To me that doesn't seem crazy, and I am not saying that Heiman is ready to play either.  He just gives us more at this point.  I would feel a whole hell of a lot better if we got a transfer

That is a lot of speculation that Heiman is better than Tanner in some of those areas.  No doubt that Heiman has a height advantage but not sure he is better than Tanner in all those areas.  Also, you are comparing Tanner to playing against Big 10 talent to Heiman playing against high school kids. 

For this season it’s  borchardt by a mile over Heiman. Heiman has good potential down the road. As long as borchardt isn’t asked to play more then 10-15 minutes he will be fine. Plus he actually plays really solid post defense and for those that watch for it almost always boxed someone out last year when on the floor. Two very solid areas that this team struggles w. We definitely need a juco or grad guy 6’8” or taller as another option however. Anyone know if we have been in contact w anyone not committed yet? 

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

Borchardt was just as effective as Jordy at times.   He's not skilled.   In that, you are right.   But unlike Jordy, he knew and embraced his role more.  I'd have hardly called Jordy a NY strip.   More like an uncooked sirloin.

Knowing your role is way more important than who is better etc.

I would much rather have a guy that knows to get after boards, set screens and only shoot if wide open underneath the hoop than a player who thinks he needs to get his when he is the game.

8 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

For this season it’s  borchardt by a mile over Heiman. Heiman has good potential down the road. As long as borchardt isn’t asked to play more then 10-15 minutes he will be fine. Plus he actually plays really solid post defense and for those that watch for it almost always boxed someone out last year when on the floor. Two very solid areas that this team struggles w. We definitely need a juco or grad guy 6’8” or taller as another option however. Anyone know if we have been in contact w anyone not committed yet? 

If Heiman decides not to redshirt and we use him instead of Tanner...we are not only trading Heiman for Borchardt this year...you are trading Heiman first year player for Heiman 5th year senior, 5 seasons from now.

42 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

That is a lot of speculation that Heiman is better than Tanner in some of those areas.  No doubt that Heiman has a height advantage but not sure he is better than Tanner in all those areas.  Also, you are comparing Tanner to playing against Big 10 talent to Heiman playing against high school kids. 

Ummm... Everything I mentioned is noticeable. 

The only one's I am not 100% certain on is vertical jump and shot blocking, but from what I've seen from Tanner so far is that he doesn't have a 31.5 inch vert, and he isn't a shot blocker. 

Heiman's strong suit is shot blocking, but I'll give you that it is against Nebraska Class B

Heiman's Verticle

Yes Heiman is playing Class B high school basketball... but in his highlights it shows on multiple occasion him dribbling the whole court and finishing. I don't think Tanner is capable of doing that at any level.

Ball Handling = Check

Potential = Check

Athletic Ability = Check

Also in his highlights I've seen multiple 3 point baskets.  That shows that he has range on his shot.  Sorry, but we are not going to see Tanner shooting the rock behind the arc at any point in his career.

Shooting = Check

You already gave the advantage on height

Height = Check

37 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I can understand this, but if Heiman is better now... you play Heiman now.  Like I said we need a transfer, because I am not comfortable with Tanner or Heiman right now

Edited by big red22

1 minute ago, big red22 said:

Ummm... Everything I mentioned is noticeable. 

The only one's I am not 100% certain on is vertical jump and shot blocking, but from what I've seen from Tanner so far is that he doesn't have a 31.5 inch vert, and he isn't a shot blocker. 

Heiman's strong suit is shot blocking, but I'll give you that it is against Nebraska Class B

Heiman's Verticle

Yes Heiman is playing Class B high school basketball... but in his highlights it shows on multiple occasion him dribbling the whole court and finishing. I don't think Tanner is capable of doing that at any level.

Ball Handling = Check

Potential = Check

Athletic Ability = Check

Also in his highlights I've seen multiple 3 point baskets.  That shows that he has range on his shot.  Sorry, but we are not going to see Tanner shooting the rock behind the arc at any point in his career.

Shooting = Check

You already gave the advantage on height

Height = Check

Potential?   Yes.   Heimann's is higher.   Does he reach it this year though?

Athletic Ability?  Depends.   Is Heimann quicker and more agile?   Likely.  Does he have the functional athletic ability to do what we need him to do now?   Up for debate.  

Ball Handling?   Again..up for debate.   Sure, Heimann might be able to dribble better.   But being strong with the ball is also a measure of ball handling.  Borchardt would have an advantage here.  And how much ball handling does either do?   This is pretty negligible considering what each of their roles would be.