2019 SG Quenton Jackson (JUCO) -> Texas A&M

hhcmatt

9 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Probably the most accurate statement ever typed in an internet debate.  Upvote for that, although I do appreciate your insight as well (even if I don't agree with the conclusion on how good the player will be).

Honestly I don't care enough about this player to debate anymore about him.  It's not like any of us have invested hours into scouting him.  I watched 5 or 6 minutes of highlights, thought "wow, explosive but raw athlete that if given time could be good."  Then saw he only has two years of eligibility left, meaning he won't have the aforementioned time.  Then read everyone's comments gushing over him, which didn't make sense to me based on what I saw and his eligibility clock.  Call it a hot take, I guess.  I just don't think this guy is going to be a difference maker at the B1G level.  I don't have anything else to add, because you're right--we're over-extrapolating at this point.  Just a gut feeling, which is often right but also often wrong.

I guess I'm mystified because I don't know what you're seeing that leads you to say he looks raw.

There was nothing in those videos that showed raw.  His juco stats sure don't say raw, not when he's dishing out assists at double the rate of his turnovers and hitting 40% of his treys.

He might be raw.  But there's nothing in any of those highlight videos that shows it.

Kyle Marks? Yeah, raw.  Even his highlight videos showed raw.  Matthew Atewe?  He was clearly raw.  Even in his highlights.

This kid?  I don't see anything that looks raw.  Again, could be raw, it's possible, highlight vids can be deceiving, but I don't see anything that would lead to that conclusion.

Besides, anyone who's 6'4", hits 40% of his three-pointers, has a 45 inch vertical leap, and can play defense would find a spot on a B1G roster.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, aphilso1 said:

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of this potential pickup.  Hoping he's just a Plan B (or C, or D...) and not a top priority for us.  I see a lot of athleticism but relatively little refined skill. 

OK, I'm sorry, not trying to beat you up here, but I've watched the video again and you just cannot justify this take based on the videos that were posted.

I see a guy with good form on his jumper and a quick catch and release.  And his 40% shooting numbers from juco back up that he's accurate and that it's not just an artifact of selective video editing.

I see a guy who takes his defender off the dribble going either to his left or right and finishing at the rim.  That's not raw.

The only thing potentially raw-looking was on a couple of fast break opportunities where he got a steal and got way out in front, he took a couple of small, stutter steps to time his jump for what resulted in amazing dunks.

Otherwise, I don't see anything remotely raw about this kid and I don't think it's even arguable.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 SG Quenton Jackson (JUCO) -> Texas A&M