What type of kid should we recruit?

In theory, we have 3 scholarships per year.  So generally, you could argue that each year you need to bring in a guard, a wing and a power player.  Sure, that can vary from year to year due to a myriad of reasons;  but hey, that has to be close to reality.   You are the head coach, what qualities  are you going after?   And if you have geographic location in your top five or ten, where and why?

For me, it varies a bit by position.  One example, I like my guards coming from the Northeast.  I also like the upper Midwest (specifically Chicago) for my guards.  I see a certain toughness or grittiness, especially with NY or NJ guards.  Bigs and wings (for me) can come from any geographic location.

But I would argue that a player is a player, so geographic location would not land in my top five must haves, and may not even land in my top ten.  I am looking more at basketball IQ, athleticsm, ability to shoot, score, defend.  I would look at leadership, the ability to be a teammate and the players overall character.  I would also want someone who can find his way academically, as student life is certainly important. 

Finally,  at what point do you choose a local kid over a national kid?  If a coach is looking at two kids for one position, do you take a local kid who perhaps rates out as a 7 versus a national kid who grades out at an 8?

I've been recruited (a long time ago, and for a different sport) so I am not 100% sure how it works today.  But I am certainly interested in points of view.

28 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Guys like Mike gesell, Justin Patton, Antoine Young, Kyrie Thomas, Mike Daum, Nick Babe, Matt Hill, shereef Mitchell. You know, glue guys and NBA guys from your own state. Man Nebraska coaching staffs have made this harder on themselves. Omaha produced 2 NBA guys the last few years and huskers didn't even stiff them. 

That would be very inappropriate and all mandatory reporters on this site would have to have made some calls if they did.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Have we burned so many bridges with the Arops that this will be pointless?  Or is there still enough good will there that he'll actually consider us?

I don't think Miles extends the offer without some assurances that the young man is at least interested and open to the idea of playing for NU.

If that bridge was completely burned, it'd be better for both sides to just not extend an offer.

16 minutes ago, throwback said:

I don't think Miles extends the offer without some assurances that the young man is at least interested and open to the idea of playing for NU.

If that bridge was completely burned, it'd be better for both sides to just not extend an offer.

I assumed that to be the case if we made the offer.  Which kinda suggests that Pappa Chubick overreacted a bit about Miles wanted to send Aguek to a prep school.

For me we need to recruit a Roby type player.  No matter what we need someone over 6'8 with Copeland and Borchardt both being Seniors.  Then you have Roby, who has a strong possibility going Pro... That would leave one player on our Roster over 6'8 and that is Heiman