2019 SG Quenton Jackson (JUCO) -> Texas A&M

hhcmatt

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of this potential pickup.  Hoping he's just a Plan B (or C, or D...) and not a top priority for us.  I see a lot of athleticism but relatively little refined skill. 

30 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I'm not a huge fan of this potential pickup.  Hoping he's just a Plan B (or C, or D...) and not a top priority for us.  I see a lot of athleticism but relatively little refined skill. 

You have a 6'5 freak of an athletic guard. With that ability and length, he could be an incredible defender at Nebraska and if he wasn't he wouldn't play for Miles so I'm going with he would be an incredible defender for us. Now all of these are highlights and highlights are never a true depiction of a players game but what I saw was a player that could finish at the rim even when not dunking and he dunks a lot with a 45+ inch verticle. He makes a heck of an option on the lob. His team last year had about 6 players averaging between 8 and 14 points. He was at 10. My guess is that means the whole team has bought into the coaches system and plays that way without fighting for the ball. So going out on a limb and I'm saying he could be a good teammate willing to play the role that was asked of him. I saw enough mid-range game in the video to know that he at least some and most players today have no midrange game. His stats say he shot just under four free throws a game at 77.5%. I can live with that % and would predict he could get to the line a lot more if that's what the coaches wanted him to do. Of course, he hit every three in the video but if you look at his stats from last year again he only took 2 threes a game but shot right at 40%. That's a number anyone would be happy with. There is not much elevation on his shot but its a quick release and he has good form so I think the 40% wasn't a fluke. He has some room to fill out and that's something the program is good at. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the only one that really matters is Miles. My opinion is he is definitely worth a scholarship.

7 hours ago, JBARGIE said:

Last one I can remember was Caleb Walker. I enjoyed his leaping ability as well.

He's a freaky athlete...but I found it interesting because of the logjam of bodies that could play there.

We are set to have all of 3 guys (Jordy-Sr, Roby-Sr, Heimann-rFr) right now (assuming Roby returns which is a stretch IMO) to man two positions in the front court.   That's pretty thin, unbalanced and unless we see a huge step up by Jordy, not very good.

Meanwhile we are set to have Thor, Nana, Burke, Allen who can not only play the two but are also going to be juniors as well in eligibility along with Harris who could also play the two. 

Combined with lack of depth at other spots and the logjam at this specific position, a JUCO offer makes me think we aren't real high on a few of those guys being big time contributors moving forward.  Not to mention some of our HS offers at the wing positions as well.

Edited by nustudent

We lose SOOO much off this year's squad that we'll need an instant infusion of experienced players when fall 2019 roles around.

We only landed one 4-year redshirt transfer.  Would have been nice to land a big man in that group.  But we lose James, we lose Glynn, we lose Isaac, and possibly we lose Isaiah.

These two jucos, this kid and Khalid Thomas, would both be good additions to keep the train rolling so that we don't backslide too far after what many around here expect will be a really good season this coming year.  We wouldn't be investing in a long-term fix with a couple of two-year guys, and Miles has proven that transfers, both juco and 4-year, can thrive here.  That gives us something positive to say in recruiting.  I mean, this is basically what we need right now.  Like HB said, peach schnapps of necessity.

We have no way of knowing how good Nana or Thor might end up being.  Maybe this kid is being recruited for their spot and their job is to show they're good enough to not let him take it.  But, based on what I saw of Quenton's video, there's nothing they'll be able to do about the athleticism part, and they don't have much advantage on the skill side if they have an advantage there at all.  And I'm not sure they do.

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We lose SOOO much off this year's squad that we'll need an instant infusion of experienced players when fall 2019 roles around.

We only landed one 4-year redshirt transfer.  Would have been nice to land a big man in that group.  But we lose James, we lose Glynn, we lose Isaac, and possibly we lose Isaiah.

These two jucos, this kid and Khalid Thomas, would both be good additions to keep the train rolling so that we don't backslide too far after what many around here expect will be a really good season this coming year.  We wouldn't be investing in a long-term fix with a couple of two-year guys, and Miles has proven that transfers, both juco and 4-year, can thrive here.  That gives us something positive to say in recruiting.  I mean, this is basically what we need right now.  Like HB said, peach schnapps of necessity.

