2020 G Donovan Williams

48 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

Playing devil's advocate Riley and his staff spurned his brother and there wasn't interest till Frost was hired. So it's a little different.

Frost went after the brother hard.  The brother said, “No.”  

Donovan committed to Tim Miles and told Hoiberg, “No.”

Similarities?  Differences?  Sure on both.  But it’s still two for two.

34 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Frost went after the brother hard.  The brother said, “No.”  

Donovan committed to Tim Miles and told Hoiberg, “No.”

Similarities?  Differences?  Sure on both.  But it’s still two for two.

Frost also came in hard a couple of weeks before signing day when he'd been committed to Wisconsin for a long time.

Donovan told Hoiberg no because he saw the writing on the wall......

Yeah two for two sure...but way different

On 4/5/2020 at 7:40 AM, Jugular said:

And I also think an interesting side piece is the question I brought up yesterday...why didn’t Creighton recruit this kid after he opened it back up? They have been actively looking for a scoring guard all season. Maybe that lack of interest provides some insight as well.

Just from the look of all the schools that have offered is it possible that he has zero interest in going to a small private, non-football school? If you're CU and he tells you there is no way he's going there, is there any point to offering? Feels likes he's decided that playing in the Big 12 is the right move or else he'd have irons in the fire elsewhere.

Really the one thing I wonder about Williams is whether or not he would have been the 4 year guy that operated as the anchor of this team. You had a guy who truly seemed to care about the N on his uniform and I'd argue cares so much to the point where he manufactured slights about why he couldn't come here.  Maybe that anchor ends up being Yvan, Cross, or someone else but in this program of constant change you need player(s) to buy into and demand the sort of culture that Hoiberg and Co are trying to instill.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Really the one thing I wonder about Williams is whether or not he would have been the 4 year guy that operated as the anchor of this team. You had a guy who truly seemed to care about the N on his uniform and I'd argue cares so much to the point where he manufactured slights about why he couldn't come here.  Maybe that anchor ends up being Yvan, Cross, or someone else but in this program of constant change you need player(s) to buy into and demand the sort of culture that Hoiberg and Co are trying to instill.

I remember when I thought Michael Jacobson would be a 4 year anchor. After that, I quit thinking anyone would be an anchor.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Just from the look of all the schools that have offered is it possible that he has zero interest in going to a small private, non-football school? If you're CU and he tells you there is no way he's going there, is there any point to offering? Feels likes he's decided that playing in the Big 12 is the right move or else he'd have irons in the fire elsewhere.

Wasn’t Villanova on his final list of 6 schools?

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I remember when I thought Michael Jacobson would be a 4 year anchor. After that, I quit thinking anyone would be an anchor.

Yep, I had the same train of thought. I went in thinking that M.J. would be the man with a plan. He went back to the school that offered him as a Tight End, originally. 😉

1 hour ago, khoock said:

His top 3 is apparently Texas, K-State, and Oklahoma State.

Would be an interesting storyline if he is on the opposing bench next season when we are playing in the Sprint Center

For sure it would be a story, even if D.W. isn't seeing a ton of minutes. We all know Lincoln/Omaha media would eat that stuff up, no question.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:43 PM, NUdiehard said:

cjbowbros original post was in response to Huskerinexile who said that we do not want Donovan at NU because he is not a team player and became uncoachable this year.  I think cjbowbros point was that this seems like a myopic and selective vision position considering all the other players Hoiberg has recruited to play at NU.  I have thought about this as well.  I mean, let's be honest, virtually every single high profile HS player is selfish in some form or another.  And isn't pretty much every single transfer player we bring in selfish?  These are players that just quit on their team because the situation wasn't best for them.  Some of them have quit on multiple teams already.  Are they not selfish?  What about Cam Mack (watching 10 minutes of his juco film pretty much summed him up, didn't it)?  Are we certain Donovan is more selfish than all these other players?  If you or I or Huskerinexile watched some of these other high profile players play in HS, we would probably see a lot of selfish play I imagine.  We are all excited about the signing of Trey McGowens today (as am I), but when you read his interview with Washut all he talks about is how his coach at Pitt didn't utilize him in a way that can "get him to the league" and so he quit on his team so he could play for a new coach who can hopefully get him to the league.  Again, it is what it is, but how can you, or Huskerinexile, or anyone else be sure that he is going to be a great team player and Donovan most definitely will not.  

Tim Miles scouted Donovan and thought enough of him to recruit him and accept his verbal.  Shall I take Huskerinexile's (or yours for that matter) over Tim Miles?  Or Bill Self?  Of the head coach of Texas?  Or Kansas State?  

For years we have all lamented the lack of talent in Nebraska.  Year after year after year we lament that we cannot count on any Nebraska kids to build around.  Well, now we have some Nebraska kids, but we are not signing any of them (except Arop who obviously is not of the same skill level).  Yes, we all still hold out hope for Sallis who probably is the best of the bunch.  But it also seems that Donovan and Sallis talk (friends?  Does anyone know?) so losing Donovan may hurt us with Sallis.  When Danny Nee was here, he locked up the state.  He got all the best players from the state and those were some of his best teams.  

Why not take a gamble on Donovan?  If he is a bad apple, cut him loose.  Fred is turning over the roster every year anyway, so not a lot of risk involved.  Neither you, nor I, nor Huskerinexile know for sure what his attitude would be once he is here.  Maybe once he got around the older players and got humbled on the practice floor he would grow up and mature some.  We all seem to be giving Teddy that benefit of the doubt even though he has proven otherwise many times over (and still has excessive antics on the court in juco).   I think cjbowbros was simply saying he would rather take that gamble on a 4 star Nebraska kid than some other kid from some other state who in the end is probably is just as selfish as Donovan anyway.  

You made some good points but I'm not sure what connection it has to my post your quoted?