2020 G Donovan Williams

He retweeted something from another kid who was basically dropped by KU. I get the sense we wanted out unfortunately but that is just speculation. This kind of sucks if true he seemed very talented and wanted to be here. Guessing our coaches are in on a couple guys they really want.

hope nothing but the best for Donovan and that it does not hurt with Sallis

Edited by Art Vandalay

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

No inside info but I have an inkling this wasn’t all his decision. I just never really felt he fit in with Hoiball. 

Good news is this frees up another schollie for hopefully a high end transfer. 

I think his skill set was actually pretty good for this program.

What he said in a different quote was that we seem to be looking for older, more mature players like jucos and transfers, and he doesn't want to wait to get on the floor.  Says he doesn't have time to wait. So, he wants to go somewhere to see the floor quickly. I guess.

My take is Hoiberg flushed an entire roster almost. And, in order to be competitive now, he has to find experienced players. Then you can go get HS kids to fill in around them.

I knew this was probably where things would head when he didn't sign his LOI. Getting a commit from Teddy Allen might have sealed it but it didn't cause it.

Long time lurker but do have some inside knowledge of the situation.

It has been known by both parties for a long time that Williams has been looking to explore his options. The staff was not wanting to push him out but knew it was likely he would depart the recruiting class. Not sure as to where Donovan will end up but this has been something in the works for quite a while. 

It looked like this was coming sooner than later. I like a lot of the things Fred and company are doing, but I’m not sold on their approach to high school recruiting yet. Donovan was so excited to play here and now we’re showing him the door like we’ve earned the right to turn down 4 star homegrown talent. It would make me sick to see a Wisconsin roster in 2021 with 3 players who are from a 3 hour radius of Lincoln. I’m sure the coaches have a strategy and it probably is better than mine, but right now I’m disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interestingly, in one thread, we're talking like we're going to dance next year.

That would have been independent of signing or not signing Donovan Williams. I wish Donovan all the best, but we're going to have a good program going forward either way.

Exactly.

Hope Donovan ends up finding what he's looking for. He really liked Coach Miles, from what I gathered.

11 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Per Washut: “He had every opportunity to sign an NLI in November and chose to wait. Nebraska kept recruiting.”

Donovan liked the idea of coming to Nebraska when it looked like we’d have somewhat of a depleted roster and he’d be guaranteed a role. Not joining a roster full of veteran players. 

Bottom line: Dudes have to compete for a role. And that's the case for most Div.1 athletes.

Dang. I’m seeing some fans on twitter basically tweeting at him to not let the door hit him on the way out...and that he wasn’t good enough- as a lifelong fan, are program isn’t to the point where we can be pushing away home state four star kids- they don’t historically grow on trees here- wish the young man well.