2020 G Donovan Williams

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Cowboys have recruiting class in top five for next year. Is Boone Pickens still involved down there? …..To answer my own question, wikipedia says he died in 2019 so I guess that would be a "no".

It doesn’t hurt that they signed the #1 player in the country. That will help your average. 

Okie State’s last two recruiting classes are remarkably better than in prior years, according to Rivals: 7 four stars and 1 five star, plus 2 three stars, in two classes.  The new coach looks to be getting it done.

Donovan Williams might find some competition there for playing time.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Okie State’s last two recruiting classes are remarkably better than in prior years, according to Rivals: 7 four stars and 1 five star, plus 2 three stars, in two classes.  The new coach looks to be getting it done.

Donovan Williams might find some competition there for playing time.

I thought recruits didn't want to play for defense-first coaches.

“Let’s Work!”

More than just a catchy team slogan, this is the foundation for Mike Boynton’s brand of basketball at Oklahoma State, and the results speak for themselves.

In just two seasons in Stillwater, Boynton and the Cowboys have produced seven wins over top-25 teams, including four top-10 victories, had four players earn All-Big 12 recognition and hauled in one of the nation’s top recruiting classes.

In short, it’s clear that Boynton’s defense-first, blue collar mentality has taken hold.

https://okstate.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/mike-boynton-jr-/1688

One thing that probably appealed to Donovan is that Okie State's coach has a history of recruiting high school players.

One thing perhaps not so appealing is that last year's group of four 4-star freshmen *combined* for 42 minutes and 12 points per game.

And, now, they're experienced. And an athletic bunch. With good size. And strength. And not likely to just let a ball handler seal them with a shoulder on the way to the rim.

So ... good luck Donovan. Work on your perimeter game.

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Cowboys have recruiting class in top five for next year. Is Boone Pickens still involved down there? …..To answer my own question, wikipedia says he died in 2019 so I guess that would be a "no".

With as much money as he gave them I'd say yes

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

One thing that probably appealed to Donovan is that Okie State's coach has a history of recruiting high school players.

One thing perhaps not so appealing is that last year's group of four 4-star freshmen *combined* for 42 minutes and 12 points per game.

And, now, they're experienced. And an athletic bunch. With good size. And strength. And not likely to just let a ball handler seal them with a shoulder on the way to the rim.

So ... good luck Donovan. Work on your perimeter game.

So.... good luck Donovan. Work on your defensive slides.

Well done, Red Don. Eve Arden was Miss Brooks. I think Richard Crenna played her student, Walter. We also used to listen to The Jack Benny and Bob Hope shows, The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee and Molly, the Shadow, and Inner Sanctum (but it was pretty scary). Never heard Major Bowes Amateur Hour, though. That was on a Twilight Zone episode.                                           

Edited by jimmykc

6 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Well done, Red Don. Eve Arden was Miss Brooks. I think Richard Crenna played her student, Walter. We also used to listen to The Jack Benny and Bob Hope shows, The Great Gildersleeve, Fibber McGee and Molly, the Shadow, and Inner Sanctum (but it was pretty scary). Never heard Major Bowes Amateur Hour, though. That was on a Twilight Zone episode.                                           

Thanks Jimmy.  :Salute:   I remember them all, but like you I'm not familiar with Major Bowes.   But Just going to show both our memories are incomplete,  it was two characters: 'Walter Denton' & 'Philip Boynton'  (I can still her Eve Arden saying 'Mr. Boynton.'

You are correct, Sir. I had to wiki this and Mr. Boynton was indeed the teacher that Miss Brooks pined for. (He was played by Jeff Chandler in the radio version). Boynton later moved to Stillwater and became coach of the Cowboys for those nonplussed readers who are wondering how this thread ended up here.