2020 G Donovan Williams

Here's the best player in the state going back to 2013 and projecting out to 2022 based on what I've seen.

2013: Akoy Agau, Louisville

2014: Khyri Thomas, Creighton (prep school); Mike Daum in this class as well

2015: Justin Patton, Creighton

2016: Triston Simpson, South Dakota (Good mid-major player)

2017: Teddy Allen, West Virginia

2018: Shereef Mitchell, Creighton commit (prep school)

2019: Akol Arop (Nebraska offer)

2020: Donovan Williams, Nebraska commit

2021: Chucky Hepburn (Nebraska offer); Hunter Sallis and Preston Murphy Jr. in the mix as well

2022: Jasen Green

Had Nebraska actually signed the best player in the state the last 5 years, they would have gotten some pretty darn good players. Simpson is the only one who isn't a high-major player, and he'll be a three-year starter at USD (that's the level at which he belongs). Agau is the only one who had a Nebraska offer.

Projecting out, Nebraska didn't go after the best player in the 2018 class but they did get the second best one in Heiman and they've offered the best one in the next three classes. I actually wrote about the change in in-state recruiting for my column this week and included a quote I got from Donovan about Michael Lewis. Hunter Sallis is the other one to keep a close eye on in 2021; Ole Miss has already offered him, he has great bloodlines as the sone of one of the best female players to come out of the state and he has great physical tools that should continue to develop as he ages. It's way too early to speculate about Green.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

Here's the best player in the state going back to 2013 and projecting out to 2022 based on what I've seen.

2021: Chucky Hepburn (Nebraska offer); Hunter Sallis and Preston Murphy Jr. in the mix as well

Had Nebraska actually signed the best player in the state the last 5 years, they would have gotten some pretty darn good players. Simpson is the only one who isn't a high-major player, and he'll be a three-year starter at USD (that's the level at which he belongs). Agau is the only one who had a Nebraska offer.

Projecting out, Nebraska didn't go after the best player in the 2018 class but they did get the second best one in Heiman and they've offered the best one in the next three classes. I actually wrote about the change in in-state recruiting for my column this week and included a quote I got from Donovan about Michael Lewis. Hunter Sallis is the other one to keep a close eye on in 2021; Ole Miss has already offered him, he has great bloodlines as the sone of one of the best female players to come out of the state and he has great physical tools that should continue to develop as he ages. It's way too early to speculate about Green.

Who is Hunter Sallis's mom?

4 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Jessica Haynes. Parade All-American at Omaha Central and a Nebraska HS HOFer who was a three-year starter at San Diego State. 

Whoa. She and Maurtice Ivy put Nebraska girls high school basketball on the map in the '80s. I'd argue it really was not taken seriously until those two came along. 

4 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Jessica Haynes. Parade All-American at Omaha Central and a Nebraska HS HOFer who was a three-year starter at San Diego State. 

Remember her well.  She was a year behind Maurtice Ivy and Jessica chose out-of-state rather than stay in-state.  Was wondering if that wasn't who you were talking about.  My memory was she went to Arizona.  Maybe she transferred.  Or maybe I was just mistaken.

Class of 1985
Athlete
A two-time all-state and three-time All-Metro player, Haynes helped Central to back-to-back basketball state championships in 1983 and 1984. In 1984, she averaged 16.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game and her rebound and coast-to-coast drive for a layup sealed the state championship. She averaged 22 points and nearly 12 rebounds per game as a senior when she was a Parade All-American. In track, she ran on three gold-medal relays helping Central to Class A titles in 1983 and 1984. She attended San Diego State University where she was a three-year starter and a two-time All-Big West Conference selection averaging 16 points and nearly 10 rebounds per game during her career.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he has offers from P5 schools at this stage of his development, we better offer his ass.  Now.

I don't want to see this kid in our own back yard become a 4-star and go to Ole Miss because we didn't show him love early enough.

I bet we offer soon, maybe as soon as this weekend. I thought I heard he might make an unofficial to Lincoln soon. Would be smart for NU to get some kids down there when DWade and son are in town as well.

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I bet we offer soon, maybe as soon as this weekend. I thought I heard he might make an unofficial to Lincoln soon. Would be smart for NU to get some kids down there when DWade and son are in town as well.

He's going to Iowa State this weekend. Chucky Hepburn should be around to meet the Wade kid. I think Hunter is going to check out Nebraska next weekend.

12 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He's going to Iowa State this weekend. Chucky Hepburn should be around to meet the Wade kid. I think Hunter is going to check out Nebraska next weekend.

Too bad, I thought Sharpe said he was going to visit unofficially this weekend. Maybe I was not listening close enough, hopefully we get in the picture with him soon as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

Jacob, it occurs to me that Shereef Mitchell reclassified to 2019 and should be counted as a 2019 recruit, just as Khyri Thomas should be considered a 2015 recruit.  That would maybe make Mike Daum the best of 2014 but it leaves a blank for 2018 and then you'd also need to tell us who's better between Shereef and Akol.

Also wonder why it's OK for Creighton to send Shereef to prep school for a year but it was a terrible, horrible, no-good, dirty-rotten thing for Miles to suggest to Aguek Arop to go spend a year in prep school, which was manifestly the right advice.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

According to the Omaha World-Herald, the best 2018 player in Nebraska is now playing at Nebraska:

Brady Heiman, a Nebraska signee, is the No. 1 boys basketball player in Nebraska for the 2018 class.”

Only bc Shareef Mitchell reclassified and is now a 2019 prospect. He was ranked ahead of Brady until his reclassification.