2020 G Donovan Williams

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, 49r said:

Glad to see Nebraska's mishaps with older players not affecting our chances with their younger siblings. This is the younger brother of Bryson Williams who is a freshman DT at Wisconsin (Mike Riley and Co completely dropped the ball on his recruitment).

We also have a good shot at Akol Arop. And we all know how it went with his older brother.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2020 G Donovan Williams - VC
  • hhcmatt pinned this topic
13 hours ago, ballgame said:

I'm not sure if he's going to be a B1G level guy or not, but we gotta get every local kid who has D1 skills.  Let's see what he can do.  #GBR

My sense is he's a legit D1 caliber recruit.  At this point, tough to gauge whether he's solid mid-major or P5 quality.  But I think those are the parameters.  At worst a solid mid-major-type player; otherwise, a solid potential contributor on a P5 team.  I think he has sound fundamentals; I don't know if he has elite athleticism.  But I think this is a good offer and a solid recruit.

And after years of no Nebraska kids on the roster, it looks like we'll have Nebraska kids in consecutive recruiting classes.  Wonder if Moos told Miles to make that a point of emphasis.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

My sense is he's a legit D1 caliber recruit.  At this point, tough to gauge whether he's solid mid-major or P5 quality.  But I think those are the parameters.  At worst a solid mid-major-type player; otherwise, a solid potential contributor on a P5 team.  I think he has sound fundamentals; I don't know if he has elite athleticism.  But I think this is a good offer and a solid recruit.

And after years of no Nebraska kids on the roster, it looks like we'll have Nebraska kids in consecutive recruiting classes.  Wonder if Moos told Miles to make that a point of emphasis.

He might have but if he is really a good AD then the answer is no. You have to let your coaches coach and that includes recruiting who they feel are a good fit for the program. Personally, I don't see any advantage to having Nebraska kids on the roster if they aren't going to be as good as you can get everywhere else. If they can help the program recruit them and that goes beyond just do they have the talent. So if you have two players that are even and so you go with the in-state kid that makes sense to me. This isn't football where you need numbers and have a miss here and there. The smaller roster size magnifies every miss in basketball.

Edited by Dean Smith

48 minutes ago, khoock said:

I see no reason to not try and get the best kid out of the state every year. There will be years where the talent just isnt there but most years the best kid is good enough to play here or at Creighton. And i would rather have em in red than blue.

I don't think you bring in a kid just to keep Creighton from getting him.

These things roll in waves, and sometimes there are enough quality players coming out of Nebraska that you could grab one per year and they can play at the level we need.  Other times, you might go years without a D1 caliber player in-state.  Or, there's that D1 caliber player who just has no interest (or very little) in coming to play for Nebraska (Matt Hill, Mike Gesell, etc.)

But I don't think there's a consistently good supply of basketball talent in this state that we can survive on taking the best (available) player from here every year.

To put a little finer point on it, why not say the best kid from Lincoln?  Would you make it a point to take the best kid from Lincoln every year?  Of course not.  That would be silly.  There aren't enough D1 caliber recruits coming out of Lincoln year in and year out to do that.  Well, there aren't always state-wide, either.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't think you bring in a kid just to keep Creighton from getting him.

These things roll in waves, and sometimes there are enough quality players coming out of Nebraska that you could grab one per year and they can play at the level we need.  Other times, you might go years without a D1 caliber player in-state.  Or, there's that D1 caliber player who just has no interest (or very little) in coming to play for Nebraska (Matt Hill, Mike Gesell, etc.)

But I don't think there's a consistently good supply of basketball talent in this state that we can survive on taking the best (available) player from here every year.

To put a little finer point on it, why not say the best kid from Lincoln?  Would you make it a point to take the best kid from Lincoln every year?  Of course not.  That would be silly.  There aren't enough D1 caliber recruits coming out of Lincoln year in and year out to do that.  Well, there aren't always state-wide, either.

While I agree with you in premise and would not get into reaching for kids just because they are from here. I do think we will see a steady flow of kids who can play at the D1 level going forward. The number of kids competing at high levels at earlier ages has sky rocketed in the state and we are seeing the benefits. You can probably identify multiple kids in each of the next four classes (Jacob would know better) that will be D1 and I do not see that stopping anytime soon. 

So I think if that continues I think we should always have room for a couple local kids on the team. 

6 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

He might have but if he is really a good AD then the answer is no. You have to let your coaches coach and that includes recruiting who they feel are a good fit for the program. Personally, I don't see any advantage to having Nebraska kids on the roster if they aren't going to be as good as you can get everywhere else. If they can help the program recruit them and that goes beyond just do they have the talent. So if you have two players that are even and so you go with the in-state kid that makes sense to me. This isn't football where you need numbers and have a miss here and there. The smaller roster size magnifies every miss in basketball.

We've had a miss every year we didn't fill our roster too. I'm starting to think having an involved athletic director isn't the worst thing ever.   In the NBA it is almost universally excepted that the coach should not be the GM. I understand its much different because Moos isn't a great basketball mind and the GM has much more to do in the NBA in running the team but maybe this is the right time for the athletic director to make his voice heard. I'm just saying we shouldn't just except that athletic director involvement is a terrible thing without thinking because its always been done that way.

2 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

We've had a miss every year we didn't fill our roster too. I'm starting to think having an involved athletic director isn't the worst thing ever.   In the NBA it is almost universally excepted that the coach should not be the GM. I understand its much different because Moos isn't a great basketball mind and the GM has much more to do in the NBA in running the team but maybe this is the right time for the athletic director to make his voice heard. I'm just saying we shouldn't just except that athletic director involvement is a terrible thing without thinking because its always been done that way.

I don't think its terrible because it is not what we've done. I think its a terrible idea on it's on merit. Now maybe if we get Coach K as a future AD. NBA GM's are hired to run professional basketball teams. Moos was primarily hired to straighten out football. And all AD's have a lot more on their plate than one sport. I've seen nothing that shows me Moos knows anything about basketball. There are always exceptions but I don't think too many coaches (with job security - I know that greatly reduces the number) would put up with an interfering AD.

4 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't think its terrible because it is not what we've done. I think its a terrible idea on it's on merit. Now maybe if we get Coach K as a future AD. NBA GM's are hired to run professional basketball teams. Moos was primarily hired to straighten out football. And all AD's have a lot more on their plate than one sport. I've seen nothing that shows me Moos knows anything about basketball. There are always exceptions but I don't think too many coaches (with job security - I know that greatly reduces the number) would put up with an interfering AD.

I'd mostly agree. Either way I like the commit and hope to do some more research on him soon. I'm slightly concerned that he could decommit just because of how early this is but he probably had seen it all after his brother recruitment so hopefully its a set in stone and fully informed decision.