Jump to content
bigFRED

2019 Recruiting

Recommended Posts

On 1/23/2019 at 6:32 AM, nustudent said:

Its just par for the course with our front court recruiting.

Would you post this if we had a front court of Roby Jacobsen & Copeland w/ Morrow and Jordy coming off the bench behind them?

 

I think that would be a top 3 front court in the league....

 

Keeping bigs has been a bigger problem than recruiting them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Would you post this if we had a front court of Roby Jacobsen & Copeland w/ Morrow and Jordy coming off the bench behind them?

 

I think that would be a top 3 front court in the league....

 

Keeping bigs has been a bigger problem than recruiting them. 

A coaching staff has to recruit players, sign players and then manage those players when they arrive on campus.  Managing players has always been difficult, but it seems much more difficult these days with all of the outside influences (such as handlers, agents, social media, AAU influence and so forth) that permeate a players mind.  

 

I think most every program faces the difficult challenge of managing players, not just the Husker team.  And oh by the way, I don't think it is just the bigs that have left here (and obviously elsewhere) we have had our share of back court players leave as well (Horne, Smith, et al)-----we also lost McVeigh this past off-season, he too was considered a front-court player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Would you post this if we had a front court of Roby Jacobsen & Copeland w/ Morrow and Jordy coming off the bench behind them?

 

I think that would be a top 3 front court in the league....

  

Keeping bigs has been a bigger problem than recruiting them. 

No, but we don't have Morrow or Jacobson

Recruiting is about filling needs.   If they move on...that's fine...but you have to replace them.   We haven't done so.   We've lacked front court talent, depth, experience (or worse...all 3) in every year Miles has been here.   It's a glaring hole.  

 

For as great as he has been with bringing in  talented wings....you can't play with 5 wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, I know, a lot of teams have talented bigs and depth of bigs.  Huskers indeed struggled in this category, with precious few coming our way.  Part of that is our limited population base, and I know, I know that is just an excuse.  That all said, finding a male in the USA 6'8" or taller is a difficult task; then, add to that, the person has to be coordinated, talented and have a desire to play basketball, is difficult at best.  

 

I ran across this site, it is sort of interesting.  Plug in some numbers:

 

https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Well we can probably put this thread to rest for a few months 

 

Not hearing news would be disappointing to me.  That would mean, I believe, that Miles has given up.  So I hope we continue to hear news.  Miles said last night that we're "not out of it" yet.  If true, and he truly believes that, he needs to recruit like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Hoiberg is in fact the guy, he will more than likely be able to keep any recruit from the class if he chooses to do so. Same goes for every returning player imo. 

 

Oh hey Roby, wanna play in the NBA??? Dont worry i know exactly what level you need to be on and what skills you need bc i coached with and against NBA forwards EVERY SINGLE GAME.

 

Now who he chooses to keep is a different story.

 

*Minus Nana. I think. Hes gone no matter who the next coach is.

Edited by khoock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, khoock said:

If Hoiberg is in fact the guy, he will more than likely be able to keep any recruit from the class if he chooses to do so. Same goes for every returning player imo. 

 

Oh hey Roby, wanna play in the NBA??? Dont worry i know exactly what level you need to be on and what skills you need bc i coached with and against NBA forwards EVERY SINGLE GAME.

 

Now who he chooses to keep is a different story.

 

*Minus Nana. I think. Hes gone no matter who the next coach is.

Apparently there is an Iowa State player named Cam Lard transferring that may be a strong possibility for Nebraska with Hoiberg. He's mentioned in the Cyclone Fanatic thread linked in the main forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BugeaterZ said:

Apparently there is an Iowa State player named Cam Lard transferring that may be a strong possibility for Nebraska with Hoiberg. He's mentioned in the Cyclone Fanatic thread linked in the main forum.

 

Wouldn't that be something if we landed a guy who was losing PT to Michael Jacobson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting what philosophy our new coach brings to the table.  We certainly can/could/should anticipate transfers.  But perhaps they will want JUCO vs. Transfers.  Then will they want Graduate transfers or transfers with more eligibility?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Doesnt seem like ability/talent was the reason he was losing PT

 

Not living up to it was the case. He was basically Tyler Cook as a freshman.

BTW he redshirted his first year so he has to sit one to play one unless he gets a waiver.

FWIW Hoiberg is the only person who ever got a good year out of Royce White

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

93.7 yesterday was discussing a Minneapolis journalist whose "sources" said Hoiberg already had contacted a 2019 Top 100 recruit on behalf of NU.

 

Since I'm in the mode now of every source is accurate (as long as they say something I like to hear), any guesses on who this might be? Someone uncommitted, maybe in the Midwest, since the source was in the Minneapolis area? Or maybe someone who's having second thoughts because of a coaching change? I don't follow top-level recruiting enough to even make a guess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, throwback said:

93.7 yesterday was discussing a Minneapolis journalist whose "sources" said Hoiberg already had contacted a 2019 Top 100 recruit on behalf of NU.

 

Since I'm in the mode now of every source is accurate (as long as they say something I like to hear), any guesses on who this might be? Someone uncommitted, maybe in the Midwest, since the source was in the Minneapolis area? Or maybe someone who's having second thoughts because of a coaching change? I don't follow top-level recruiting enough to even make a guess.

 

Here's a place to start looking (Rivals's top 150 list): https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, throwback said:

93.7 yesterday was discussing a Minneapolis journalist whose "sources" said Hoiberg already had contacted a 2019 Top 100 recruit on behalf of NU.

 

Since I'm in the mode now of every source is accurate (as long as they say something I like to hear), any guesses on who this might be? Someone uncommitted, maybe in the Midwest, since the source was in the Minneapolis area? Or maybe someone who's having second thoughts because of a coaching change? I don't follow top-level recruiting enough to even make a guess.

 

Here is a list of the top 150 recruits from Minnesota

  7. Matthew Hurt - (Has offer from us and every school in Div 1)

30. Zeke Nnaji (6'10" 215 PF) (Had offer from us, did visit) (Verbal to Arizona)

73. Tyrell Terry (PG) (signed to Stanford)

 

I'm not really seeing anyone else in the realm of a Minny journalist. Re-kicking the tires on Hurt couldn't....errr.....hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

Here is a list of the top 150 recruits from Minnesota

  7. Matthew Hurt - (Has offer from us and every school in Div 1)

30. Zeke Nnaji (6'10" 215 PF) (Had offer from us, did visit) (Verbal to Arizona)

73. Tyrell Terry (PG) (signed to Stanford)

 

I'm not really seeing anyone else in the realm of a Minny journalist. Re-kicking the tires on Hurt couldn't....errr.....hurt.

 

Gotta be Matt Hurt, given the source of the info.

 

I'm good with the other Hurt, so good. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

Here is a list of the top 150 recruits from Minnesota

  7. Matthew Hurt - (Has offer from us and every school in Div 1)

30. Zeke Nnaji (6'10" 215 PF) (Had offer from us, did visit) (Verbal to Arizona)

73. Tyrell Terry (PG) (signed to Stanford)

 

I'm not really seeing anyone else in the realm of a Minny journalist. Re-kicking the tires on Hurt couldn't....errr.....hurt.

With the issues at Arizona, wouldn't be surprised if Nnaji was quietly sniffing around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...