2020 G Donovan Williams

9 hours ago, colhusker said:

Think the ship has sailed. Happens when you have a kid who just needs to sign and decides not to and the coaches keep recruiting his spot.

Your disdain towards Donovan cracks me up. They kept recruiting his spot because they didn't want him.

I know as Husker basketball fans we are all excited for Hoiberg and we should be. But we shouldn't let that cloud our opinion on an 18 year old kid looking to go to a school that's best for him. Hoiberg felt that Donovan wasn't a great fit and wanted to use that scholarship on someone else. But he also didn't want the negative look to cut a 4 star city kid loose right away who was recovering from an ACL injury. So instead Hoiberg for a lack of a better term just started ignoring Donovan. Donovan seeing the writing on the wall decided to look elsewhere.

Good for Donovan that he is now going to go to a school that wants him and good for Hoiberg and Nebraska that they can use that scholarship on someone that fits what they are looking for.

6 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Noticed on KETV's highlights that they mentioned Donovan went 1 for 16 on threes against Millard North.

He will end up shooting 30% or below from deep in his high school career. I think his skill set and ability to get to the bucket would have been a good fit under Miles. 

But, under Hoiberg I think we are looking for something different. It will be interesting to see how his college game ends up. And who knows, with the proposed transfer rule maybe he will end up back in Lincoln. 

Well, he went 12-13 from the FT line, so he’s definitely not a good fit in our offense...

Only kidding.

Towards the end of the game, MN crowd and students chanting “overrated” mercilessly- he steps to the line and both free throws didn’t even hit rim. That impressed me, he wasn’t rattled.

Alao, Saint Thomas hit four straight FT’s in the final 20 seconds to preserve the win.

I appreciate good FT shooting this year...

8 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

He’s too much of a handful....but Teddy isn’t....

That decision is always going to baffle me. Just my honest opinion. 

That's basically just the spin when a guy decommits though, right? Like if Allen decommitted tomorrow, we already know what that spin would look like.

At the end of the day, I think the direction we're going is 'win now' and bringing in Allen goes towards that. DW wants to play right away and it's becoming more difficult to see that with the roster we're putting together. I guess what I don't get is the need to assign any sort of blame here one way or another. I get where Nebraska is coming from and I get where DW is coming from. It's too bad this didn't happen.

We're all about transfers. Go somewhere else and if things don't work out there let's talk.

9 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

He’s too much of a handful....but Teddy isn’t....

That decision is always going to baffle me. Just my honest opinion. 

Completely different types of handfuls. I am baffled by why Williams was so negative about the Allen signing.  I agree the ship has pry sailed anyway so it doesn’t much matter.  

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Well, he went 12-13 from the FT line, so he’s definitely not a good fit in our offense...

Only kidding.

Towards the end of the game, MN crowd and students chanting “overrated” mercilessly- he steps to the line and both free throws didn’t even hit rim. That impressed me, he wasn’t rattled.

Alao, Saint Thomas hit four straight FT’s in the final 20 seconds to preserve the win.

I appreciate good FT shooting this year...

He’s been a low 70’s % FT shooter in high school. While Hoiberg put out some great offensive numbers at Iowa St, they were never top notch from the line for whatever reason. 

52 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Completely different types of handfuls. I am baffled by why Williams was so negative about the Allen signing.  I agree the ship has pry sailed anyway so it doesn’t much matter.  

Seemed like Donovan wanted more of the local attention than he was given by Freddy. It is rather weird that Teddy Allen signing would dissuade Williams from being "N"! 

2 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

Your disdain towards Donovan cracks me up. They kept recruiting his spot because they didn't want him.

I know as Husker basketball fans we are all excited for Hoiberg and we should be. But we shouldn't let that cloud our opinion on an 18 year old kid looking to go to a school that's best for him. Hoiberg felt that Donovan wasn't a great fit and wanted to use that scholarship on someone else. But he also didn't want the negative look to cut a 4 star city kid loose right away who was recovering from an ACL injury. So instead Hoiberg for a lack of a better term just started ignoring Donovan. Donovan seeing the writing on the wall decided to look elsewhere.

Good for Donovan that he is now going to go to a school that wants him and good for Hoiberg and Nebraska that they can use that scholarship on someone that fits what they are looking for.

Sorry Mr Williams, I have no disdain towards your son.  Just find it funny some are whining that he didn't get the love he wanted.  He was told he could sign, hell if the reason you give is true, sign and prove them wrong.  He chose to take his ball and look elsewhere.  I really do hope he finds a place he likes.

I like Donovan and his game, college is a big choice, and you have to make the right one - sometimes it's not the school 10 minutes from your house. I will find it interesting to see where he ends up, we will be able to tell if immediate playing time was a huge factor for him, or if he doesn't mind riding the pine behind some transfers, 5 stars or talented upperclassman. At the end of the day I don't care how Hoiberg gets us our first tourny win, I just want it to happen. If Hoiberg doesn't want DW for some reason, he deserves the benefit of the doubt - though I'm still not convinced that was the case. 

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

He will end up shooting 30% or below from deep in his high school career. I think his skill set and ability to get to the bucket would have been a good fit under Miles

But, under Hoiberg I think we are looking for something different. It will be interesting to see how his college game ends up. And who knows, with the proposed transfer rule maybe he will end up back in Lincoln. 

It sure does seem like this situation is just unfortunate collateral damage from Moos making a coaching change more than anything doesn't it?

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

KU has the top JUCO player in the country signed (SG), and a 5 star HS SG signed. I can't see Williams ending up at KU.

My recommendation for the young man would be to find a college that limits its basketball roster to 5 players or find a college that is looking to start a team from scratch so he can be their first and only player.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

My recommendation for the young man would be to find a college that limits its basketball roster to 5 players or find a college that is looking to start a team from scratch so he can be their first and only player.

There’s definitely places he could start from day 1, KU probably isn’t one of them!

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

There’s definitely places he could start from day 1, KU probably isn’t one of them!

If he starts day one at KU, then it’s clear we made a mistake not continuing the hard push on this kid. 

But I’m with you on this; odds aren’t good it happens. 

Edited by atskooc

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-oklahomastate/college/oklahomastate/basketball/williams-talks-oklahoma-state

Interesting Article - Okie St part was telling to me - he seemed irritated at coaches pushing him to commit. My thought is maybe that is tied to Nebraska, I wonder if Donovan wanted to look around more - and Hoiberg said, sign in the fall or were gonna fill that spot somewhere else.