Kristian Hudson

Bugeaters1

• 2 months later...

She started a ton of games in her career at FIU (87), dished a ton of assists (135 last year), and scored a ton of points (420 last year).  I suppose there's a temptation to pencil her into the starting lineup based on those numbers.  But she also turned the ball over a ton (116 -- Whitish lead NU with 77) on a team that only won 8 games last year.  My guess is she'll play and maybe play a lot.  But she might be a sparkplug off the bench rather than jumping into the vacancy in the starting lineup.

She's only 5'5", shot a respectable 34% on threes a year ago, and fills the stat sheet with points, rebounds, assists, and steals.  Her size and ball security are the question marks.

Jasmine started 31 games last year in the backcourt. It's her spot in the starting lineup that needs to be filled.  When Taylor was starting, she wasn't starting at the expense of Jasmine; she was starting at the expense of Nicea, mostly.  I suppose it's possible they'll both start this year, Taylor and Nicea.  Which one is the more typical 2-guard?

I think your scenario is maybe probable, fastbreaker, but it's not so obviously locked down that you look at the roster and think there's no other way this would go.  You have to replace a guard in the lineup and there are just a couple of options, frankly.  Heck, it could be Sam Haiby.  If you want traditional backcourt skill sets, you're looking for someone with some quickness and ball skills in the backcourt, right?  That's most likely Kristian and Sam.

I could see a scenario where Kristian starts alongside Hannah in the backcourt, and Nicea, Taylor, and maybe Maddie are fighting for 2 other spots along the front line with Kate.  I don't think it's automatic that our top 5 returning players from last year are your new starting lineup.  That could well be the way it turns out, and it might even be probable, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

If Hannah and Kristian play together I think that Kristian is the more typical point guard and Hannah is the more natural 2-guard.  With Kates propensity to get into foul trouble, I can see a women's version of the 'death squad' with Kristian, Hannah, Taylor, Nicea and Maddie.  As with the men's, this lineup would lose rebounded but could be a killer with the speed on the floor.   Of course Coach  Amy likes to play everyone, so who knows what we will see.  But I'm going with Hannah, Taylor, Nicea, Maddie and Kate to start the first game. 

1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:

But I'm going with Hannah, Taylor, Nicea, Maddie and Kate to start the first game. 

I agree since most of those players have more experience in our system.  We were looking hard last year for a point guard to come in off the bench early and allow for some rotation with Hannah going to 2 guard.  It didn't work out with Bria.  Depending on injuries, off nights and matchups who knows who will be starting as the season rolls on.  Anyway it is exciting to speculate.

Unless there's a hidden gem in the freshman class that can play at the B1G level right away...

....then no doubt the starters will be (barring injuries) experienced players.    As stated.....Hannah, Taylor, Nicea, Maddie and Kate. 

Having not seen any newbies play with the rest of the existing team....maybe....a couple or three may see playing time pretty quickly. Frankly they have to....."numbers" require

them to get up to speed almost immediately. About half the team is new. Not a bad thing at all...will be fun and very interesting to watch

Edited by redsteve