We have no way of knowing how good Nana or Thor might end up being.  Maybe this kid is being recruited for their spot and their job is to show they're good enough to not let him take it.  But, based on what I saw of Quenton's video, there's nothing they'll be able to do about the athleticism part, and they don't have much advantage on the skill side if they have an advantage there at all.  And I'm not sure they do.

Good post.  On Roby, I'm in the category of "probably" losing him vs. "possibly".   In fact, barring injury, I think it is very doubtful that Isaiah will return for a 4th year.

11 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Little refined skill compared to whom?  Nana?  Who reportedly can shoot the ball (personally haven't seen evidence of this) but isn't so good at dribbling?

To me, looks like this kid has some handles, and he can certainly shoot.  His juco stats indicate he hit 40% of his treys.  The videos show he has Norm-approved form.  He gets good elevation and he has a compact stroke with a quick release.  He's good at the catch-and-shoot.  Can take aim quickly and get the ball away.

This is an area of need.  You have a guy who can get to the rim and finish and he can also hit from the perimeter.  And he can jump out of the gym.  What's not to like?

According to the juco stats, this kid was 4th on his team in scoring (top freshman), 2nd in steals, 3rd in assists, 3rd in 3-point accuracy, and #1 in assist:turnover ratio.

Freshman.  Best on the team in assist:turnover ratio.  That's unusual for a freshman who plays starter minutes and handles the ball enough to be 3rd on the team in assists.

12 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I wouldn't think he's at the top of our list simply due to him being a juco and thus having just two years left.

We have at least 4 scholarships to fill though so I don't mind us over-recruiting one bit.

Otherwise he seems like one of those 6'4"' to 6'7" wing types we want to throw out in our defense.

18 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

You have a 6'5 freak of an athletic guard. With that ability and length, he could be an incredible defender at Nebraska and if he wasn't he wouldn't play for Miles so I'm going with he would be an incredible defender for us. Now all of these are highlights and highlights are never a true depiction of a players game but what I saw was a player that could finish at the rim even when not dunking and he dunks a lot with a 45+ inch verticle. He makes a heck of an option on the lob. His team last year had about 6 players averaging between 8 and 14 points. He was at 10. My guess is that means the whole team has bought into the coaches system and plays that way without fighting for the ball. So going out on a limb and I'm saying he could be a good teammate willing to play the role that was asked of him. I saw enough mid-range game in the video to know that he at least some and most players today have no midrange game. His stats say he shot just under four free throws a game at 77.5%. I can live with that % and would predict he could get to the line a lot more if that's what the coaches wanted him to do. Of course, he hit every three in the video but if you look at his stats from last year again he only took 2 threes a game but shot right at 40%. That's a number anyone would be happy with. There is not much elevation on his shot but its a quick release and he has good form so I think the 40% wasn't a fluke. He has some room to fill out and that's something the program is good at. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the only one that really matters is Miles. My opinion is he is definitely worth a scholarship.

Didn't say he was unworthy of a scholarship, just that I'd be disappointed if he's a Plan A guy.  This doesn't look like someone that is going to be a stud for us on day 1, and with only two remaining years of eligibility he's not someone you can build around either.  I'd hope that each person with a fully commitable offer this early on is someone the coaches believe has the potential to be a top 2 or 3 player for us at some point in their career.  There are plenty of defensive-minded role players available in the spring signing period. 

Regarding his 3pt%, the vast majority of his attempts in his highlights were with no one in his zip code.  The videos show a guy who defenses don't have to game plan around and are content to leave wide open.  Evan Taylor and his 44% clip from three this year, with most attempts being wide open for the same reason, seems an apt comparison. 

Yes, Jackson's a freakish athlete that can jump out of the gym.  So was Caleb Walker...would you prioritize Walker?  Or Kyle Marks, another freakish athlete we've had on our roster?  Those are the guys that come to mind when I see his highlights.  And while I was fine picking both of those guys up, they certainly weren't at the top of my wish list.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Little refined skill compared to whom?  Nana?  Who reportedly can shoot the ball (personally haven't seen evidence of this) but isn't so good at dribbling?

