Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JBARGIE

Top Nebrasketball Dunks

Recommended Posts

Full disclaimer, I am fairly young and the first Nebrasketball team I remember watching is the 2000-01 squad led by Cookie Belcher.  So there may be some recency bias here, especially since the Tim Miles Era has produced much more athletic ability than the Barry Collier or Doc Sadler eras.

 

Without further ado, my own personal top 5 Nebrasketball dunks of all time:

 

1. Jason Dourisseau breaks the basket.  I'll admit I did not watch this one live, but did listen to the call on the radio and saw it on Sportscenter the next day.

 

 

2. Caleb Walker Alley-Oop vs. Illinois.  One-handed alley oop from a pass outside the three point line... incredible.

 

 

3. Isaac Copeland posterizes 7'2" Isaac Haas.

 

 

4. Sek Henry posterizes Andre Drummond.  Technically not a Nebrasketball dunk but I can't leave this one out.

 

 

5. James Palmer Jr. posterizes Kevin Huerter.  This may not even be JPJ's best dunk but in the moment it so unexpected and dunking over a first-round NBA talent is a big deal.

 

 

Honorable mention:

 

* Roby rises up vs. Rutgers:

 

* David Rivers dunk vs FGCU to open up the PBA

 

* The Aleks Maric dunk, which always looked the same

 

* JPJ Kobe Bryant dunk vs. Penn St.

 

* The Cookie Miller dunk (he claimed he could do it but don't think I ever saw it)

 

* Terran Petteway posterize vs. Baylor in the NCAA Tournament.  would have made the list if this game had gone well

 

 

Edited by JBARGIE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roby's dunk needs to be in there for sure, I would take Sek's out

 

1. Caleb Walker - Than one handed Alley-Oop was Sports Center #1 I believe

2. Copeland - Anything over Haas is a huge dunk!

3. Roby - Dunk was so high above the rim it deserves to be here

4. Dourisseau - Dunk was weak, but the hoop did go down

5. Palmer - One handed jam was better than the one against Maryland IMO

 

Honorable Mention for me is the one that didn't go down, but if it did it would of been #1 hands down on this list.  Copeland's face at the end of the Video was priceless

 

 Roby vs Illinois

 

Edited by big red22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Those are NICE... It's just too bad not many games from the Curtis Moore era were televised. That guy had some SICK dunks.

6 dunks in 1 game his Sr year in non-conference....IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 11:41 AM, Handy Johnson said:

Those are NICE... It's just too bad not many games from the Curtis Moore era were televised. That guy had some SICK dunks.

 

I guess this really should be top YouTube-era dunks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During a Husker Madness Dunk Contest, Wes Wilkinson tossed the ball off the shot clock and reached way back and slammed it. Very  cool. Anyone else remember that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 9:22 AM, skerbball said:

I remember Myles “Hollywood” Holley had a huge dunk back in 2010 in Austin against Texas. I can’t find a video..we lost by 40 that afternoon 

Holley has to have the most dunks per minutes played in Husker history right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going way back but two stand out to me, both from the 80s. One was the out of bounds play that Moe Iba ran for Greg Downing to get the alley oop. Seemed like it was good for one good dunk  game.

The other was Dave Hoppen's freshman year.  His first few dunks were less than impressive. I think he was getting some grief from the guys on the team, especially Terry Johnson.

Then one game, I don't remember which, he is coming down the court on a fast break and gets feed for the dunk and he throws it down hard and the bench went wild. Nothing fancy, but memorable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this wasnt a successful dunk, but oh so close: Walt P's almost dunk against Ohio State in the BTT quarterfinals. I think we were up like 18 at the time. If he would have jammed it home im calling game over.

 

That failed reverse dunk was a big turning point imo.

 

*Im fairly young, so i dont remember too many seasons of Husker Hopps before Miles arrived*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

So definitely not the greatest ever... but Conklin’s tip dunk in Hawaii was pretty cool at the time!

I don't remember him ever in the paint to be honest... I just knew his senior year that if Conklin was shooting a 3, it was going in!  I can't believe I don't remember that, because Conklin dunking would of had me pretty pumped up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I don't remember him ever in the paint to be honest... I just knew his senior year that if Conklin was shooting a 3, it was going in!  I can't believe I don't remember that, because Conklin dunking would of had me pretty pumped up!

 

Ya it was a prettt big moment in the game. Conklin had a HUGE game out there in the NIT. 

 

I seem to remember Badgett having a pretty big dunk on a breakaway, and I feel like it was a big spot in a big game... but I was pretty young, so I’m not recalling any details. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall Kimani Ffriend passing the ball inbounds after a basket to Cookie Belcher and then running down court to the basket.  Cookie dribbled to the center court and passed the ball to Kimani who dunked the pass into the basket.  Maybe not a great dunk, but what an athletic play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

 

Ya it was a prettt big moment in the game. Conklin had a HUGE game out there in the NIT. 

 

I seem to remember Badgett having a pretty big dunk on a breakaway, and I feel like it was a big spot in a big game... but I was pretty young, so I’m not recalling any details. 

Badgett dunk you’re likely thinking of was in 93 ( maybe 1992 ).  KU at home.  Kevin Pritchard drives the lane late down by 2.  Derrick Chandler blocks the shot and TB grades the loose ball and goes down for the jam to seal the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lang said:

Badgett dunk you’re likely thinking of was in 93 ( maybe 1992 ).  KU at home.  Kevin Pritchard drives the lane late down by 2.  Derrick Chandler blocks the shot and TB grades the loose ball and goes down for the jam to seal the game.  

 

Thanks - that’s the one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

 

Ya it was a prettt big moment in the game. Conklin had a HUGE game out there in the NIT. 

 

I seem to remember Badgett having a pretty big dunk on a breakaway, and I feel like it was a big spot in a big game... but I was pretty young, so I’m not recalling any details. 

 

I wish that game would've been on TV. I remember Randy Lee and Davison going nuts on the radio. Nebraska was down 17 at half and made a huge 23-5 run with Conklin making 3 straight 3 pointers. Like 1AM Nebraska time...

 

http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/240820062

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 1:16 PM, wwjamie said:

I'm going way back but two stand out to me, both from the 80s. One was the out of bounds play that Moe Iba ran for Greg Downing to get the alley oop. Seemed like it was good for one good dunk  game.

The other was Dave Hoppen's freshman year.  His first few dunks were less than impressive. I think he was getting some grief from the guys on the team, especially Terry Johnson.

Then one game, I don't remember which, he is coming down the court on a fast break and gets feed for the dunk and he throws it down hard and the bench went wild. Nothing fancy, but memorable.

The Downing alley oops were things of beauty !!   

 

By by the way, you’re combining Terry Smith and Lenard Johnson 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×