Rivalry

I think the football team works against your basketball team in some ways. People see NU football as a separate entity from the rest of the NU athletic department because of the strength of its brand and its history. Anyone who lives in nebraska has license to cheer for them, sort of thing. On the flip side, most jayskers I've met grew up in Omaha and they feel the same way about Creighton basketball, identifying with the program as an Omahan. I do agree though, its always unsettling when you meet people who root for/financially support the NU football program, then root for Creighton basketball and treat NU basketball as a verbal punching bag. It might be so prominent because Omaha is the major population center of the state, but a large portion of UNL students come from Omaha. A weird duality that I have never really had to confront because I think football is very boring.

35 minutes ago, bleujay said:

I think the football team works against your basketball team in some ways. People see NU football as a separate entity from the rest of the NU athletic department because of the strength of its brand and its history. Anyone who lives in nebraska has license to cheer for them, sort of thing. On the flip side, most jayskers I've met grew up in Omaha and they feel the same way about Creighton basketball, identifying with the program as an Omahan. I do agree though, its always unsettling when you meet people who root for/financially support the NU football program, then root for Creighton basketball and treat NU basketball as a verbal punching bag. It might be so prominent because Omaha is the major population center of the state, but a large portion of UNL students come from Omaha. A weird duality that I have never really had to confront because I think football is very boring.

You must really think football is boring if you would rather spend your time on your rivals message board, although hard to blame you given the quality of this board in relation to the joke of a board you all have,  

7 hours ago, bleujay said:

You're a dummy. Tell you what, if creighton beats Nebraska this year, Ill promise to piss on grant gibbs if he was on fire. Deal?

6 minutes ago, Samborini said:

You're a dummy. Tell you what, if creighton beats Nebraska this year, Ill promise to piss on grant gibbs if he was on fire. Deal?

The Gibber won't need to be put out if he's ever on fire. He's an expert at the drop and roll.

Of course, his technique requires dropping onto another person wearing a different colored shirt and rolling around on top of them with his elbows flailing wildly. But he'd surely put himself out eventually.

Edited by throwback

18 hours ago, bleujay said:

The only boring futbol is the one played at Creighton.

9 hours ago, throwback said:

The Gibber won't need to be put out if he's ever on fire. He's an expert at the drop and roll.

Of course, his technique requires dropping onto another person wearing a different colored shirt and rolling around on top of them with his elbows flailing wildly. But he'd surely put himself out eventually.

Now THAT is funny

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

This is the sport that I'd like Nebraska to develop a real rivalry with Iowa.

This is the sport in which I'd rather have Nebraska develop a rivalry with Michigan.  We're shooting low if we shoot for Iowa.

Actually, I think Wisconsin lines up to be more of our natural rival in football, and those things tend to bleed over into other sports in which both schools are competitive.  I'd like nothing more than to have Wisconsin become a natural rival in football and, therefore, in basketball.  If our two schools can become the top two programs in the western half of the Big 10, we'd be doing OK.

Let Iowa have Minnesota.  Let them fight over Floyd of Rosedale.  I'd rather rival Wisconsin, a more worthy foe.

Edited by Norm Peterson

25 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

This is the sport in which I'd rather have Nebraska develop a rivalry with Michigan.  We're shooting low if we shoot for Iowa.

Actually, I think Wisconsin lines up to be more of our natural rival in football, and those things tend to bleed over into other sports in which both schools are competitive.  I'd like nothing more than to have Wisconsin become a natural rival in football and, therefore, in basketball.  If our two schools can become the top two programs in the western half of the Big 10, we'd be doing OK.

Let Iowa have Minnesota.  Let them fight over Floyd of Rosedale.  I'd rather rival Wisconsin, a more worthy foe.

Agree Norm, if we want a conference rival lets make it Wisconsin.

12 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

So, we are in agreement that Creighton is not the primary basketball rival for Nebraska.  Goodness it is so confusing;  you have Creighton University, Creighton Prep and the Creighton NE Bulldogs.  I sort of like one of those three schools.

Don't get me started on the Bulldogs. That's where my first wife went to school. Grrrrr.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:26 PM, royalfan said:

You must really think football is boring if you would rather spend your time on your rivals message board, although hard to blame you given the quality of this board in relation to the joke of a board you all have,  

Yes. I don't like watching football, it bores me to tears. Reading comments like these never gets old! 

Edited by bleujay

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Agreed, let Goldy and the Hawkeyes fight it out over a little Pig trophy named after a Shopping Mall. Cultivating a rivalry with Iowa in ANY sport diminishes our Brand...

On 6/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, royalfan said:

The people that are UNL alumni, husker  football fans, Creighton hoops fans, and hate nebrasketball really drive me crazy.  One thing to pull fir Creighton.  A complete different thing to treat Nebraska like the most hated team on earth.  

Amen. After all, I am a quasi traitor in having adopted Northwestern as one of my teams during grad school.

However, it was an augmentation, not a replacement.

23 minutes ago, Noah121 said:

Amen. After all, I am a quasi traitor in having adopted Northwestern as one of my teams during grad school.

Noah, we all know you are a terrific Husker fan (I still miss seeing the hard hat and dancing); but I forget who you cheered for when Northwestern and Nebraska played during your grad school days?

2 hours ago, Noah121 said:

Probably a wiser course of action with regards to cheering for the school you are attending for grad school.  I just learned to despise Missouri more while in grad school.