To me, looks like this kid has some handles, and he can certainly shoot.  His juco stats indicate he hit 40% of his treys.  The videos show he has Norm-approved form.  He gets good elevation and he has a compact stroke with a quick release.  He's good at the catch-and-shoot.  Can take aim quickly and get the ball away.

This is an area of need.  You have a guy who can get to the rim and finish and he can also hit from the perimeter.  And he can jump out of the gym.  What's not to like?

Caleb Walker comes to mind, or Kyle Marks if he had been willing to defend.  Nana isn't a terrible comparison, although Nana seems a couple steps below in terms of raw athleticism.  I wasn't super stoked about Nana when we signed him, either, partially because of lack of ability to dribble in tight space and partially because I didn't think his shot would translate to B1G level competition.

As far as what's not to like, I guess I'm just disappointed that we're offering raw players with only two years of eligibility, and it's not even August yet.  Maybe I just need to lower my expectations though since we have so many open schollies.  It's probably not possible to get 4 difference makers, so getting an athletic role player isn't the end of the world.

I’ll add my two bits (this is more than I actually know—no snarky comments, please, on such being my normal state) :

I’ve always thought that Juco offers are commit-able in the late signing period, not in November.  

Both sides usually want it that way because, (i) schools want to see how the second Juco season progresses, and (ii) players don’t want to commit until they know what needs a team has—they can ill-afford a mistake on this score.

Edited by Swan88

12 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Didn't say he was unworthy of a scholarship, just that I'd be disappointed if he's a Plan A guy.  This doesn't look like someone that is going to be a stud for us on day 1, and with only two remaining years of eligibility he's not someone you can build around either.  I'd hope that each person with a fully commitable offer this early on is someone the coaches believe has the potential to be a top 2 or 3 player for us at some point in their career.  There are plenty of defensive-minded role players available in the spring signing period. 

Regarding his 3pt%, the vast majority of his attempts in his highlights were with no one in his zip code.  The videos show a guy who defenses don't have to game plan around and are content to leave wide open.  Evan Taylor and his 44% clip from three this year, with most attempts being wide open for the same reason, seems an apt comparison. 

Yes, Jackson's a freakish athlete that can jump out of the gym.  So was Caleb Walker...would you prioritize Walker?  Or Kyle Marks, another freakish athlete we've had on our roster?  Those are the guys that come to mind when I see his highlights.  And while I was fine picking both of those guys up, they certainly weren't at the top of my wish list.

I watched two highlight videos. I don't see what I would call a raw player. The first video showed him hit five threes. Three were vs. zones off of good ball movement or penetration. The other two were in the fast break where he ran to a corner and got the kick out. Three he had space but was facing closeouts shooting against high hands and the other two he had a more space but people running at him. In the second video, he did have some wide open shots but those appeared to me to be caused by defensive over-rotations and not anything in a scouting report. It was in a different era but when I played junior college ball there wasn't much to scouting reports so I think both you and I are over-extrapolating the evidence to support our argument with insufficient data to prove either of us correct. I am anal enough to take a couple of screenshots showing him hitting with a hand in his face. Odds are he won't come to Nebraska anyway and all of this will be moot.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.19.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.18.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.21.07 PM.png

27 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I think both you and I are over-extrapolating the evidence to support our argument with insufficient data to prove either of us correct.

Probably the most accurate statement ever typed in an internet debate.  Upvote for that, although I do appreciate your insight as well (even if I don't agree with the conclusion on how good the player will be).

Honestly I don't care enough about this player to debate anymore about him.  It's not like any of us have invested hours into scouting him.  I watched 5 or 6 minutes of highlights, thought "wow, explosive but raw athlete that if given time could be good."  Then saw he only has two years of eligibility left, meaning he won't have the aforementioned time.  Then read everyone's comments gushing over him, which didn't make sense to me based on what I saw and his eligibility clock.  Call it a hot take, I guess.  I just don't think this guy is going to be a difference maker at the B1G level.  I don't have anything else to add, because you're right--we're over-extrapolating at this point.  Just a gut feeling, which is often right but also often wrong.