2020 G Donovan Williams

I have watched him live about a handful of times.  I believe HB described him pretty spot on.  He can be a dude.  He has a world of talent and can certainly play at the high Division I level.  But in order to do so, he has to put in the work.  He is somewhat a man among boy's right now, sort of like Akol.  Nebraska high school basketball has some decent talent, but you simply are not seeing high level talent often.  Even in AAU ball, talent is present, but defense is more or less and afterthought, so scoring is easier.  

Donovan can be a good player.  At Nebraska he will be given an opportunity.  He will have the weight room, the facilities the coaches and the support to move to the next level; but getting to that next level will be in his hands.  

I was worried a bit about his game earlier this season, he has turned it around as of late; yet his focus is still lacking a bit...but he is young and he has a tremendous upside.  I truly understand what the coaches see in him.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Huskerpapa said:

Donovan can be a good player.  At Nebraska he will be given an opportunity.  He will have the weight room, the facilities the coaches and the support to move to the next level; but getting to that next level will be in his hands.  

Isn’t that most HS players outside of the 5-star kids?

31 minutes ago, Jugular said:

Isn’t that most HS players outside of the 5-star kids?

True.  We had a discussion on another thread about player development.  Some do not believe that Nebraska develops talent, others believe we do.  My point has been and continues to be that the school can provide the facilities and so forth, but the player has to leverage his talent and put in the work.  If Donovan is willing to put in the work, I think he can be a very good, high level, Division I player.

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

True.  We had a discussion on another thread about player development.  Some do not believe that Nebraska develops talent, others believe we do.  My point has been and continues to be that the school can provide the facilities and so forth, but the player has to leverage his talent and put in the work.  If Donovan is willing to put in the work, I think he can be a very good, high level, Division I player.

Kid has some deep range. Something we desperately need

Just now, TheGov21 said:

what makes you say that?

Because of watching the recruiting of him and his brother plus him on social media.

His brother stuck with Wisconsin because they offered him first.  I have to think if Nebraska had come in around the same time he'd be a Husker.  I suspect that's part of the reason we offered him so early...if a high major pull the trigger before we did it would be a battle.  He switched AAU teams but I don't necessarily think he wanted to and made a note to stick it to their old team when they played.

Someone correct me any of this if I'm off base.

19 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems like a pretty big loyalty guy

I've definitely seen him at multiple games including the scrimmage with his dad no less. Would anyone from this board transfer to another school? He's probably just as big of a fan as we are.

Edited by cjbowbros

49 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I've definitely seen him at multiple games including the scrimmage with his dad no less. Would anyone from this board transfer to another school? He's probably just as big of a fan as we are.

I believe he was talking about transferring from North Star.  Since his brother went to a different local school, I am unsure what the allegiances are to North Star.  So I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed or transferred.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:42 PM, Huskerpapa said:

I believe he was talking about transferring from North Star.  Since his brother went to a different local school, I am unsure what the allegiances are to North Star.  So I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed or transferred.

Dang I had a response written out for that and decided you must be talking about college. I was going to say that he really has no reason to leave because he already has his 4 year plan in place. No need to go out and seek attention elsewhere. I believe that going to another team won't be that beneficial for him. It's the off the court stuff that will prepare him for a Nebraska career more than on the court stuff. It goes back a little to the discussion we had in the summer about the number 1 guy in a small town compared to the number 5 guy in a big town too.  Let him get minutes and shots in games and practice 3's in the summer. I'm sure his family will make sure he's practicing (hopefully the right way) a D1 athlete isn't new for them.

Edited by cjbowbros

On 1/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, B-town hoopsfan said:

Was like 6/15 from 3 point range I think. 14 of those were hard shots imo. 2/3 from free throw line. He’s quick, can dribble, and can definetly shoot it. He never really ran balls to the walls though and kinda seemed to just float around the floor. Any of you guys ever see him in person? 

He had some trouble w the older of the three refs tonight, was a pretty bad no call on him in the 3rd quarter the he probably let bother him the rest of the game( led to his own mini 8 point run where he was talking smack to the crowd ) he’s only a junior so I don’t see the whole refs thing as an issue.

ended up getting lucky and sat right by his family, bro was decked out in Wisconsin stuff and the lady I’m guessing was his mom is gonna make a heck of a husker fan.

bottom line is I think he’s going to be a pretty good one. Could probably come off the bench if he was on campus right now. North Star wasn’t what I expected for a class A school. Wondering if he possibly goes somewhere else for his senior year or some guys come in and play ball w him?

Yeah, that definitely sounds like her.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I have watched him live about a handful of times.  I believe HB described him pretty spot on.  He can be a dude.  He has a world of talent and can certainly play at the high Division I level.  But in order to do so, he has to put in the work.  He is somewhat a man among boy's right now, sort of like Akol.  Nebraska high school basketball has some decent talent, but you simply are not seeing high level talent often.  Even in AAU ball, talent is present, but defense is more or less and afterthought, so scoring is easier.  

I was worried a bit about his game earlier this season, he has turned it around as of late; yet his focus is still lacking a bit...but he is young and he has a tremendous upside.  I truly understand what the coaches see in him.

He's actually about the same age as Akol; he's old for his class. 

Went to watch him vs. Millard South on Friday. For perspective, when I was in high school, Millard North had one 6’5” guy and he was our center. Donovan is a man amongst boys, and is just a jr. Hit a very deep three, drive at will when needed, was 4/4 from the free throw line, and has a very nice shooting form. I can see why he’s rated where he is. He also had a breakaway dunk where he went up one handed and tomahawked it so hard it hit the back of the rim and richocheted into the third row. North Star starts just one Sr, has a very good sophomore that comes off the bench, so they will be very good next year. They beat MS 60-32, so Donovan never really had to take over.  Tonight, Miles and his staff will be at the game watching. Donovan has a very good relationship with Michael Lewis and coach Miles, and I’d say he’s a very solid commit. 

On 1/24/2019 at 12:47 PM, noahjb24 said:

I plan on going to the North Star vs. Prep game at North Star this Saturday night. Come and wear your husker stuff to support our boys!

Saw highlights last night on KETV, both 'stars' shone brightly... wondering if you would care to share your impressions, assuming you were able to attend the North Star-Creighton Prep game.

I shared five thoughts on the game over at Hail Varsity, and I posted my round-up from last week's games today.

North Star has zero spacing, and Donovan struggles to find a way to be successful within that. A lot of times he just barrels into guys trying to draw fouls, or settles for way too many 3s. Talent is there, but he's got a lot to learn.

Edited by Jacob Padilla

9 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Seems like a long time ago...

20181024_173807.jpg

Ah, the infamous scrimmage open to the public.   The night we found out Dedoch Chan or whatever his name was couldn't play a lick.   And that we wished Dachon Burke was immediately eligible.  And I hoped the horrible outside shooting displayed that night by the entire team was an aberration.   turns out we can't shoot layups either.  

4 hours ago, HB said:

Ah, the infamous scrimmage open to the public.   The night we found out Dedoch Chan or whatever his name was couldn't play a lick.   And that we wished Dachon Burke was immediately eligible.  And I hoped the horrible outside shooting displayed that night by the entire team was an aberration.   turns out we can't shoot layups either.  

Holy crap.  I forgot Dedoch until you brought him up!

• 2 weeks later...