2019 Recruiting

bigFRED

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I was trying to remember this guy's name for like 3 days because I was trying to remember including seeing your post yesterday. Today "hepa filter" popped into my head.

To me recruiting guys from Texas and the West Coast with their lack of B1G Network seems like you're recruiting guys with a built in excuses to transfer if they would actually come here in the first place. That's just me though

Sounds pretty legit to me ( meaning your thoughts on recruiting those areas).

• 2 weeks later...

So do we apply for for an extra year for Tanner since he wasted his whole sophomore season for 1 minute of game action?

If we get it, does he stay on scholarship or does he go back to a walk on?

I would say ideal situation: Tanner gets a fifth year goes back as a walk on, we pick up a grad transfer F/C, and a another front court player that we could redshirt (transfer or freshman).

1 minute ago, khoock said:

So do we apply for for an extra year for Tanner since he wasted his whole sophomore season for 1 minute of game action?

If we get it, does he stay on scholarship or does he go back to a walk on?

I would say ideal situation: Tanner gets a fifth year goes back as a walk on, we pick up a grad transfer F/C, and a another front court player that we could redshirt (transfer or freshman).

Sorry, but if Tanner applies for a fifth year, he won't stay as a walk-on.  Why pay for a year of school yourself to stay and play?  Especially since there is probably no basketball in his future after this.  I would love one more year out of a solid back-up Tanner.  However, if we tell him that he'll only be a walk-on.... I believe he will be gone and I wouldn't blame him.

Everybody likes Tanner. :nod: I think the value he adds to the team will only increase as the season progresses and I'm sure all of us would like to see him play another season.  But I don't know how Tanner feels about it.  I think I remember reading elsewhere, or maybe in a prior thread, that he was not too keen on returning for another year. :(

21 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If we did get in on him, we would have to 100% use that last scholarship on a big.  Looks like Green is a guard at 6'0".

Ya he was a top 30 player a few years ago out of Pennsylvania. I really think the staff should be over recruiting. Have two open schollys but should be taking 3 more recruits 

Quade Green was a heavy lean to Syracuse before he went to Kentucky. Have to think that either they or former assistant Mike Hopkins in Washington have the inside track.

Looks like Villanova's 5 star is pissed that he hasn't really played so might be a spot open there as well soon.  That guy was a commit to Arizona before the whole FBI thing happened

36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Quade Green was a heavy lean to Syracuse before he went to Kentucky. Have to think that either they or former assistant Mike Hopkins in Washington have the inside track.

Looks like Villanova's 5 star is pissed that he hasn't really played so might be a spot open there as well soon.  That guy was a commit to Arizona before the whole FBI thing happened

Jahvon quinerly? And any clue how the whole attracting transfer recruits works? Does it just start w a call or a text and by chance the kids interested in us? 

Edited by B-town hoopsfan

41 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

We could definitely do better but then again we have done worse or the same. Would end up being eligibile in Jan. 1st of 2020 I think 

4 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

We could definitely do better but then again we have done worse or the same. Would end up being eligibile in Jan. 1st of 2020 I think 

Not saying it's someone we SHOULD prioritize. Just a thought. We need a post pretty bad. Might not be the best option but it might be a good option. 

Looking at our group for next year again (Long wait till next game).. One more decent front court player can be the difference between bubble team and bottom 4 B1G.. Just need that 1 guy that can start at the 4 with Roby or be a lift off the bench along with Brady.

Amir

Tom

Daichon

Nana

Roby

Jervay

Brady

Mika

Akol

Karrington

Thor

Just now, noahjb24 said:

Looking at our group for next year again (Long wait till next game).. One more decent front court player can be the difference between bubble team and bottom 4 B1G.. Just need that 1 guy that can start at the 4 with Roby or be a lift off the bench along with Brady.

Amir

Tom

Daichon

Nana

Roby

Jervay

Brady

Mika

Akol

Karrington

Thor

I agree that we are a decent front court player away from being sneaky good.  However, looking at that roster right there, I just have a hard time seeing a "bottom" four of the Big 10.  To me, that roster screams 6-10.  We still have some decent shooting with Tom and Nana.  Have the experience with Roby.  A wildcard but more like a draw four wild card in "Uno" in Burke, and the you have Jervay to go along with that.  Brady has shown flashes and he will only be bigger and better.

I am one who also likes to look ahead (especially with such long breaks in between games). With all the new pieces, the overseas trip, and coming off our first tourney win, next year will be fun. Brady needs to make a decent jump in the offseason and we need to find a decent/good player that can play both the 4 and 5. 

I will continue to hammer it home that we need two bigs to fill out this class. I would prefer an immediate impact grad transfer who can play 4 and 5. Plus an additional front court player who we could either RS or have take on a role like Brady is doing currently.

But yes,  I am excited to see Roby and Tom lead the team next year along with Dachon and Jervay.

Edited by khoock

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

Amir

Tom

Daichon

Nana

Roby

Jervay

Brady

Mika

Akol

Karrington

Thor

I can’t see us having roby be the starter at the 5 again next year w a capable center on the roster and I don’t see nana being asked to play starting minutes against other 4s. I see starters next year as 

tom

jervay

burke

roby

brady or grad transfer big.

its gonna end up being one of our better benches we have had under miles too 

1 hour ago, noahjb24 said:

If we could get a good enough grad transfer to start at the 5 and push Roby to the 4, it'd be huge for us and Roby's draft stock

Agreed. It’s kinda discouraging how we recruit big men especially w only one target currently who doesn’t sound like an instant impact guy necessarily but that could all change very quickly at the end of the year with coaching changes and what not. A few years ago I don’t think we were even in on Thomas Allen until the shake up at NC st. 

I do think if zane Meeks is willing to play the 5(he’s a bit undersized) he could be a real diamond in the rough. 

Lots of options and, most exciting, unknowns!

Isaiah Roby -> can play 3 4 or 5

Thomas Allen -> 1 2

Nana Akenten -> 3 ~4

Jervay Green -> 1 2 3

Dachon Burke -> 2 3

Thor Thorbjarnarson -> ~2 3

Amir Harris -> 1 2 3 

Brady Heiman -> ~4 5

Karrington Davis -> ?2 ?3

Mika Adams-Woods -> 1

Akol Arop -> 3 4

?* no idea

~* i think they could play that spot but its not ideal or they havent yet.

Cant wait to see who else Tim Miles and Co. bring in. GBR

2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Agreed. It’s kinda discouraging how we recruit big men especially w only one target currently who doesn’t sound like an instant impact guy necessarily but that could all change very quickly at the end of the year with coaching changes and what not. A few years ago I don’t think we were even in on Thomas Allen until the shake up at NC st. 

I do think if zane Meeks is willing to play the 5(he’s a bit undersized) he could be a real diamond in the rough. 

Hes someone i could see us grabbing late if hes still available and nothing else pans out.

I think hes listed at 6'9 and 210-215 rn.

Edited by khoock