2020 G Donovan Williams

I'd post the photo I have of Donovan I took last night, if I could figure out how to, which I can't...sigh... .  But I wasn't trolling the kid, I actually was taking a photo of Norm and the rest of the crowd across the way, and he literally stepped into my shot.

Just a bit more on Donovan; he was there with others, but one young man seemed to be a good friend.  Went to get snacks with him and so forth.  My initial thought was that they were the same age.  The difference was that Donovan looked mature, beyond his years, and the friend looked like a typical HS sophomore or junior.  The difference was rather remarkable.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Had 29 this morning including what looked like 7 effortless 3s from the high lights. Looks like we got a really good one here. My only question is how high do you think he can go in the rankings by the end of his senior year? Top 50? 

I think Donovan is struggling just a bit this season.  I do believe he was 7-14 from 3-land yesterday, but he is shooting a pretty low percentage this year.  Part of it may be that defenses are being built to focus on him, part of it may be self-imposed pressure of committing to the Huskers and the weight that may carry.  But the two times I have watched him, tells me,, that he is the real deal and will perform well at the next level.  

By the way, he came off the bench yesterday.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, HB said:

He has 19 at half.  His range is DEEP.  Hit a couple of bombs 

Ya it was a pretty impressive half. From what I can see the shooting concerns have no merits. He’s taking all the threes on the move and from well beyond the three point line. The one catch and shoot he had was nothing but net. His stroke is pretty pure. An actual offense w college level teammates will help his percentages greatly IMO

Well that was interesting.  Donovan ends up with 32 I think.  Impressed with his quickness, strength, and NBA range.  Shot it well.  I could see him being able to attack the rim at the next level.  Did nothing when the ball wasn't in his hands.  Lazy player if he doesn't have the ball.  Better get over that or college ball won't be kind.   Whined for calls rather than playing on.    He's a wonderful ball of clay to work with, but will need to learn to play defense and improve effort.  

Northstar screwed the pooch.  Up 12 at half, came out lackadaisical in the second half and paid the price.  

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Well that was interesting.  Donovan ends up with 32 I think.  Impressed with his quickness, strength, and NBA range.  Shot it well.  I could see him being able to attack the rim at the next level.  Did nothing when the ball wasn't in his hands.  Lazy player if he doesn't have the ball.  Better get over that or college ball won't be kind.   Whined for calls rather than playing on.    He's a wonderful ball of clay to work with, but will need to learn to play defense and improve effort.  

Northstar screwed the pooch.  Up 12 at half, came out lackadaisical in the second half and paid the price.  

Was like 6/15 from 3 point range I think. 14 of those were hard shots imo. 2/3 from free throw line. He’s quick, can dribble, and can definetly shoot it. He never really ran balls to the walls though and kinda seemed to just float around the floor. Any of you guys ever see him in person? 

He had some trouble w the older of the three refs tonight, was a pretty bad no call on him in the 3rd quarter the he probably let bother him the rest of the game( led to his own mini 8 point run where he was talking smack to the crowd ) he’s only a junior so I don’t see the whole refs thing as an issue.

ended up getting lucky and sat right by his family, bro was decked out in Wisconsin stuff and the lady I’m guessing was his mom is gonna make a heck of a husker fan.

bottom line is I think he’s going to be a pretty good one. Could probably come off the bench if he was on campus right now. North Star wasn’t what I expected for a class A school. Wondering if he possibly goes somewhere else for his senior year or some guys come in and play ball w him?