The Top 25 thread

JBARGIE

By the way, has anyone been over on Red Sea Scrolls lately?

The Nebrasketball haters dominate nearly every basketball thread over there.  There are a handful of posters, in particular, who absolutely shut down every basketball thread with unrelenting, vile and vicious stuff.  I think it’s the worst-ever over there—and I’ve been there a long time.

So, it’s refreshing on this board to read posts (like this one) from people who actually like the Huskers—hopefully the Scrolls folks don’t bring their venom over here!

I’m guessing it’s a sign of fear, among some over there, that Nebrasketball might actually be getting it together.

If it weren’t for Robin Washut’s information and insights on basketball, I’d drop my Red Sea Scrolls subscription in a heartbeat.  In fact, upon writing this, I can’t believe I’m actually paying to read that garbage.

Edited by Swan88

6 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

If healthy, I fully expect Davis to get more minutes than either Thor or Nana.  I also expect he will be the guy that fans say "why the f is Davis playing more minutes than (insert player x)?"  I see him as a dude who will show up everyday in practice and be willing to do all of the little non-stat filling things that coaches love but fan don't fully appreciate.  Like Evan Taylor, or Benny Parker, or David Rivers, the list goes on and on.  He'll be that guy.  Obviously all that goes out the window if he's not fully recovered, in which case my guess is Thor takes the last spot in the rotation over Nana.

I have to say I really like our recruiting class.  From what little I've seen, I think Davis is a player.  Assuming he's healthy, I semi-agree with what you have to say about him getting minutes.  Not yet ready to elevate him over Thor and Nana, but he's good enough to give them both a run, and maybe he does overtake them both for minutes.  He's one of those guys who just has that touch thing.  Seems like he can throw the ball in the direction of the rim and it just goes in.  He's extremely quick getting shots off in catch-and-shoot situations. And he seems to have a little James Palmer on the drive in him.  

I also agree that, from what I've seen, Thor takes the last spot in the rotation over Nana.  Thor is just savvy.  Seems to have really high hoops IQ and just sort of intuitively knows what to do.  He's kind of inventive.  I think he's going to be fun to watch.

16 hours ago, Swan88 said:

By the way, has anyone been over on Red Sea Scrolls lately?

The Nebrasketball haters dominate nearly every basketball thread over there.  There are a handful of posters, in particular, who absolutely shut down every basketball thread with unrelenting, vile and vicious stuff.  I think it’s the worst-ever over there—and I’ve been there a long time.

So, it’s refreshing on this board to read posts (like this one) from people who actually like the Huskers—hopefully the Scrolls folks don’t bring their venom over here!

I’m guessing it’s a sign of fear, among some over there, that Nebrasketball might actually be getting it together.

If it weren’t for Robin Washut’s information and insights on basketball, I’d drop my Red Sea Scrolls subscription in a heartbeat.  In fact, upon writing this, I can’t believe I’m actually paying to read that garbage.

The scrolls has become a complete dumpster fire when it comes to basketball talk. I would drop it in a heartbeat as well if it wasn’t for the mods that produce good information. 

I have now spent money on Hail Varsity’s online service because the articles are jut as good if not better and they cover basketball just as much.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:52 PM, 49r said:

Yeah, Wisconsin hoops depends on a bunch of nobodies developing and learning their system - always has.  That's the beauty of it and it's also why you can't ever count them out of being in contention.  Just because they don't have a roster full of 4 and 5 star guys really doesn't mean anything.

Not sure this works without Bo Ryan there. Maybe last year was a fluke.... Maybe not

16 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Not sure this works without Bo Ryan there. Maybe last year was a fluke.... Maybe not

Sure, that's the X factor.  But Gard getting his first two teams to the Sweet 16 leads me to think that it's more likely last year was a fluke.

10 minutes ago, swoof said:

And there are people who actually thought we should have fired the coach after each of the last 4 seasons.  #SMDH

4 hours ago, swoof said:

I have a lot of respect for Andy Katz, but I was a little surprised by how high he had us.  But I like it, and hopefully the national pundits will trust his opinion. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And there are people who actually thought we should have fired the coach after each of the last 4 seasons.  #SMDH

There are people still who think Moos made a huge mistake in not letting him go.  For those folks, I'm afraid that nothing will convince them.  Miles could win the natty next year and they'll be howling for his termination.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24199936/kansas-jayhawks-gonzaga-bulldogs-lead-espn-college-basketball-bpi-2018

Preseason BPI Top 50:

8 Wisky

13 Michigan St.

26 NW

37 Purdue

38 Maryland

40 Michigan

42 Penn St.

43 Minnesota

46 Nebraska

Not sure how you cook up the numbers to get us 9th.

Some head scratchers for sure...Wiscy at 8? Iowa at 19?  NW/PSU/MINN all ranked ahead of us? Not seeing it. 

Based on the criteria I'm assuming we are getting dinged for lack of stars with the incoming class and coach's past performance.  What they are using to judge past performance I don't know.  If you simply just look at win/loss record then you would say Miles did a crappy job at CSU.  Of course, if you add context in that he literally started from scratch and built them to a NCAA team then it makes things look much better.   

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Some head scratchers for sure...Wiscy at 8? Iowa at 19?  NW/PSU/MINN all ranked ahead of us? Not seeing it. 

Based on the criteria I'm assuming we are getting dinged for lack of stars with the incoming class and coach's past performance.  What they are using to judge past performance I don't know.  If you simply just look at win/loss record then you would say Miles did a crappy job at CSU.  Of course, if you add context in that he literally started from scratch and built them to a NCAA team then it makes things look much better.   

so we are actually 10th then if Iowa is 19th...  Iowa and Northwestern are biggest head scratchers to me besides us being so low.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, 49r said:

There are people still who think Moos made a huge mistake in not letting him go.  For those folks, I'm afraid that nothing will convince them.  Miles could win the natty next year and they'll be howling for his termination.

Moos could pick up Coach "K" at the airport, drive him to PBA in a white Bronco on "Live" TV and some people would still bitch... 

On 7/30/2018 at 7:14 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24199936/kansas-jayhawks-gonzaga-bulldogs-lead-espn-college-basketball-bpi-2018

Preseason BPI Top 50:

8 Wisky

13 Michigan St.

26 NW

37 Purdue

38 Maryland

40 Michigan

42 Penn St.

43 Minnesota

46 Nebraska

Not sure how you cook up the numbers to get us 9th.

ESPN Loses Its Mind In BPI Ratings

The preseason BPI ratings are up and . . . they’re terrible.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/7/30/17628684/espn-loses-its-mind-2018-college-basketball-bpi-basketball-index-ratings-big-ten-indiana-michigan

Nebraska is predicted to finish 12th... Right?  What makes it worse is in that article above they say,  "it's terrible",  but no mention of Nebraska predicted to finish 12th.  The same Nebraska team that brings back all of it's core players of a team that finished 4th last year.  What a bunch of bull****!

To be honest I like it, because it gives this team motivation.  Even after last years screw job, we continue to get no love from ESPN!