2020 G Donovan Williams

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Three of the four Nebraska targets (Arop, Williams, Hepburn) made it to state, and it too a miraculous buzzer-beater to keep the fourth out.

I think all four are talented but I could not label any of them a sure thing from a power five perspective. You know them better than I but my take would be that Williams is the most intriguing but his attitude and lazy defense makes him an at risk offer. Hepburn is solid but also small and not sure how consistent of a shooter he is which would be the question on Arop and if he is without a true position in college. Sallis is a wild card with a lot of potential but has a ways to go but also is young and will get better. I hope it works out for all of them but I can see why recruiting can be a scrap shoot.

6 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I think all four are talented but I could not label any of them a sure thing from a power five perspective. You know them better than I but my take would be that Williams is the most intriguing but his attitude and lazy defense makes him an at risk offer. Hepburn is solid but also small and not sure how consistent of a shooter he is which would be the question on Arop and if he is without a true position in college. Sallis is a wild card with a lot of potential but has a ways to go but also is young and will get better. I hope it works out for all of them but I can see why recruiting can be a scrap shoot.

Sallis is pretty clearly the top prospect of that group. He's still growing and could get to 6'6" or 6'7", he's an incredibly smooth scorer and he's already a good defender with even more potential on that end. His growth over the past two years since the first time I saw him play has been incredible. 

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Sallis is pretty clearly the top prospect of that group. He's still growing and could get to 6'6" or 6'7", he's an incredibly smooth scorer and he's already a good defender with even more potential on that end. His growth over the past two years since the first time I saw him play has been incredible. 

I saw him early in the year, but you could see the potential. Just has to refine his game and like you said if he grows he could be really good.  Being a good defender will help.  I don't think kids realize that your offense might get you looks from college coaches but defense will often determine if you see the floor or not.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Keeping him should be the new coaches #1 priority as soon as he's hired. You don't let kids in your backyard leave like that. Could just be me though. 

Agree he should be #1 priority followed by making sure Green sticks.  However, part of the game when there is a coaching change and the said kid likes the coach he committed to.

Recruits are free to do what they want, and I won't disparage them for looking out for themselves when a coaching change (assistant or head coach) occurs. I certainly hope he stays committed and gives the new coach a chance, but I also understand reality.

But this sparks another question. Why did Williams and Green connect most with Miles in the year he's going to be fired, and Xavier connects more with Hunter in the year he leaves instead of the head coach? 

It's like this is a microcosm of the overall luck of NU basketball.

23 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I just don’t want to hear how we don’t have a coach who can get in-state talent if we lose Miles and then Donovan.  Because we did have one.

With all due respect. We don't need a head coach that can recruit Nebraska. We need a head coach who can get Big 10 level talent here and get to the tournament. You do that and it makes it pretty easy to get the worthy in state kids to stay. 

Edited by TheGov21

On 3/17/2019 at 8:19 PM, Navin R. Johnson said:

I heard a rumor from someone who heard it from someone (sorry) that he will open up his recruitment if Miles is not retained while also transferring to a prep school.

There have been rumors that he'd be leaving North Star since his freshman year. Whether it's to go to Southeast where his brother went, or down to Kansas City or up to Wisconsin or to IMG Academy. I'll believe it when I see it.

Rumors at state tournament were that Williams will be to old to play high school basketball next year. So that is why he will go prep school route. Per NSSA rules if a student turns 19 before August 1st he is ineligible to compete. Once again, just a rumor.  

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

Rumors at state tournament were that Williams will be to old to play high school basketball next year. So that is why he will go prep school route. Per NSSA rules if a student turns 19 before August 1st he is ineligible to compete. Once again, just a rumor.  

Makes sense he looks 25 years old.?