Mixed Blessing? Lunchtime musing

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

I may not be remembering correctly, but it seemed that Gallegos was the only one who really moved around when he didn't have the ball, also.  Teams had to chase him around all the time.  Everybody else on that team seemed to want to wait until they had an isolation play or would just chuck up a 3 when they wanted to.  They were a lot easier to defend without Gallegos.

And Gallegos was an EXCELLENT perimeter defender his senior year.  He neutralized most teams with quick guards.  

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If Jordy had Smith's knowledge of the game and all of its intricacies, he'd be an all conference type of player.

Agree.   I'd take Smith over Jordy.   I guess you can say his upside is higher, but Smith knew his role and did it well.   Smith was more efficient.  I'd love to have him/someone just like him on the roster this coming season.

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

Agree.   I'd take Smith over Jordy.   I guess you can say his upside is higher, but Smith knew his role and did it well.   Smith was more efficient.  I'd love to have him/someone just like him on the roster this coming season.

Put me in the Jordy camp.  The best is yet to come from Jordy.

It is simple we have 3 legit NBA caliber players next year in Palmer, Copeland and Roby.  2014 and 2015 we had one Petteway.

To add to that we have Glynn Watson as a Senior, and a true Center who is developing into his own in Jordy

Palmer = Petteway

Copeland, Watson, Roby > Any other player on the roster

Jordy, Allen > All players not named Shavon Shields

Shields, Petteway and Pitchford would be the only 3 that would get PT on next years team.  Petteway would be the only starter.  Just think about that for a minute.  Shavon Shields would not even start on next years team.

Combine both years Rosters the starting 5

Watson

Petteway

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

6th man = Shields

Jordy

Allen

Pitchford

? What a team that would be right there

Edited by big red22

seems pretty simple. if your choice is to have returning experience and talent versus untested and unknown talent and less or no experience, A should be the choice every single time. 

you embrace the best odds. and this team largely returning intact provides the best odds of finally winning a tourney game.

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Totally agree.  The way Jordy finished the season was quite a bit better than what Smith brought to the table.  I'm expecting Jordy to make a solid contribution to a very good team this year.  He's more than capable.  

Jordy has some work to do but I think he's capable of doing it.  He has a role -- a very important role -- and it isn't necessarily to score a bunch.  We need him to rebound and protect the lane.  We need him to wear down opposing bigs.  And if he gets a chance to catch and turn and dunk, he needs to be able to corral the ball to do that.

A bonus would be if he posts up, that he's able to execute a post move immediately when he receives the entry pass so that the defense doesn't have time to collapse on him.  Jordy turned the ball over 37 times last year and the bulk of that, I'm sure, was getting stripped when he got the ball down low because he pauses, tries to size up his defender, before he tries to execute any sort of move.  In the meantime, some defender comes from his blind side and ...

Jordy needs a couple of go-to moves that he has down so routinely that he doesn't need to stop and think when the ball comes his way.

My issues with Jordy aren’t that he’s not Olajuwon or Mutombo.   It’s that too often he thinks he is and tries doing too much on one side of the court and ends up needlessly turning it over or committing a stupid foul.  

If he embraces his role and plays efficiently, than he is an asset.   If he continues to commit dumb fouls, miss layups, turn it over, then play a smaller more skilled lineup 

12 hours ago, nustudent said:

My issues with Jordy aren’t that he’s not Olajuwon or Mutombo.   It’s that too often he thinks he is and tries doing too much on one side of the court and ends up needlessly turning it over or committing a stupid foul.  

If he embraces his role and plays efficiently, than he is an asset.   If he continues to commit dumb fouls, miss layups, turn it over, then play a smaller more skilled lineup 

The big issue to me seems simple; but if you have played or coached the game, you will get it.  The problem is that he does "think" rather than "act"!  I have attributed that to his lack of experience; but that has to change this season.  He needs to let his talent  loose and stop over thinking everything.  

I expect substantial improve for Jordy this season...but we shall see.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

The big issue to me seems simple; but if you have played or coached the game, you will get it.  The problem is that he does "think" rather than "act"!  I have attributed that to his lack of experience; but that has to change this season.  He needs to let his talent  loose and stop over thinking everything.  

I expect substantial improve for Jordy this season...but we shall see.

I agree, he gets to that point look out.