2020 G Donovan Williams

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/plus/meeting-fred-hoiberg-made-things-easier-for-husker-commit-donovan/article_db7ed544-d626-54a4-ac6f-f706623d921a.html

Behind the pay wall, but the entire staff visited Williams yesterday. That's a huge thing for a young man after an injury, showing they're still confident in him.

Sounds like he'll try to get back for the high school season opener, but says he "won't rush it." 

Hasn't had surgery yet, but it's scheduled for end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big Ten player comp: A taller Shep Garner

Strong, physical 3 and D guard. Very quick release with NBA range. Struggled to handle the ball against pressure defense. Prone to turnovers whenever he took more than 2 or 3 dribbles (Andrew White). I see this with Donovan, the ball gets too far away from his body whenever he crosses over and/or goes left (Roby). But Garner was an excellent role player and leader. 

5 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Big Ten player comp: A taller Shep Garner

Strong, physical 3 and D guard. Very quick release with NBA range. Struggled to handle the ball against pressure defense. Prone to turnovers whenever he took more than 2 or 3 dribbles (Andrew White). I see this with Donovan, the ball gets too far away from his body whenever he crosses over and/or goes left (Roby). But Garner was an excellent role player and leader. 

I will disagree a bit with this overview.  Watching this kid play numerous games, you have to understand that the ball was constantly in his hands.  He has unlimited range, yet his forte was penetrating and kicking to wide open wings and getting his big man in good one-on-one situations.  He turned the ball over when he tended to overcook his game.  At the next level, he will not have to be the sole ball handler.  The game that impressed me the most was the Creighton Prep game.  I cannot remember the name of the Prep kid, but the Prep kid was in DW's pocket all night, but despite the pressure, he handled the ball and engaged his teammates.

This kid has talent Lincoln has not seen in years.  

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

I will disagree a bit with this overview.  Watching this kid play numerous games, you have to understand that the ball was constantly in his hands.  He has unlimited range, yet his forte was penetrating and kicking to wide open wings and getting his big man in good one-on-one situations.  He turned the ball over when he tended to overcook his game.  At the next level, he will not have to be the sole ball handler.  The game that impressed me the most was the Creighton Prep game.  I cannot remember the name of the Prep kid, but the Prep kid was in DW's pocket all night, but despite the pressure, he handled the ball and engaged his teammates.

This kid has talent Lincoln has not seen in years.  

Thanks for the feedback. I have not seen him play in person. Just his Hudl film. I still don't believe he has a tight enough handle, but agree that he'll be better off the ball. There's nothing wrong with that. There are all-conference level guards/wings who don't have the ball "on a string", as they say. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...