2020 G Donovan Williams

13 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

It'd be fun to get a group to go to a North Star game and support Donovan. Maybe when the huskers have an off week and we need more basketball!

What if just a ton of us showed up to the Creighton Prep-North Star game at North Star all decked out in Husker gear to watch our boys DWill and Akol?

12 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

What if just a ton of us showed up to the Creighton Prep-North Star game at North Star all decked out in Husker gear to watch our boys DWill and Akol?

Is it at North Star? What date is it? But yes that's the idea I am looking for or if thats not a great situation where does Chucky play?

4 hours ago, atskooc said:

Andre Woolridge?

Andre Woolridge was roughly top 25, which would make him a 5-star by today's standards.

Erick Strickland was top 80 according to Street and Smith from way back in the day.  Both Strickland and Boone were somewhere in the 70s, making them both solid 4-stars.  And then Amos Gregory was a 1st team juco AA.

How's that for a  recruiting class?

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Andre Woolridge was roughly top 25, which would make him a 5-star by today's standards.

Erick Strickland was top 80 according to Street and Smith from way back in the day.  Both Strickland and Boone were somewhere in the 70s, making them both solid 4-stars.  And then Amos Gregory was a 1st team juco AA.

How's that for a  recruiting class?

Pretty damn salty!

I have no idea if this is correct, but I remember Woolridge being the 2nd ranked point guard that year, behind Jason Kidd. 

I don't even know if they were in the same class, but that's how I've always remembered it.

5 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Pretty damn salty!

I have no idea if this is correct, but I remember Woolridge being the 2nd ranked point guard that year, behind Jason Kidd. 

I don't even know if they were in the same class, but that's how I've always remembered it.

I think that's exactly correct.  Jason Kidd was a top 5 player in that class; Andre was the next best PG but there were a lot of players in between.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Rivals 150 for 2020 lists him as #92.  So, in the history of Rivals rankings, better than any HS recruit we've had besides Glynn Watson.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2020

Only six players in the top 150 have committed so far Donovan is the lowest rated one. Not saying we shouldn't have offered or anything you could take it either way. 

On 9/17/2018 at 5:44 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Jacob, it occurs to me that Shereef Mitchell reclassified to 2019 and should be counted as a 2019 recruit, just as Khyri Thomas should be considered a 2015 recruit.  That would maybe make Mike Daum the best of 2014 but it leaves a blank for 2018 and then you'd also need to tell us who's better between Shereef and Akol.

Also wonder why it's OK for Creighton to send Shereef to prep school for a year but it was a terrible, horrible, no-good, dirty-rotten thing for Miles to suggest to Aguek Arop to go spend a year in prep school, which was manifestly the right advice.

Khyri didn't play in Nebraska in 2014-15 just like Shereef isn't going to play here in 2018-19. I wasn't referring to which recruiting class they ultimately ended up in but rather to their final year of playing high school basketball in Nebraska. As for Shereef vs. Akol, I like Akol a lot but I'll take Shereef. 

As for the prep school thing, I think the difference is that Creighton recruited Shereef with the understanding that he'd reclassify the whole time, considering his age and size among other factors. I personally still don't understand asking Aguek to reclassify (especially when they didn't end up landing anyone else with that scholarship) but then turning around and offering Akol. They have slightly different strengths, but I don't think Akol is dramatically ahead of where Aguek was at the same point. They're both moldable balls of crazily athletic clay that need some development but would play hard and compete on defense if nothing else early on.

The “Who is ‘better’” debate has a long history of being wrong.  The truth is that no one knows, or can predict, how each player will turn out.  And fan preferences on “better” can depend more on teams the fan roots for than on the actual skill of the players.

Take, for example, the Woolridge/Strickland years.  Everyone knew in high school — for certain — that Woolridge was better.  But it didn’t turn out that way over the many years that followed.  And those high school comparisons probably led to Woolridge transferring to Iowa, when the realities of Strickland’s capabilities became apparent during their freshman year.

3 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The “Who is ‘better’” debate has a long history of being wrong.  The truth is that no one knows, or can predict, how each player will turn out.  And fan preferences on “better” can depend more on teams the fan roots for than on the actual skill of the players.

Take, for example, the Woolridge/Strickland years.  Everyone knew in high school — for certain — that Woolridge was better.  But it didn’t turn out that way over the many years that followed.  And those high school comparisons probably led to Woolridge transferring to Iowa, when the realities of Strickland’s capabilities became apparent during their freshman year.

Woolridge was a better college player in my opinion. B10 POY in that time frame is damn impressive too. 

Now, if you are looking at professional career....different story. 

14 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I personally still don't understand asking Aguek to reclassify (especially when they didn't end up landing anyone else with that scholarship) but then turning around and offering Akol. They have slightly different strengths, but I don't think Akol is dramatically ahead of where Aguek was at the same point. They're both moldable balls of crazily athletic clay that need some development but would play hard and compete on defense if nothing else early on.

We did use that scholarship. If we end up bringing in Aguek after Taylor signs and then still offer Nana then we end up not having room for Copeland. While Aguek did lose a year with that knee injury the pressing issue was roster management. With that being said it's quite possible that if Aguek had come back and put the ball in Miles' court instead of decommitting that he ends up here without the prep school. 

We have four more schollies to fill for 2019 so requesting Akol go to prep school for a year wouldn't make sense here, especially if we want him to come to Nebraska.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

We did use that scholarship. If we end up bringing in Aguek after Taylor signs and then still offer Nana then we end up not having room for Copeland. While Aguek did lose a year with that knee injury the pressing issue was roster management. With that being said it's quite possible that if Aguek had come back and put the ball in Miles' court instead of decommitting that he ends up here without the prep school. 

We have four more schollies to fill for 2019 so requesting Akol go to prep school for a year wouldn't make sense here, especially if we want him to come to Nebraska.

Aguek was a 2017 recruit, so he would have been on the team last year. I don't consider putting Borchardt on scholarship "landing anyone else" with it. Nebraska only had 12 players on scholarship heading into last year even after the late addition of Thor. Copeland was on the team already before Aguek's scholarship would have kicked in.

The reasoning for asking him to spend a year at prep school was that the coaches thought he needed another year of development, was it not?

17 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Aguek was a 2017 recruit, so he would have been on the team last year. I don't consider putting Borchardt on scholarship "landing anyone else" with it. Nebraska only had 12 players on scholarship heading into last year even after the late addition of Thor. Copeland was on the team already before Aguek's scholarship would have kicked in.

The reasoning for asking him to spend a year at prep school was that the coaches thought he needed another year of development, was it not?

You are thinking of scholarship fills as a once a year deal instead of a constantly changing entity. Nebraska did have an open scholarship at the start of the 2017 season but in January of 2017 they didn't have enough schollies in 2017 to bring in Copeland and Aguek. Either we oversign (which in hindsight would have worked out) or else not signed Copeland.  It's probably the latter.

Aguek did need more development but once again asking him to go to prep school happened because AW3 bolted. Had the bridge not been burned it seems like Aguek very well could have ended up at Nebraska redshirting anyway since we ultimately did have the scholarship.

image.png

image.png

On 9/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, noahjb24 said:

It would be super cool if we could coordinate with the players I know a lot of them watched Brady in the All-State game or whatever this summer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 9:13 AM, cjbowbros said:

Who are 39 and 49 in that video (I like them ?) and why are him and Donavan playing with a bunch of kids who look like they couldn't play jv in a class A high school.

That's what a lot of these camps are. No defense and they'll take you as long as you can pay. They're to produce highlights and that's pretty much it.